UK and Europe · Public discussion

Switching from SPDs to Looks....

Started by Rory · · Last activity · 21 posts · 1,508 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
1 July 2004
Last activity
7 July 2004
Original author
Rory
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,508
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I managed the transistion from clipped to SPD pedals
    relatively painlessly, but having just changed to Looks - be
    warned, a big piece of shiny plastic doesn't have the same
    grip on the road as a small pointy bit of metal. Ouch!

    I changed to the Look FreeArc pedals + red cleats as I was
    having some knee problems on long rides, and thought the
    pedal float might be the cause. After using SPD cleats (515s
    I think - the double exit ones) which had quite a bit of
    float anyway, I was suprised at how stiff the Look's float
    is - is that normal? This is with proper sole-less road
    shoes: I'd discovered that even with Shimano shoes with
    Shimano cleats & pedals you need to hack the sole away with
    a knife to stop the sole interferring with float & twist-
    exiting...

    Generally, the larger platform feels a lot more comfortable
    than regular SPD.

  2. Rory said:

    I changed to the Look FreeArc pedals + red cleats as I was
    having some knee problems on long rides, and thought the
    pedal float might be the cause. After using SPD cleats
    (515s I think - the double exit ones) which had quite a
    bit of float anyway, I was suprised at how stiff the
    Look's float is - is that normal?

    Unfortunately, the floating cleats do work against quite a
    bit of friction. I don't like it either. This friction can
    be reduced by greasing the pedals and even shaving a thin
    slice off the black rubber buffers on cleats. Don't remove
    them altogether, though.

    But, in any case, float action will ease up somewhat as the
    pedals wear. By the way, have some Kool Kovers for when you
    need to walk.

    (I'm assuming you're using red cleats, as black cleats
    result in zero float; also that float is on '9' setting if
    you do have an adjustable model with big knob on back).

    ~PB

  3. "Rory" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I managed the transistion from clipped to SPD pedals
    relatively painlessly, but having just changed to Looks -
    be warned, a big piece of shiny plastic doesn't have the
    same grip on the road as a small pointy bit of metal. Ouch!

    I changed to the Look FreeArc pedals + red cleats as I was
    having some knee problems on long rides, and thought the
    pedal float might be the cause. After using SPD cleats
    (515s I think - the double exit ones) which had quite a
    bit of float anyway, I was suprised at how stiff the
    Look's float is - is that normal? This is with proper sole-
    less road shoes: I'd discovered that even with Shimano
    shoes with Shimano cleats & pedals you need to hack the
    sole away with a knife to stop the sole interferring with
    float & twist-exiting...

    Generally, the larger platform feels a lot more
    comfortable than regular SPD.

    I've been wondering about Looks too (due to knee problems)
    but at the moment I'm swinging towards the Speedplays
    (frogs) that are compatable with two hole SPD shoes. Was
    there a particular reason you chose Looks?

  4. Frank X wrote: [in reply to Rory]

    Quoted message said:

    I've been wondering about Looks too (due to knee problems)
    but at the moment I'm swinging towards the Speedplays
    (frogs) that are compatable with two hole SPD shoes. Was
    there a particular reason you chose Looks?

    /My/ reason: Cheaper, larger platform, release in both
    directions. Frogs only release when foot is twisted in one
    direction (heels outwards, I think) -- which I find a scary
    prospect for the event of crashes, where feet or bike could
    twist in either direction.

    ~PB

  5. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Frank X wrote: [in reply to Rory]

    Quoted message said:

    I've been wondering about Looks too (due to knee
    problems) but at the moment I'm swinging towards the
    Speedplays (frogs) that are compatable with two hole SPD
    shoes. Was there a particular reason you chose Looks?

    /My/ reason: Cheaper, larger platform, release in both
    directions. Frogs only release when foot is twisted in one
    direction (heels outwards, I think) -- which I find a
    scary prospect for the event of crashes, where feet or
    bike could twist in either direction.


    My current SPDs release only in one direction and I'm happy
    with that.

    What does larger platform mean, is that likely to be better
    for my knees?

