Swimming - let's try this clarification

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:38:39 -0500, "James Goddard" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"topdog" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> endurance. Why do I say this? Because the fewer strokes you take, the more work you do, the more
>> you increase RESISTANCE. It requires more strength per stroke, pure and simple. It requires
>> muscle endurance to maintain the form.
>
>You don't take fewer strokes by stroking harder! You take fewer strokes by improving your form
>and DECREASING your resistance in the water. Improving your stroke make swimming less work, not
>more work.

For every stroke you take, there is both "input" work (how much energy you expend) and "output" work
(how much of the expended energy that provides useful propulsion in a forward direction). I think
what he means is that by taking fewer strokes, but milking every bit of useful propulsion out of
your stroke, you will swim more efficiently, meaning that you get a higer ratio of output work to
input work. But this requires sustainable strength. For example, many beginning swimmers waste first
and last part of their strokes because they're only pulling when their hand is in front of them. To
correct this problem, they must increase the sustainable power output from their triceps, lats, and
other upper body muscles. Even if they have good technique, they cannot sustain it for very long if
they don't have the upper body muscle endurance.

"James Goddard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Jill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > (and the Gulf of Mexico is actually usually fairly calm. We just agitate it special for the
> > folks who come down for Gulf Coast and IMFL. Can't have the swim be as flat as the bike and
> > run are)
>
> Hmm, are you forgetting hurricane season?

A couple of days of surf, then it's back to nearly flat within 24 hours of the storm going through.
Tom Henderson can vouch for how calm it was at Santa Rosa Island tri last year even though TS Izzy
was kicking up all kinds of surf less than two days before.

[email protected] (Jill) wrote in news:2b0b9381.0307141424.76d1c882 @posting.google.com:

> A couple of days of surf, then it's back to nearly flat within 24 hours of the storm going
> through. Tom Henderson can vouch for how calm it was at Santa Rosa Island tri last year even
> though TS Izzy was kicking up all kinds of surf less than two days before.

Yep. The Gulf was perfect. The roads were trashed and cause the bike course to be cut in half, but
the Gulf was flat.