Swimming and dehydration.

MJuric

Guest
I spent a rather lengthy session in a pool thi sweekend for a class. I had suspicions before this
weekend that cold or cool water had a tendancy to cause me to shed water. Knowing I was going into
this class I paid specific attention to my urine color. Before I entered the pool the first time my
color was fairly yellow indicating a rather low hydration level. I did not drink anything on purpose
nor had I had anthing to drink in the previous 2-3 hrs or more. After being in the pool for about an
hour and half, not doing heavy activity mostly drills, off I went again. This time It was clear. I
was in the pool for around a total of 4 hours and urintated several times all with clear results. I
also never, on purpose, drank anything. About 2 hrs after exiting the pool I went again this time
the urine was very brightly yellow indicating very low hydration level. This seems to be a very
typical cycle for me, although thsi is the first time I specifically noted times, color etc. My
question is what Process(s) is taking place to cause the body to shed water like this? And the
second question is how does one counteract this reaction, particularlly if a person is in a
triathlon situaton?

~Matt

In article <[email protected]>, <MJuric> wrote:
>I spent a rather lengthy session in a pool thi sweekend for a class. I had suspicions before this
>weekend that cold or cool water had a tendancy to cause me to shed water. Knowing I was going
>into this

It's a typical human response to cold water. Poke around in diving lit (or the newsgroup) and you
can probably find someone to explain the physiology behind it.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

<MJuric> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I spent a rather lengthy session in a pool thi sweekend for a class. I had suspicions before this
> weekend that cold or cool water had a tendancy to cause me to shed water. Knowing I was going into
> this class I paid specific attention to my urine color. Before I entered the pool the first time
> my color was fairly yellow indicating a rather low hydration level. I did not drink anything on
> purpose nor had I had anthing to drink in the previous 2-3 hrs or more. After being in the pool
> for about an hour and half, not doing heavy activity mostly drills, off I went again. This time It
> was clear. I was in the pool for around a total of 4 hours and urintated several times all with
> clear results. I also never, on purpose, drank anything. About 2 hrs after exiting the pool I went
> again this time the urine was very brightly yellow indicating very low hydration level. This seems
> to be a very typical cycle for me, although thsi is the first time I specifically noted times,
> color etc. My question is what Process(s) is taking place to cause the body to shed water like
> this? And the second question is how does one counteract this reaction, particularlly if a person
> is in a triathlon situaton?
>
> ~Matt

Welcome to our ool. You'll notice there is no 'p' in it. Please keep it that way.

Its odd I just noticed this too. What I like about it is after a combined 2 hour swim/workout I
usually am a few pound lighter on the scale! But it does seem strange. I hope its a healthy thing.
No one else brings water to drink while in the pool.

sorry, i can't really respond to this, but i did recently experience the ill effects of not being
well hydrated before a swim. i intended to do a
1.5-2 hour workout, but partway through my main set, i suffered a crippling cramp in the calf
muscle. after a lot of massaging, it settled down, but i just didn't feel right to continue much
after that. just a few really easy laps, and the leg kept feeling like it was about to cramp up
again. i've heard that lack of potassium and hydration can lead to this problem, and i believe it.

in hindsight, i should not have attempted this long workout so long (three or so hours) after my
last food intake. a small snack nearer to the swim would have helped, i'll bet. and i hadn't been
drinking many fluids that day, either.

does this ring true for anyone else? so while that workout was cut short by the cramp, i must
mention that i was right in the midst of setting a new distance record for myself... a continuous
450m swim, pretty darned amazing for me, who could barely do 100m easily last fall. ok, next time
i'll snack prior to the swim, and will bring a water bottle to the pool.

Cam

MJuric wrote:

> I spent a rather lengthy session in a pool thi sweekend for a class. I had suspicions before this
> weekend that cold or cool water had a tendancy to cause me to shed water.

Warm water will do it too, but by causing you to sweat a lot. If you work hard

"Go hard or go home."

martin

--
Martin Smith email: [email protected] Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
P.O. Box 482 mob. : +47 932 48 303 1327 Lysaker, Norway