  6. Frank X said:

    My current SPDs release only in one direction and I'm
    happy with that.

    What does larger platform mean, is that likely to be
    better for my knees?

    The pedal itself is bigger with an accordingly larger
    contact point and lower pressure over it. In practice a
    fairly stiff sole (as pretty much any cycling shoe has) will
    distribute the load quite well in any case so it's not
    /that/ much of an issue (maybe if you're Going For It in a
    big way), and I don't think it would make any obvious
    difference to your knees.

    Personally, I prefer Time ATACs! They have lateral as well
    as rotational float and none of this cleat cover business if
    you fancy walking anywhere and no need for pratting about
    with tension settings. They seem to have a more positive
    engagement than SPuDs and are less affected by cleat wear
    making it easier to pull out unintentionally. I've not used
    Looks, but can do without the tottering around business as I
    like clipless for utility work on the freight bike and also
    off-road on the MTB where something you can't walk around in
    easily would be a liability.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
    ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382
    640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net
    [email hidden] dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  7. Frank X said:
    Quoted message said:

    Cheaper, larger platform, release in both directions.
    Frogs only release when foot is twisted in one
    direction (heels outwards, I think) -- which I find a
    scary prospect for the event of crashes, where feet or
    bike could twist in either direction.


    My current SPDs release only in one direction and I'm
    happy with that.

    Are you sure? I thought all SPDs can release by twisting
    inwards as well as outwards, even if that feels unnatural
    and more force is required. I think some multi-directional
    versions also release simply by pulling upwards -- that's
    not what I mean.

    But in any case, you may be perfectly happy in normal use
    with one-direction but you won't always have the opportunity
    to deliberately twist feet in a crash. Getting stuck to the
    bike or tangled up in it can result in greater injury. I
    know of one case where a rider seriously injured his leg
    because of this problem. The rider or the bike tends to
    twist to one side naturally during a fall but it can be to
    either side!

    Quoted message said:

    What does larger platform mean,

    Simply that the pedal is larger, with a larger area for the
    cleat to contact. This just tends to feel more comfortable
    efficient, even I find with extremely rigid soles (which
    doesn't make sense according to the theories but seems to be
    the case in reality with me).

    Quoted message said:

    is that likely to be better for my knees?

    I don't think so. That's where the large amount of float of
    Speedplays could indeed help you, although Look pedals
    provide up to 9 degrees* which is quite a lot. You get about
    5 degrees with SPD. Time pedals also have more float than
    SPD--another option for you to consider: I think they have
    models compatible with SPD shoes.

    * albeit with quite some friction with standard setup, but
    this can be vastly improved with grease and altering cleat
    rubber thingy (please see other reply).

    ~PB

  8. Pete Biggs said:
    Frank X said:

    What does larger platform mean,

    Simply that the pedal is larger, with a larger area for
    the cleat to contact. This just tends to feel more
    comfortable efficient, even I find with extremely rigid
    soles (which doesn't make sense according to the theories
    but seems to be the case in reality with me).

    ps. Laregr pedal also helps with clipping in as you've got
    a larger target to aim for, although that's only half
    the story. Orientation of pedal* and exact design of
    mechanism being the other half. (Frogs are easy to get
    into, apparently).

    Look PP pedals always point in the same useful direction
    before feet are on them because of their weighting.

    ~PB

  9. "Frank X" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Frank X wrote: [in reply to Rory]

    Quoted message said:

    I've been wondering about Looks too (due to knee
    problems) but at the moment I'm swinging towards the
    Speedplays (frogs) that are compatable with two hole
    SPD shoes. Was there a particular reason you chose
    Looks?

    /My/ reason: Cheaper, larger platform, release in both
    directions. Frogs only release when foot is twisted in
    one direction (heels outwards, I think) -- which I find
    a scary prospect for the event of crashes, where feet or
    bike could twist in either direction.


    My current SPDs release only in one direction and I'm
    happy with that.

    What does larger platform mean, is that likely to be
    better for my knees?

