UK and Europe · Public discussion

Talking of the TdF ...

Started by Don Whybrow · · Last activity · 14 posts · 561 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
18 July 2006
Last activity
24 July 2006
Original author
Don Whybrow
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
561
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was watching the ITV4 show on Monday night. It was a rest day so they
    were giving a re-cap of the previous week. The Saturday stage ended with
    the peloton finishing outside the time allowed given that they crossed
    the line nearly half an hour behind the 5 man breakaway. I know it would
    resulted in the smallest field ever going into the last week, but am I
    the only one that sees this as a case of the powers that be changing the
    rules because they don't like the result.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    If you're happy and you know it, clunk your chains.

  2. Don Whybrow said:

    I was watching the ITV4 show on Monday night. It was a rest day so they
    were giving a re-cap of the previous week. The Saturday stage ended with
    the peloton finishing outside the time allowed given that they crossed
    the line nearly half an hour behind the 5 man breakaway. I know it would
    resulted in the smallest field ever going into the last week, but am I
    the only one that sees this as a case of the powers that be changing the
    rules because they don't like the result.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    If you're happy and you know it, clunk your chains.

    FWIW, my understanding of the rules is that the referees (judges,
    umpires, whatevers) have significant latitude in how they apply the
    rules. Considering the magnitude of the race and the extent to which
    details are not under the control of the race organizers, I suspect
    that significant latitude is probably a necessity.

    While axing the field to 5 riders might have made for an interesting
    race, I suspect that many of the advertisers would be very unhappy with
    that result.

    Actually, IIRC, teams that lose too many riders are required to
    withdraw; I believe that the threshhold is 5 riders. If that is
    correct, eliminating the peloton would have effectively have eliminated
    ALL of the riders, which, of course, would really have annoyed the
    advertisers and the broadcasters and the thousands of people who
    travelled to France to see the race.

    Jeff
    ----
    Power corrupts. Absolute power is a lot of fun.

  3. "Don Whybrow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was watching the ITV4 show on Monday night. It was a rest day so they
    were giving a re-cap of the previous week. The Saturday stage ended with
    the peloton finishing outside the time allowed given that they crossed the
    line nearly half an hour behind the 5 man breakaway. I know it would
    resulted in the smallest field ever going into the last week, but am I the
    only one that sees this as a case of the powers that be changing the rules
    because they don't like the result.

    TdF regs are here:
    http://www.letour.fr/2006/TDF/LIVE/docs/reglement_2006_us.pdf
    includes:
    If the percentage of eliminated riders rises above 20% of starters in the
    stage, permitted fi nishing times
    may be increased upon the decision of the stewards committee, with the
    agreement of

    the race management.

    Peter

  4. "Don Whybrow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was watching the ITV4 show on Monday night. It was a rest day so they
    were giving a re-cap of the previous week. The Saturday stage ended with
    the peloton finishing outside the time allowed given that they crossed the
    line nearly half an hour behind the 5 man breakaway. I know it would
    resulted in the smallest field ever going into the last week, but am I the
    only one that sees this as a case of the powers that be changing the rules
    because they don't like the result.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    If you're happy and you know it, clunk your chains.

    Ah, but there were loads of French riders at risk so the rules were changed
    ..... and it was odd that none of the riders eliminated in the pre-race
    dopage issues were French .....

    RG


  5. Quoted message said:

    Ah, but there were loads of French riders at risk so the rules were changed
    .... and it was odd that none of the riders eliminated in the pre-race
    dopage issues were French .....
    RG

    Ahh but...
    The rules weren't changed, they include a rule for this possibility and
    have done for donkeys years.

    Robert

  6. RG said:

    "Don Whybrow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was watching the ITV4 show on Monday night. It was a rest day so they
    were giving a re-cap of the previous week. The Saturday stage ended with
    the peloton finishing outside the time allowed given that they crossed the
    line nearly half an hour behind the 5 man breakaway. I know it would
    resulted in the smallest field ever going into the last week, but am I the
    only one that sees this as a case of the powers that be changing the rules
    because they don't like the result.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    If you're happy and you know it, clunk your chains.

    Ah, but there were loads of French riders at risk so the rules were changed
    .... and it was odd that none of the riders eliminated in the pre-race
    dopage issues were French .....

