Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

TA Cyclotouriste 40t outer chainring source

Started by NickP · · Last activity · 17 posts · 518 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 June 2007
Last activity
14 June 2007
Original author
NickP
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
518
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the closest I've
    turned up at any of my usual suppliers.

  2. On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:35:09 +1000, "NickP" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the closest I've
    turned up at any of my usual suppliers.

    If all else fails, Highpath will make them
    http://www.highpath.co.uk/cycles/eggs/01.html
    but they'll be about US$120 each

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  3. NickP said:

    Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the closest I've
    turned up at any of my usual suppliers.

    How about Peter White? This talented wheel builder has a shot in New
    Hampshire, and I believe he is stocks TA rings & cranks.

    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/

    BC

  4. NickP said:

    Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the closest I've
    turned up at any of my usual suppliers.

    I've ordered TA chainrings from Settle Cycles in England. Even with
    shipping costs, they were still considerably cheaper than
    domestically. Not sure if the 40 tooth is an outer ring specifically,
    but as long as its the right bolt circle, it will fit. Might end up
    with pins/ramps on the outside of the ring and no provision for the
    little peg that goes between the ring and crank arm.

  5. email hidden said:
    NickP said:

    Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the closest I've
    turned up at any of my usual suppliers.

    I've ordered TA chainrings from Settle Cycles in England. Even with
    shipping costs, they were still considerably cheaper than
    domestically. Not sure if the 40 tooth is an outer ring specifically,
    but as long as its the right bolt circle, it will fit. Might end up
    with pins/ramps on the outside of the ring and no provision for the
    little peg that goes between the ring and crank arm.

    Settle don't carry Cyclotouriste any more, and Cyclotouriste rings are
    highly specific as to position because there is no spider, the middles
    and inners bolt to the outers. If you think Cyclotouriste rings have
    ramps and pins, you're living in your own little dream world :-)

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  6. "Kinky Cowboy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    email hidden said:
    NickP said:

    Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the closest


    I've

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    turned up at any of my usual suppliers.

    I've ordered TA chainrings from Settle Cycles in England. Even with
    shipping costs, they were still considerably cheaper than
    domestically. Not sure if the 40 tooth is an outer ring specifically,
    but as long as its the right bolt circle, it will fit. Might end up
    with pins/ramps on the outside of the ring and no provision for the
    little peg that goes between the ring and crank arm.

    Settle don't carry Cyclotouriste any more, and Cyclotouriste rings are
    highly specific as to position because there is no spider, the middles
    and inners bolt to the outers. If you think Cyclotouriste rings have
    ramps and pins, you're living in your own little dream world :-)

    Kinky Cowboy*

    There are 2 kinds of 40T Cyclotouriste outer chainrings that attach to the
    crankarm with 5 bolts - those with bolt holes for attaching inner
    chainrings and those without (for tandem crossovers and other special
    uses).

    TA may also have made 40T CRs in track width???

    Chas.

  7. NickP said:

    Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the closest I've
    turned up at any of my usual suppliers.


    Harris Cyclery has them on their website
    (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french-cranks.html).

    mark

  8. mark said:
    NickP said:

    Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the closest I've
    turned up at any of my usual suppliers.

    Harris Cyclery has them on their website
    (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french-cranks.html).

    mark

    Looks like they're down to 36, 44 & 48 only.

  9. Hank Wirtz said:
    mark said:
    NickP said:

    Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the closest I've
    turned up at any of my usual suppliers.

    Quoted message said:

    Harris Cyclery has them on their website
    (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french-cranks.html).

    Quoted message said:

    mark

    Looks like they're down to 36, 44 & 48 only.

    Sugino made a "clone" of the TA Cyclotouriste crank (I can't recall
    their name for it at this moment). It was available until 2-3 years
    ago, so Sugino might be a source for suitable rings.

  10. Kinky Cowboy said:

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 07:09:00 -0700, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:
    NickP said:

    Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the closest I've
    turned up at any of my usual suppliers.

    Quoted message said:

    I've ordered TA chainrings from Settle Cycles in England. Even with
    shipping costs, they were still considerably cheaper than
    domestically. Not sure if the 40 tooth is an outer ring specifically,
    but as long as its the right bolt circle, it will fit. Might end up
    with pins/ramps on the outside of the ring and no provision for the
    little peg that goes between the ring and crank arm.

    Settle don't carry Cyclotouriste any more, and Cyclotouriste rings are
    highly specific as to position because there is no spider, the middles
    and inners bolt to the outers. If you think Cyclotouriste rings have
    ramps and pins, you're living in your own little dream world :-)

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

    I guess I was referring to the TA chainrings in general. Not the very
    unique, exotic models. All my road bicycles have standard 135, 110,
    94, 74, 58 mm 5 arm bolt circles. Never seen the need to go with
    oddball difficult to find parts when the easy to find ones work just
    fine.