    I changed to red Looks last year and have had no knee
    problems so far this year, amazing how off centre your feet
    pedal once you allow them to, the left hand heel more or
    less rubs the crank now whereas it was an inch away with
    black cleats.

  10. MartinM said:

    "Frank X" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<2kkss9F3ln5jU1@uni-
    berlin.de>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Frank X wrote: [in reply to Rory]

    >I've been wondering about Looks too (due to knee
    >problems) but at the moment I'm swinging towards the
    >Speedplays (frogs) that are compatable with two hole SPD
    >shoes. Was there a particular reason you chose Looks?

    /My/ reason: Cheaper, larger platform, release in both
    directions. Frogs only release when foot is twisted in
    one direction (heels outwards, I think) -- which I find a
    scary prospect for the event of crashes, where feet or
    bike could twist in either direction.

    My current SPDs release only in one direction and I'm
    happy with that.

    What does larger platform mean, is that likely to be
    better for my knees?

    I changed to red Looks last year and have had no knee
    problems so far this year, amazing how off centre your
    feet pedal once you allow them to, the left hand heel more
    or less rubs the crank now whereas it was an inch away
    with black cleats.

    I find something similar, and it's not the same for both
    feet either - they tend to sit at different angles and on
    slightly different places on the pedals. I'm sure this'll
    make it interesting once I actually put the spd's on the
    bike rather than current platforms/toecups.

    --

    Velvet

  11. Velvet said:

    I find something similar, and it's not the same for both
    feet either - they tend to sit at different angles and on
    slightly different places on the pedals. I'm sure this'll
    make it interesting once I actually put the spd's on the
    bike rather than current platforms/toecups.

    SPuDs don't give you lateral float, so unless I've had a
    Brain Failure (quite possible, this time on a Friday with a
    weekend of server upgrades ahead) any difference in basic
    foot location on the pedal itself will be a result of the
    cleats being in different locations on each foot. Many SPuD
    shoes have sliders built in to the anchor plates so you can
    tune the position, so this would be entirely possible.

    As for the "make it interesting" bit, I rather doubt it.
    As long as your feet end up where it seems natural for
    them to do so it probably won't make any real difference
    at all in practice.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
    ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382
    640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net
    [email hidden] dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  12. Peter Clinch said:
    Velvet said:

    I find something similar, and it's not the same for both
    feet either - they tend to sit at different angles and on
    slightly different places on the pedals. I'm sure this'll
    make it interesting once I actually put the spd's on the
    bike rather than current platforms/toecups.

    SPuDs don't give you lateral float, so unless I've had a
    Brain Failure (quite possible, this time on a Friday with
    a weekend of server upgrades ahead) any difference in
    basic foot location on the pedal itself will be a result
    of the cleats being in different locations on each foot.
    Many SPuD shoes have sliders built in to the anchor plates
    so you can tune the position, so this would be entirely
    possible.

    As for the "make it interesting" bit, I rather doubt it.
    As long as your feet end up where it seems natural for
    them to do so it probably won't make any real difference
    at all in practice.

    Pete.

    Indeed - I meant the sheer amount of time spent fine-tuning
    the relative positions of cleats on shoes to get the foot
    angle right :-)

    I've already discovered how NOT to find out where that
    is... by leaving the cleats loose... despite having read
    endless times the 'thou shalt tighten the cleats FULLY to
    the shoes' mantra...

    I am now accomplished at removing shoes from cleats and
    cleats from pedals (in that order), unfortunately.

    --

    Velvet

  13. Velvet said:

    Indeed - I meant the sheer amount of time spent fine-
    tuning the relative positions of cleats on shoes to get
    the foot angle right :-)

    The pedal should have a reasonable degree of /rotational/
    float (if I'm remembering my SPuDs properly), so your foot
    can sit wherever it wants to as far as angle of dangle is
    concerned. As long as it isn't really skewed it should be
    fine, and the only problem with really skewed is you might
    not get out (as you know...).

    So you should only need to get them matched front/back on
    each shoe, and let the rotational float take up any slack.
    Not too much time needed in this case.

