Switching from triple to compact. What do I need?

Dan512

Aug 13, 2003
My dad wants me to switch his current triple Ultergra (52/42/30) setup to a compact crankset, because he is tired of switching to the 30 on the steeps and doesn't really need the top end gears à la 52/13.

I intend doing the swap myself and saving him some cash. So I just want to check out some points with you guys and gals out here before buzzing off to do my shopping.

- Do I have to change the front brake/shift lever or are the Ultegra levers the same for double and triple cranksets? I looked around on the net, but couldn't find a clear answer to that one.

- Do I have to change the front derailleur or can I keep the current one?

- I presume I need to buy a new (shorter?) bb for the new crankset. What measures or references do I need to get the right one (length, thread...)?

- My dad currently runs a 9 speed 13/25 on the rear. Should I get him a 50/34 or a 50/36 crankset?

Dan

Doing the same conversion. Not sure anyone can tell you or your dad what exact combination to go with. Most compact cranksets are 50/34, which should get you close to the more used combinations he had with the triple. In my case, I have a 12/27 cassette so my ratios are about as low as they were with the triple. There are many choices, but FSA gossamer compact with integrated BB is what I got. Good price. Cumbersome install (will be snug at first).

As for the shifters, I bought a new set. You don't *need* to buy new shifters.

Come to think of it, the whole point of running a double (vs a triple) is that you get a 10 speed drive train (cassettes are crucial, obviously, cranks are double, shifters can go either way). Rear derailleur, you may not need to replace. I'd try it out first. That's what I'm doing. On the advice of my LBS, most conversions are from double to triple, where the derailleur needs to stretch, and you would, thus, need a new one. You may or may not need a RD. I'd say try it out first. Put the bike on a trainer and see if there is any sloppiness.

FD, you should not need. Before replacing it unnecessarily, I'd say give a try first. You mentionied saving money. I'd see what can work first before buying EVERYTHING all at once.

In my case, I wanted to upgrade the shifters, so I did. I bought the compact cranks and am in the process of installing right now. I can take my time as I have a second bike (10-speed double). Interesting topic. Keep me posted. And I'll do the same.

Hi Frank!

Thanks for your reply!

Problem is my dad only has one roadbike and rides almost daily. So if I start swapping things around, I've got to have it all cleared, so that I don't find myself with the "wrong" left (front) brake/shift lever and a non working bike.

As for the rear derailleur, I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be changed, as I'll be keeping the current 13/25 setup.

I will keep you informed about whatever I find out.

Dan

Dan512 said:
My dad wants me to switch his current triple Ultergra (52/42/30) setup to a compact crankset, because he is tired of switching to the 30 on the steeps and doesn't really need the top end gears à la 52/13.

I intend doing the swap myself and saving him some cash. So I just want to check out some points with you guys and gals out here before buzzing off to do my shopping.

- Do I have to change the front brake/shift lever or are the Ultegra levers the same for double and triple cranksets? I looked around on the net, but couldn't find a clear answer to that one.

- Do I have to change the front derailleur or can I keep the current one?

- I presume I need to buy a new (shorter?) bb for the new crankset. What measures or references do I need to get the right one (length, thread...)?

- My dad currently runs a 9 speed 13/25 on the rear. Should I get him a 50/34 or a 50/36 crankset?

Dan

Ultegra triple and double levers are not the same, but the Ultegra 9s triple compatible shifter will work with double chainring/FD.

Choose the BB that is recommended by the crankset manufacturer. You are likely stuck getting a new BB as Shimano compacts now come with the integrated bearing BBs and FSA (ISIS or integrated BB) or Campagnolo (square taper) compacts are not compatible with the Ultegra 9 octalink BB. Ritchey compact cranksets are compatible with Octalink BBs and you could use their compact on the Ultegra 9 BB. The spindle would be longer than that specified by Ritchey for a double, but would probably work OK, albeit with the chainline a few millimeters farther out than ideal. BB threading is determinined by the frame. Unless your dad has an Italian made frame, the BB threading is probably English and the BB shell is 68mm wide. Again, length will be as specified for the individual crank.

The triple FD should work with the compact crankset, as will the rear derailleur.

I would suggest getting the 50/34. If he actually uses the 30T ring often, then he will want the 34 rather than the 36.

Save yourself heaps of money. Just get a 39t middle chainring (TA from Harris) for the triple. :cool:

gclark8 said:
Save yourself heaps of money. Just get a 39t middle chainring (TA from Harris) for the triple. :cool:

Well, thing is I tried to talk him into that one too, but he just feels uncomfortable running the triple crank set.

So compact is has to be :)

Dan512 said:
Well, thing is I tried to talk him into that one too, but he just feels uncomfortable running the triple crank set.

