T & R with a Power Meter - Anaerobic

sglasgow

May 9, 2005
Andy,
In reading the bit on Strengths and Weaknesses, as an anaerobic I am interested but not sure I understand the conclusion of the following passage.

Also keep in mind that, based on physiological considerations, an inverse relationship might be expected to occur between anaerobic and aerobic efforts--... At the same time, however, a positive association might be expected between each pair. Although the scientific literature is in fact spit on whether there actually is an inverse relationship between s-t and l-t power, there is a positive association within each category.)

Appreciate any clarifying thoughts. The book is well written and clear-- I just don't understand that bit.

Kind regards,

"Although the scientific literature is in fact spit on whether there actually is an inverse relationship between s-t and l-t power, there is a positive association within each category."

I took this to mean that training at a particular spot on the aerobic spectrum will raise your ability at all points of the aerobic system (and the same relationship exists within the anaerobic system).

What is not clear is whether training aerobically lowers your anaerobic ability and vice versa.

My feeling/opinion is that any inverse relationship exists primarily because by NOT training a particular system (i.e. when you spend time training anaerobically you are NOT training aerobically) you are allowing the other system to "untrain".

The key then is to focus your training on the energy system that is most important for your desired competition forum then spend the least amount of time necessary to maintain the the other system.

sglasgow said:
Andy,
In reading the bit on Strengths and Weaknesses, as an anaerobic I am interested but not sure I understand the conclusion of the following passage.

Also keep in mind that, based on physiological considerations, an inverse relationship might be expected to occur between anaerobic and aerobic efforts--... At the same time, however, a positive association might be expected between each pair. Although the scientific literature is in fact spit on whether there actually is an inverse relationship between s-t and l-t power, there is a positive association within each category.)

Appreciate any clarifying thoughts. The book is well written and clear-- I just don't understand that bit.

Kind regards,
Well, my take on it was that training to improve 5-second and 1 minute power at the highest level (track sprinting, kilo) often involves weight lifting or some kind of hypertrophy that will decrease endurance performance.

sglasgow said:
Andy,

Kind regards,

What I meant was that you'd expect that somebody who has a high 5 s power would likely also have a high 1 min power, whereas somebody who has a high 5 min power would also likely have a high functional threshold power. At the same time, however, you'd expect there to be an inverse relationship between somebody's 5 s/1 min power and their 5 min/functional threshold power, at least at the extremes (i.e., at least at the upper end of the tables, people are likely to be '\' or '/', not '-'). This expectation is based simply on the physiological determinants of performance at each duration, and hence the traits that would favor somebody being good at one thing or another. When you actually look through the scientific literature, however, it is clear that while there is a positive association between neuromuscular power and anaerobic capacity or between VO2max and lactate threshold, it is less clear that there is an inverse relationship between neuromuscular power/anaerobic capacity (as a pair) and VO2max/lactate threshold (as a pair). IOW, there do in fact seem to be people who true 'all rounders', at least enough/to the extent to muddy the waters a bit.

Excellent. I completely understand.

Thank you

acoggan said:
What I meant was that you'd expect that somebody who has a high 5 s power would likely also have a high 1 min power, whereas somebody who has a high 5 min power would also likely have a high functional threshold power. At the same time, however, you'd expect there to be an inverse relationship between somebody's 5 s/1 min power and their 5 min/functional threshold power, at least at the extremes (i.e., at least at the upper end of the tables, people are likely to be '\' or '/', not '-'). This expectation is based simply on the physiological determinants of performance at each duration, and hence the traits that would favor somebody being good at one thing or another. When you actually look through the scientific literature, however, it is clear that while there is a positive association between neuromuscular power and anaerobic capacity or between VO2max and lactate threshold, it is less clear that there is an inverse relationship between neuromuscular power/anaerobic capacity (as a pair) and VO2max/lactate threshold (as a pair). IOW, there do in fact seem to be people who true 'all rounders', at least enough/to the extent to muddy the waters a bit.