Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

switching tire sizes...

Started by Joel Rose · · Last activity · 21 posts · 6,378 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 February 2003
Last activity
10 February 2003
Original author
Joel Rose
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
6,378
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–21 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm sad to see that nobody is really taking you seriously here. I think what you want to do is very
    easily accomplished. All you need to do is get hold of rollers with a resistance unit and mount them
    backwards from your rearwheel. If you adjust the distance between the front and back rollers you'll
    have your rear wheel and the B.O.B wheel on the rollers. Now just load her up and go.

    If you intend to get serious about this I suggest you get two rollers and mount them together as
    one unit. This may take a bit of welding but I'm certain it would be a piece of cake for a man of
    your calibre.

    --
    Replace the dots to reply

    Perre

    "Sheldon Brown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Benjamin Weiner said:

    I haven't ever ridden a trainer enough to damage a frame, and maybe few


    people

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ever will. Somewhere on rec.bicycles.*, Andrew Coggan reported breaking


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    lightweight steel frame at the chainstay, on the trainer, but he rides


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    trainer a lot.

    That brings to mind a serious and so-far intractable problem I've been having, I hope somebody can
    help. Here's the deal:

    Old fashioned trainers held the bike by the front fork and the chainstays just behind the bottom
    bracket. I didn't like these because I had to remove my kickstand to mount the bike on the
    trainer, and it felt funny to have the handlebars immobilized by the fork clamp--I like to pretend
    I'm riding my favorite trials course when I use my trainer, and the inability to steer ruins the
    illusion.

    Modern trainers generally grip the ends of the rear axle, steadying the bike, while allowing you
    to tun the handlebars. This also has the added benefit that it raises the rear while leaving the
    front wheel on the floor. Thus, not only can you steer as much as you want, but, unlike most road
    rides, it's downhill all the way!

    The big problem with this type of trainer (I'm sure I can't be the only one to have run into this
    difficult) is that the trainer attachment makes it impossible to attach my B.O.B. trailer! I like
    to schlep a couple of cinder blocks in the B.O.B. for extra resistance, so I get a better
    workout, but there just doesn't seem to be any modern-style trainer that will permit the
    attachment of the B.O.B.

    I've tried complaining to B.O.B. about this, but they've been no help. They act as if I'm some
    kind of nut, and put me on hold whenever I call.

    Surely there must be some sort of adaptor to make this work, but I'm stumped!

    Carapace Completed Umber Haines Junction, Yukon, Canada
    +------------------------------------------------------+
    | There are strange things done in the midnight sun, | by the men who moil for gold, | The Arctic
    | trails have their secret tales, | That would make your blood run cold... | --Robert Service |
    +------------------------------------------------------+

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.