Switching between Campy Ergo and Shimano STI

This is not a question about compatibility or which is better.

I have 9 road bikes and four have Shimano STI. I recently acquired an
88 Schwinn Circuit that I love and want to put modern components on
it. When Shimano went to 10 speed and their prices shot through the
roof I assumed I wouldn't buy their STIs again. Even the Tiagra 9sp
is now almost $300!

So I've considered Campy Veloce. Excel Sports has them for $139,
Nashbar for $169. It sounds great but my hands have been trained for
10+ years to quickly shift STIs. I worried that I would be forever
making the wrong shift when I jumped on the Campy bike.

So has anyone had experience switching back and forth between the
two? Please keep in mind that I'm not going to ditch my STIs. I'll
be constantly going back and forth between them.

TIA,
Tom

On Mar 2, 1:47 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> This is not a question about compatibility or which is better.
>
> I have 9 road bikes and four have Shimano STI. I recently acquired an
> 88 Schwinn Circuit that I love and want to put modern components on
> it. When Shimano went to 10 speed and their prices shot through the
> roof I assumed I wouldn't buy their STIs again. Even the Tiagra 9sp
> is now almost $300!
>
> So I've considered Campy Veloce. Excel Sports has them for $139,
> Nashbar for $169. It sounds great but my hands have been trained for
> 10+ years to quickly shift STIs. I worried that I would be forever
> making the wrong shift when I jumped on the Campy bike.
>
> So has anyone had experience switching back and forth between the
> two? Please keep in mind that I'm not going to ditch my STIs. I'll
> be constantly going back and forth between them.
>
> TIA,
> Tom

It is not that hard, very intuitive. Besides, if ya go up in stead of
down, so what.

2006 Veloce? or 2007?

On Mar 2, 3:47 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> This is not a question about compatibility or which is better.
>
> I have 9 road bikes and four have Shimano STI. I recently acquired an
> 88 Schwinn Circuit that I love and want to put modern components on
> it. When Shimano went to 10 speed and their prices shot through the
> roof I assumed I wouldn't buy their STIs again. Even the Tiagra 9sp
> is now almost $300!
>
> So I've considered Campy Veloce. Excel Sports has them for $139,
> Nashbar for $169. It sounds great but my hands have been trained for
> 10+ years to quickly shift STIs. I worried that I would be forever
> making the wrong shift when I jumped on the Campy bike.
>
> So has anyone had experience switching back and forth between the
> two? Please keep in mind that I'm not going to ditch my STIs. I'll
> be constantly going back and forth between them.

You'll be just fine. Ya might want to think about running a Shimano
compatible rear wheel and cassette with a Jtek Shiftmate so you can
interchange the wheels with the rest of the herd. You can run either a
Campy or Shimano rear mech depending on the Shiftmate version.

On Mar 2, 4:08 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> It is not that hard, very intuitive. Besides, if ya go up in stead of
> down, so what.

Most of the time it isn't a big deal. When accelerating out of a hole
in traffic it can be a very big deal. (I commute in morning rush
hour).

> 2006 Veloce? or 2007?- Hide quoted text -

Excel Sports has 2007 for $139:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...loce+Ergopower+QS+10sp+Levers&vendorCode=CAMP

Is there a functional difference between 2006 and 2007? I'm wondering
why you ask.

Tom

[email protected] wrote:
> This is not a question about compatibility or which is better.
>
> I have 9 road bikes and four have Shimano STI. I recently acquired an
> 88 Schwinn Circuit that I love and want to put modern components on
> it. When Shimano went to 10 speed and their prices shot through the
> roof I assumed I wouldn't buy their STIs again. Even the Tiagra 9sp
> is now almost $300!
>
> So I've considered Campy Veloce. Excel Sports has them for $139,
> Nashbar for $169. It sounds great but my hands have been trained for
> 10+ years to quickly shift STIs. I worried that I would be forever
> making the wrong shift when I jumped on the Campy bike.
>
> So has anyone had experience switching back and forth between the
> two? Please keep in mind that I'm not going to ditch my STIs. I'll
> be constantly going back and forth between them.
>
> TIA,
> Tom

fwiw, as a former hardcore campy fan, i got sick of failed campy index
collars, so i transitioned to sti for my main steeds. i found that
switch easy. don't find going back so easy tho. no logical reason as
both are simple and intuitive, just my experience every time i take one
of my campy bikes back on the road.