So compact is has to be :)
Sounds like he is self conscious about riding a triple. If the 52/13 is to tall a gear for him maybe he is not a strong rider & the 34/25 ( keeping the same rear as you stated) low he will end up with the compact may not be low enough for the steeps. Admittedly the 42 would have him searching for the 30 quicker than I would then Georges 39 idea has merit.
Plenty of older riders on triples you know.
Seems like a lot of work & expence to "be with the crowd" & save 500gms or so.
At the end of the day if riding a double ring, compact or not allows him to enjoy his riding more, than that is what really matters. Can not argue with that.

Al R 1955 said:
Sounds like he is self conscious about riding a triple. If the 52/13 is to tall a gear for him maybe he is not a strong rider & the 34/25 ( keeping the same rear as you stated) low he will end up with the compact may not be low enough for the steeps. Admittedly the 42 would have him searching for the 30 quicker than I would then Georges 39 idea has merit.
Plenty of older riders on triples you know.
Seems like a lot of work & expence to "be with the crowd" & save 500gms or so.
At the end of the day if riding a double ring, compact or not allows him to enjoy his riding more, than that is what really matters. Can not argue with that.

It's actually not a "pride" thing. He is currently 66 years old and only took up biking at around 50. What's more he's not very technically minded. He just wants to ride. So going the compact way gives him one "problem" less too think about.

As he's not racing nor a very strong downhiller, 53/13 is not really a topic either. And then I prefer him not too grind too big gears which he likes to do, but I doubt it benefits his old torn knees.

I ordered a FSA Pro Road Compact Crank set today for a good price and will install it as soon as it arrives. I'll post the result here.

I am in awe of the fact that at 66 he still rides a bike daily,use it or lose it they say.I guess in a few years, all being well, you can add a 27 rear to help the knees go further or alternately keep the triple set up, reinstall, & then only use the 42/30.

Edit:_ I always considered if I could still ride in 20 years time i.e. 70 that mountian bike gearing would be the only possibility 44/32/22 12/30

Al R 1955 said:
I am in awe of the fact that at 66 he still rides a bike daily,use it or lose it they say.

Well then I'd probably better not tell you that he already knocked off around 2300 miles :eek: for this year, and where we live (Luxembourg in Europe), we actually got sth. called "winter" with some snow, a lot of rain and temps around freezing.

Then again he's waht you could call a pro rider (meaning he's retired and does rides for a living :) )

There will always be responses that talk down on your (or your Dad's) choice. You came on the ask about changing from a triple to a compact double. The appropriate thing to do is to offer any advice on that topic and leave the condescending tones out of the responses. If you don't agree, then maybe don't respond ..

If the man wants to change to a double, then leave your personal feelings about riding a double vs a triple out of it. In my case, for example, I have 2 bikes, the aluminum's a triple, the carbon's a double. After a season of riding with the double and sometimes the triple (take it on trips etc), I've used the 30 less and less. But in my case, I consciously worked on high(er) cadence riding as it is easier than pushing big gears; since I did most of the work on the double, the 30 on the triple is .. just .. there. To top it off, I wanted to try the compact as the big gears just don't really "do it" for me. I'm not a racer, so I couldn't care less about weight or top end speed.

Point is that each person's different and not everyone is doing something to keep up with the crowd.

All that said, I'm traveling this and next week, so I can't do any more work on my conversion, but Dan, let's know how you make out.

Thanks Frank!

I will post the results as soon as I got the compact cranks installed an my dad has given them a try.

Cheers!

Dan

Dan512 said:
I ordered a FSA Pro Road Compact Crank set today for a good price and will install it as soon as it arrives. I'll post the result here.
That's a nice crank. I think he'll like it. You did get the one with the carbon arms, right?

I'm in a similar situation with my old bike, which I'm upgrading for the wife. I put the carbon pro triple on for her (it already had a triple crank so I decided to stay the course). I've got a compact on my new bike and really like it, but since the old one is 9 spd, I figured I'd give her more of a bail out option rather than go with a compact. The old triple was a 52-42-30 and the new one is a 53-39-30, which should be more user friendly. (the rear is a 26x12).

What I couldn't believe was the weight difference between the old BB and crank and the new hollow spindle BB and carbon arms. Between that and the new wheel's (easton velomax) my old steed has lost about 2 lbs......

L

Lonnie Utah said:
That's a nice crank. I think he'll like it. You did get the one with the carbon arms, right?

Yep, it's the one with the carbon arms. Can't await to get it.

Lonnie Utah said:
Yeah, that's the same as the triple I got too. I paid $169 USD at excel sports (what a bargin!!!)

I paid 189 EUR (that's around $228 USD) including an FSA Platinimum BB (which exel sell for $55 USD). So I'm not far off your price :)

I finally got around to installing the compact kit on my dad's bike last week, and he has already put 300 miles into it.

He loves his new set up, so I achieved my goal.

As recommended by you guys, I didn't need to change any other parts part fronm the cranks and bb.

Thanks for all your tips and keep on riding.

Dan