Not sure if this is in the right section, but . . . Does anyone have an tips on how to reduce the amount of sweat that manages to drip down into your eyes? I get pretty sweaty even when I'm not going anywhere near flat out, and after a while it gets to the point where I have to stop riding because I can't keep my eyes open or see anything because of the stinging in my eyes. Riding in the rain is just as bad as the salt from the dried sweat in my helmet gets picked up and washed into my eyes too. It's mostly a problem when I am wearing normal glasses during the week instead of the usual cycling type shades, as I don't want to have to wear contacts every day. Would something like a cycling cap help to solve this problem? Any other tips would be appreciated. I was thinking of taking up cycling competitively next year, and having to stop because I can't see would get annoying!
Road Cycling · Public discussion
Sweating so much that you can't see!
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Road Cycling
- Published
- 15 August 2013
- Last activity
- 22 January 2016
- Original author
- t0m4ever
- Posts
- 20
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 2,139
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
I suffer from this, too, and recently started wearing a little skull cap that I found at Performance Bikes. It's made by Headsweats and I just put it on under my helmet. To put it to the test, I took a 2 hour ride in 90+ degree temps with high humidity (that's an average day in central VA this time of year) and it kept the sweat out of my eyes completely. I then bought 3 more.
One thing I learned, after a couple of trips, was that placement is important. Need to have the edge of the cap pulled down to just over my eyebrows for maximum moisture retention in the eye area.
As far as the dried sweat in your helmet, I think you need to take a shower in your helmet to get that cleaned off. Or buy a new helmet.
JMHO.Brian in VA
-
Thanks, I'll get hold of one and hopefully that'll make the difference.
Now I just have to find one that suits, that's the only problem with cycling - there is far too much choice!
-
I use a cap from SweatVac. Works exceedingly well.
-
"It's mostly a problem when I am wearing normal glasses during the week instead of the usual cycling type shades,"
I noticed that when I switched from taller (say 45-50 MM) prescription glasses and sunglasses to more narrow (25-30 MM tall) lenses there was an immediate reduction of the sweat that got into my eyes...much better ventilation and the area behind the lenses is drier.
-
I have a head sweats headband. Works pretty well
-
My head sweat isn't that bad, but I like trad cotton cycling caps in the rain. The water seems to collect in the brim and blow off to the side before it can end up in my eyes.
-
Headsweats brand doo rag works for me.
-
I don't suffer from this problem. Sometimes my head will get sweaty on particularly hot days but I always wear a cap. This seems to do the trick but it does stink when I get back home and need to put it in the wash. Therefore, I keep several caps around in case I don't get round to cleaning it on the same day. Head bands should do the trick for those that sweat profusely.
-
My head sweat is not too bad but I have tried out headbands in the past however I found that they made me overheat quite a lot and thus increased my sweating. My head sweat is not too bad as I say so I naturally just shake it off when it gathers up. I mainly sweat on my back which I really do hate.
-
Old thread.... but my teeth sweat on a hard, hot ride but the old Halo band works well.
-
jhuskey said:
Old thread.... but my teeth sweat on a hard, hot ride but the old Halo band works well.
Teeth sweating?
I have seriously never heard of that before. How does that happen?
-
Quoted post said:
Teeth sweating?
I have seriously never heard of that before. How does that happen?
It occurs when your sweat glands overload and the body goes into overload mode. Your water bottle generally melts and
runs down the frame just before this occurs. -
Skullcaps are great help. Make sure that your helmet is white or some kind of color that isn't dark. Dark attracts The Light Rays which intensify the heat on your head. White reflects the light waves so that there is less heat.
-
jhuskey said:
Old thread.... but my teeth sweat on a hard, hot ride but the old Halo band works well.
I'm not sure if I've ever heard of that case before. Did you mean to say your feet sweat?
-
I had the same issue before. I tried using a bandana but depending on the material some are not absorbing enough sweat until I found the headband made our of absorbent cotton.
-
Quoted post said:
I'm not sure if I've ever heard of that case before. Did you mean to say your feet sweat?
No I mean I get so hot there is not a dry spot on me and I begin to sweat from my internal organs. 🙂
-
jhuskey said:
It occurs when your sweat glands overload and the body goes into overload mode. Your water bottle generally melts and
runs down the frame just before this occurs.Ahh I see.
With global warming I'll have to keep an eye out for that in the future 😉
-
Interesting how some people sweat and others don't. If you sweat a lot it is a sign of great hydration in the body and clear pores. No sweat, clogged up system and possible dehydration.
The headbands and maybe some kind of sun goggles. Swim googles, Lol. -
You could try wearing a headband or bandana. That will prevent the sweat from getting into your eyes.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.