    Top Tip for the bolts that screw the cleats in, and that's
    put a little PTFE grease on the threads before you put them
    in. IME it makes getting them tight enough for the cleat to
    stop moving about much easier, and it's easier to undo them
    come replacement time as well.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
    ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382
    640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net
    [email hidden] dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  14. Peter Clinch said:
    Velvet said:

    Indeed - I meant the sheer amount of time spent fine-
    tuning the relative positions of cleats on shoes to get
    the foot angle right :-)

    The pedal should have a reasonable degree of /rotational/
    float (if I'm remembering my SPuDs properly), so your foot
    can sit wherever it wants to as far as angle of dangle is
    concerned. As long as it isn't really skewed it should be
    fine, and the only problem with really skewed is you might
    not get out (as you know...).

    So you should only need to get them matched front/back on
    each shoe, and let the rotational float take up any slack.
    Not too much time needed in this case.

    Top Tip for the bolts that screw the cleats in, and that's
    put a little PTFE grease on the threads before you put
    them in. IME it makes getting them tight enough for the
    cleat to stop moving about much easier, and it's easier to
    undo them come replacement time as well.

    Pete.

    Ah, ta for the tip. I might be making use of that before the
    summer's over, the way I'm going... (yay!) - when I have a
    good ride it's now REALLY good, and I almost feel ready for
    spds. Still having some bad ones though, so I know it's not
    *quite* the right time...

    *And* I still have to learn the signalling. Which really
    should be done before the spds go on, I think.

    --

    Velvet

  15. Peter Clinch said:

    Personally, I prefer Time ATACs! They have lateral as well
    as rotational float and none of this cleat cover business
    if you fancy walking anywhere and no need for pratting
    about with tension settings. They seem to have a more
    positive engagement than SPuDs and are less affected by
    cleat wear making it easier to pull out unintentionally.
    I've not used Looks, but can do without the tottering
    around business as I like clipless for utility work on the
    freight bike and also off-road on the MTB where something
    you can't walk around in easily would be a liability.

    The difference between Looks and Time ATACs in HUGE. In
    terms of positive feel of the interface between the pedal
    and the shoe, Looks are unmatched -- great fun. I use
    ATACs for my hack bike, but going back to them after
    Looks, they feel a bit flaky. I've not tried Shimano road
    SPDs but I have tried the off-road version, and they are
    not as good as ATACs.

  16. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Frank X said:
    Quoted message said:

    Cheaper, larger platform, release in both directions.
    Frogs only release when foot is twisted in one
    direction (heels outwards, I think) -- which I find a
    scary prospect for the event of crashes, where feet
    or bike could twist in either direction.


    My current SPDs release only in one direction and I'm
    happy with that.

    Are you sure? I thought all SPDs can release by twisting
    inwards as well as outwards, even if that feels unnatural
    and more force is required. I think some multi-directional
    versions also release simply by pulling upwards -- that's
    not what I mean.

    Your right, it does come off both ways.

    Quoted message said:

    But in any case, you may be perfectly happy in normal use
    with one-direction but you won't always have the
    opportunity to deliberately twist feet in a crash. Getting
    stuck to the bike or tangled up in it can result in
    greater injury. I know of one case where a rider seriously
    injured his leg because of this problem. The rider or the
    bike tends to twist to one side naturally during a fall
    but it can be to either side!

    I did understand what you meant and it is important to me,
    hard to tell how important with out trying though :o(.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What does larger platform mean,

    Simply that the pedal is larger, with a larger area for
    the cleat to contact. This just tends to feel more
    comfortable efficient, even I find with extremely rigid
    soles (which doesn't make sense according to the theories
    but seems to be the case in reality with me).

    Quoted message said:

    is that likely to be better for my knees?

    I don't think so. That's where the large amount of float
    of Speedplays could indeed help you, although Look pedals
    provide up to 9 degrees* which is quite a lot. You get
    about 5 degrees with SPD. Time pedals also have more float
    than SPD--another option for you to consider: I think they
    have models compatible with SPD shoes.

    Thanks, I think I'll go with the Speedplays for the extra
    float and because they are recessed cleats.