On 2 Mar 2007 13:47:45 -0800, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>This is not a question about compatibility or which is better.
>
>I have 9 road bikes and four have Shimano STI. I recently acquired an
>88 Schwinn Circuit that I love and want to put modern components on
>it. When Shimano went to 10 speed and their prices shot through the
>roof I assumed I wouldn't buy their STIs again. Even the Tiagra 9sp
>is now almost $300!
>
>So has anyone had experience switching back and forth between the
>two? Please keep in mind that I'm not going to ditch my STIs. I'll
>be constantly going back and forth between them.

I've got one of each, and usually ride each at least a couple times a
week. When I switch, I usually shift down a gear getting started, and
that seems to flip the mental switch that tells me which one I'm
riding today. Aside from the first, starting, shift, I probably blow
a shift 1-2 times a month. And of those, I can really only remember
one upshift heading up a roller that mattered. I have more trouble
hitting the middle ring without overshooting on the Shimano bike than
I have with the different shifters by a fair margin.

Pat

Email address works as is.

Have both and the switch is easy. The thumb sometimes goes for a ghost
shift on the STI levers, but the fingers figure things out pretty
quick by themselves.

In terms of prices, I see Centaurs around 169$ or less at lots of
places so go with that and try 2006 if possible. (See previous threads
for more info. e.g. http://tinyurl.com/2ylqnv.)

Josh

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote:

>> I have 9 road bikes and four have Shimano STI. I recently acquired an
>> 88 Schwinn Circuit that I love and want to put modern components on
>> it. When Shimano went to 10 speed and their prices shot through the
>> roof I assumed I wouldn't buy their STIs again. Even the Tiagra 9sp
>> is now almost $300!
>>
>> So I've considered Campy Veloce. Excel Sports has them for $139,
>> Nashbar for $169. It sounds great but my hands have been trained for
>> 10+ years to quickly shift STIs. I worried that I would be forever
>> making the wrong shift when I jumped on the Campy bike.
>>
>> So has anyone had experience switching back and forth between the
>> two? Please keep in mind that I'm not going to ditch my STIs. I'll
>> be constantly going back and forth between them.

>You'll be just fine. Ya might want to think about running a Shimano
>compatible rear wheel and cassette with a Jtek Shiftmate so you can
>interchange the wheels with the rest of the herd. You can run either a
>Campy or Shimano rear mech depending on the Shiftmate version.

Smokin' deal on the Veloce brifters. That's without a doubt what I'd
recommend). I built up the bike I ride the most these days with a
Veloce drive train, and haven't ever had a second thought about it.
And assuming the rest of your bikes are 9 speed, the mix-and-match
wheel options will all work flawlessly (the same applies if they were
all 10 speed).

I'm like others who say that they find the Campy design more intuitive
than the STI shift lever design.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

On Mar 2, 6:53 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Is there a functional difference between 2006 and 2007? I'm wondering
> why you ask.

Campy went to a cheaper lighter shifting mech for 2007 on Veloce and
Centaur. I think it will only shift one gear at a time now, whereas
the old style shifted multiple gears. Only Chorus and Record will do
that now.

I bought some 2006 Veloce shifters for $95 a couple of months ago.
They look and work very nice... and are lighter than Dura Ace! With
Hubbub routing they shift Shimano 9spd drivetrains fine.

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:47:45 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

> This is not a question about compatibility or which is better.
>
> I have 9 road bikes and four have Shimano STI. I recently acquired an
> 88 Schwinn Circuit that I love and want to put modern components on
> it. When Shimano went to 10 speed and their prices shot through the
> roof I assumed I wouldn't buy their STIs again. Even the Tiagra 9sp
> is now almost $300!
>
> So I've considered Campy Veloce. Excel Sports has them for $139,
> Nashbar for $169. It sounds great but my hands have been trained for
> 10+ years to quickly shift STIs. I worried that I would be forever
> making the wrong shift when I jumped on the Campy bike.
>
> So has anyone had experience switching back and forth between the
> two? Please keep in mind that I'm not going to ditch my STIs. I'll
> be constantly going back and forth between them.

I don't have any trouble. The systems are different enough that I don't
get confused. I do think it's harder to go to Campy than back to Shimano,
even though I have a slight preference for the way Campy works. I confess
I haven't ridden a Campy bike in awhile though.

Matt O.