  11. I have a 40t ring in the shop. What is the bolt pattern of the ring
    you are looking for. I don't have 2.

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:35:09 +1000, "NickP" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the closest I've
    turned up at any of my usual suppliers.

  12. "NickP" <[email hidden]> a écrit:

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the
    closest I've turned up at any of my usual suppliers.

    Spa Cycles in Yorkshire list 37, 38, 40 and 41t outers:

    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b34s148p0

    Gilles Berthoud in Burgundy lists 42t:

    http://www.gillesberthoud.fr/

    Rando Boutique in Paris have a big rack of TA rings and cranks behind the
    counter:

    http://www.rando-boutique.com/

    I may be able to ride out there this weekend and see if they have stock, if
    you're pressed.

    "BCDrums" <[email hidden]> a écrit:

    Quoted message said:

    How about Peter White?

    Peter doesn't deal in Cyclotourist, last I checked.

    "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> a écrit:

    Quoted message said:

    Sugino made a "clone" of the TA Cyclotouriste crank (I can't recall
    their name for it at this moment).

    Sugino PX.

    James Thomson

  13. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Kinky Cowboy said:

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 07:09:00 -0700, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:

    On Jun 13, 5:35 pm, "NickP" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the closest


    I've

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > turned up at any of my usual suppliers.

    Quoted message said:

    I've ordered TA chainrings from Settle Cycles in England. Even with
    shipping costs, they were still considerably cheaper than
    domestically. Not sure if the 40 tooth is an outer ring


    specifically,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    but as long as its the right bolt circle, it will fit. Might end up
    with pins/ramps on the outside of the ring and no provision for the
    little peg that goes between the ring and crank arm.

    Settle don't carry Cyclotouriste any more, and Cyclotouriste rings are
    highly specific as to position because there is no spider, the middles
    and inners bolt to the outers. If you think Cyclotouriste rings have
    ramps and pins, you're living in your own little dream world :-)

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

    I guess I was referring to the TA chainrings in general. Not the very
    unique, exotic models. All my road bicycles have standard 135, 110,
    94, 74, 58 mm 5 arm bolt circles. Never seen the need to go with
    oddball difficult to find parts when the easy to find ones work just
    fine.

    Cyclotouriste cranks and chainring were the norm for 50 years or more.
    Their chainrings and cranks were the standard for tandems, triples, track,
    road racing and so on. Cyclotouriste triple cranksets were the standard
    for the first 5-10 years of MTBs - they had 26T chainrings.

    Stronglight, Nervar and most of the other European crankset manufacturers
    made cranks that interchanged with TA. Even Sugino made a triple crankset
    that interchanged with TA.

    Retro grouch

  14. * * Chas said:


    Stronglight, Nervar and most of the other European crankset manufacturers
    made cranks that interchanged with TA. Even Sugino made a triple crankset
    that interchanged with TA.

    As did Shimano, who even did a version for the DD pedals!

    --
    /Marten

    info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

  15. You can see a photo of what I'm after at
    http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2007/cc301-nickpayne0507.html. It's the outer
    ring with the five fixing holes to the crank at about 50mm BCD and six
    fixing holes for the inner chainring. One chainring would be fine. I just
    asked for two so that I had a spare, as there are still five bikes in our
    house that use TA/Stronglight/Sugino cranks that take these chainrings.

    Nick

    "Paul Kopit" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a 40t ring in the shop. What is the bolt pattern of the ring
    you are looking for. I don't have 2.

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:35:09 +1000, "NickP" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the closest I've
    turned up at any of my usual suppliers.


  16. On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 07:54:53 +1000, "NickP" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    You can see a photo of what I'm after at
    http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2007/cc301-nickpayne0507.html. It's the outer
    ring with the five fixing holes to the crank at about 50mm BCD and six
    fixing holes for the inner chainring. One chainring would be fine. I just
    asked for two so that I had a spare, as there are still five bikes in our
    house that use TA/Stronglight/Sugino cranks that take these chainrings.

    Nick

    "Paul Kopit" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a 40t ring in the shop. What is the bolt pattern of the ring
    you are looking for. I don't have 2.

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:35:09 +1000, "NickP" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone know of a source for these? I need two. 44t is the closest I've
    turned up at any of my usual suppliers.


    Nothing like that. Sorry.

  17. www.velo-orange.com might be able to source them for you. Email to
    Chris Kulczycki ([email hidden])

    Or send email to [email hidden] :

    "qui vend la pro VIS 5 plateaux 40T ??"

    (sorry my french is pretty rusty, assisted by Google translator)

    I have a feeling that GILLES BERTHOUD either has them or can get them
    for you :

    http://www.gillesberthoud.fr/anglais/index1.php

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.