  17. "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Frank X wrote:

    Quoted message said:


    Personally, I prefer Time ATACs! They have lateral as well
    as rotational float and none of this cleat cover business
    if you fancy walking anywhere and no need for pratting
    about with tension settings. They seem to have a more
    positive engagement than SPuDs and are less affected by
    cleat wear making it easier to pull out unintentionally.
    I've not used Looks, but can do without the tottering
    around business as I like clipless for utility work on the
    freight bike and also off-road on the MTB where something
    you can't walk around in easily would be a liability.


    How are they on the knees?, If it wasn't for my knees I
    would say SPiDs are perfect.

    And do they fit two hole SPD shoes. I can't imagine life
    without my sandals.

  18. Frank X said:


    How are they on the knees?, If it wasn't for my knees I
    would say SPiDs are perfect.

    I can't speak for your particular knees, of course, but the
    fact that they have lateral as well as rotational float
    (that is your foot can slide a little sideways without
    rotating) means you've probably got the best chance going of
    knee compatibility.

    Quoted message said:

    And do they fit two hole SPD shoes. I can't imagine life
    without my sandals.

    Yes, I use Shimano SD-60 sandals on my ATACs

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
    ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382
    640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net
    [email hidden] dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  19. "Frank X" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Frank X wrote:

    Quoted message said:


    Personally, I prefer Time ATACs! They have lateral as
    well as


    rotational

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    float and none of this cleat cover business if you fancy
    walking


    anywhere

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and no need for pratting about with tension settings.
    They seem to have


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    more positive engagement than SPuDs and are less
    affected by cleat wear making it easier to pull out
    unintentionally. I've not used Looks, but


    can

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    do without the tottering around business as I like
    clipless for utility work on the freight bike and also
    off-road on the MTB where something


    you

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    can't walk around in easily would be a liability.


    How are they on the knees?, If it wasn't for my knees I
    would say SPiDs


    are

    Quoted message said:

    perfect.

    And do they fit two hole SPD shoes. I can't imagine life
    without my


    sandals.

    I do have a knee that is prone to problems and I tried Time
    ATACS last year as my first clipless pedal. I immediately
    suffered a dull ache in the knee after (not during) rides of
    only 5-10 miles. As I was heading off on tour I reverted to
    toeclips until this Spring. This time I was more careful
    with my positioning of the cleat. I took someone's advice
    from this group and made a note of how my foot was angled
    when I used toeclips and also when hanging down with me
    sitting on a ledge. I then tried to replicate this angle
    with the cleat, which involved pushing it to the limit of
    its range on my shoes. It worked this time and I'm now I'm
    happily cliplesss. The shoes are Shimano TO-70s so they're
    compatable with these SPD shoes at least. Of course, I've
    only tried these pedals and everybody's knees are not the
    same. HTH,

    tony R.

  20. Frank X said:


    "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Frank X wrote:

    Quoted message said:


    Personally, I prefer Time ATACs! They have lateral as
    well as rotational float and none of this cleat cover
    business if you fancy walking anywhere

    How are they on the knees?, If it wasn't for my knees I
    would say SPiDs are perfect.

    I have twisted bones in my lower legs, which cause various
    knock-on problems in the knee joints. My first physio (20
    years ago) reckoned I'd be OK if I didn't cycle, row or play
    squash, so I've never played squash.

    Once aligned correctly, ATACs are better for my knees than
    clips-and-straps, while SPDs were several times worse. Most
    of teh shoes I've used have required surgery of teh sole to
    get teh cleat to teh required angle, but once that's done
    they're fine (and you can transfer the angle from one pait
    of shoes to teh next as shoes wear out, and it's easy to put
    a new cleat on at teh same angle because it marks teh sole
    where it's been clamped in place).

    I have ATACs on all my bikes and teh trike. I have platforms
    on teh unicycle.

    Quoted message said:

    And do they fit two hole SPD shoes. I can't imagine life
    without my sandals.

    Yes, teh cleat is standard SPD-cleat fixing centres.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.