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 08:59:06 -0800, Ron Ruff wrote:

> Campy went to a cheaper lighter shifting mech for 2007 on Veloce and
> Centaur. I think it will only shift one gear at a time now, whereas
> the old style shifted multiple gears. Only Chorus and Record will do
> that now.

Eew. I guess they had to give us some reason to buy the more expensive
stuff. Value-wise, they were practically giving Veloce away.

> I bought some 2006 Veloce shifters for $95 a couple of months ago. They
> look and work very nice... and are lighter than Dura Ace! With Hubbub
> routing they shift Shimano 9spd drivetrains fine.

Nice to know for when my Ultegras give up the ghost.

BTW, has anyone noticed how freaking expensive the new SRAM stuff is?

Matt O.

Competition driving up the price?

Or maybe if they price it high enough, people will think it's better? I
wouldn't pay that much money for unproven components.

-Dion

Dion Dock wrote:
> Competition driving up the price?
>
> Or maybe if they price it high enough, people will think it's better? I
> wouldn't pay that much money for unproven components.
>
> -Dion
>
> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> BTW, has anyone noticed how freaking expensive the new SRAM stuff is?
>>
>> Matt O.

The components are well proven, as they've been racing with them for over a year
now. Go with Rival -- if you are willing to shell out $8+/gram for the upgrade
to Force, with no improvement in functionality, then don't complain about price.

I've tested the SRAM stuff, and it's excellent -- way more intuitive than either
Shimano or Campy.

Dan

Dan Connelly wrote:

> I've tested the SRAM stuff, and it's excellent -- way more intuitive
> than either Shimano or Campy.

Intuitive? Is that an issue? Even a monkey can operate Shimano, Campy or
Sram after one ride.

Lou, Campy, Shimano and Sram with no problem
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

On Mar 8, 12:00 pm, Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>
wrote:
> Dion Dock wrote:
> > Competition driving up the price?

> > Or maybe if they price it high enough, people will think it's better? I
> > wouldn't pay that much money for unproven components.

> > -Dion

> > "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> BTW, has anyone noticed how freaking expensive the new SRAM stuff is?

> >> Matt O.

> The components are well proven, as they've been racing with them for over a year
> now.

That is well proven? 20, 30, 50, 100 different people using them for
a year or so? Compared to tens, hundreds of thousands, maybe millions
of regular cyclists using Ergo or STI for years and years and years.
Lets take an example. 10,000 riders on RAGBRAI each year. RAGBRAI is
roughly 500 miles. Assume 2/3 of the riders use STI or Ergo. 6,667
riders times 500 miles equals 3,333,500 miles of STI and Ergo use in a
week. 100 SRAM sponsored racers. Each rides 25,000 miles for the
year. This assumes they basically do a Grand Tour's worth of mileage
each month. Ha. But its 2,500,000 miles for SRAM in a year.

Go with Rival -- if you are willing to shell out $8+/gram for the
upgrade
> to Force, with no improvement in functionality, then don't complain about price.
>
> I've tested the SRAM stuff, and it's excellent

Yes I thought the Force shifted very well too on my 80 mile test ride
on a Cannondale System 6 bike.

> -- way more intuitive than either
> Shimano or Campy.

No. Ergo uses a different lever/button for each of the three actions
a shifter does. Shift to a smaller cog with push down of the thumb
button. Shift to a larger cog with push sideways of the shift lever.
Brake by pulling the brake lever and shift lever back. Three separate
motions for the three actions.

STI muddies things up a bit but still sort of gets each function with
separate actions. Shift to smaller cog with push sideways of the
smaller shift lever. Shift to larger cog with push sideways of the
big shift/brake lever. Brake by pulling back on the big shift/brake
lever and the small shift lever.

SRAM muddies the three functions up even more than STI. Shift to
smaller cog by pushing small shift lever sideways a little bit. Shift
to larger cog by pushing the same small shift lever sideways a bit
more. Brake by pulling the brake lever and small shift lever back.
That act of doing the same motion, push sideways, with the same lever,
small shift lever, for two very different actions, shifting to a
larger cog and shifting to a smaller cog, is not intuitive.

SRAM works well. I like Ergo over SRAM. A little bit. But SRAM is
nicer than STI by a long, long ways. If I had a choice of Ergo, SRAM,
or STI, it would be Ergo. If the choice was SRAM or STI, as it seems
to be now days with lots of OEM factory bikes coming with either, then
its SRAM. If the choice is STI or STI, Shimano still makes bar end
shifters that work nicely.