    RG


    Thats not the point. The cut off is there so that climbers dont just
    twiddle along on the flat & come in 2 hours after everyone else and
    sprinters dont finish hilly stages after dark. If a breakaway goes and
    the peloton dont chase then no organiser s going to exclude all the
    overall leaders.

    Stan Cox

  7. in message said:

    .... and it was odd that none of the riders eliminated in the pre-race
    dopage issues were French .....

    Ah, don't be stupid. The clinic which was caught was a Spanish clinic.
    Therefore, most of the riders who were caught were Spanish. Nobody
    thinks it was the only clinic.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat.

  8. Quoted message said:

    Don Whybrow wrote:
    Actually, IIRC, teams that lose too many riders are required to
    withdraw; I believe that the threshhold is 5 riders.

    You can't start the race with less than 5 riders in your team. You can
    finish it with only one.

    --
    Peter Headland

  9. in message <[email hidden]>, Peter

    Headland (') said:
    Quoted message said:

    Don Whybrow wrote:
    Actually, IIRC, teams that lose too many riders are required to
    withdraw; I believe that the threshhold is 5 riders.

    You can't start the race with less than 5 riders in your team. You can
    finish it with only one.

    How do you do in the team classification, then, if there are less than
    three? I thought the team classification was taken on the time of your
    third rider over the line each day.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    to err is human, to lisp divine
    ;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

  10. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Peter

    Headland (') said:
    Quoted message said:

    Don Whybrow wrote:
    Actually, IIRC, teams that lose too many riders are required to
    withdraw; I believe that the threshhold is 5 riders.

    You can't start the race with less than 5 riders in your team. You can
    finish it with only one.

    How do you do in the team classification, then, if there are less than
    three? I thought the team classification was taken on the time of your
    third rider over the line each day.

    Without actually looking up the regs (why break with usenet tradition?) I
    think you're mixing two rules. 1) The team points are based on the team's
    best three riders' positions on each stage: and 2) The time for a TTT is
    that of the 5th rider to finish.

    Mike

  11. in message
    <[email hidden]>, Mike

    Causer (') said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>,

    Peter Headland (') said:

    > Don Whybrow wrote:
    > Actually, IIRC, teams that lose too many riders are required to
    > withdraw; I believe that the threshhold is 5 riders.

    You can't start the race with less than 5 riders in your team. You
    can finish it with only one.

    How do you do in the team classification, then, if there are less than
    three? I thought the team classification was taken on the time of your
    third rider over the line each day.

    Without actually looking up the regs (why break with usenet tradition?)
    I
    think you're mixing two rules. 1) The team points are based on the
    team's
    best three riders' positions on each stage: and 2) The time for a TTT
    is that of the 5th rider to finish.

    Yes, OK, but, what if the team has fewer than three riders?

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ,/| _.--''^``-...___.._.,;
    /, \'. _-' ,--,,,--'''
    { \ `_-'' ' /
    `;;' ; ; ;
    ._..--'' ._,,, _..' .;.'
    (,_....----''' (,..--''

  12. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Peter

    Headland (') said:
    Quoted message said:

    Don Whybrow wrote:
    Actually, IIRC, teams that lose too many riders are required to
    withdraw; I believe that the threshhold is 5 riders.

    You can't start the race with less than 5 riders in your team. You can
    finish it with only one.

    How do you do in the team classification, then, if there are less than
    three? I thought the team classification was taken on the time of your
    third rider over the line each day.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    to err is human, to lisp divine
    ;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

    I thought they added the time of the top three riders overall for each
    team for the team classification. So if you have less that three riders
    in the race your total will be very low so you will do very badly. I
    have not reviewed the rules though becasuse I don't really care.

  13. Simon Brooke said:

    Yes, OK, but, what if the team has fewer than three riders?

    http://www.letour.fr/2006/TDF/LIVE/docs/reglement_2006_us.pdf

    e) General team ranking
    (ar t. 2.6.016)

    The general team ranking is established by adding together the best
    individual times of each team in all the stages.

    If there is a tie between teams in stage rankings, the three best
    places achieved in that stage by each team are added together. If
    there is a tie between teams in the general ranking, the teams are
    separated by adding up the number of stage victories per team, then
    by the number of second places, and so on, until the number of
    places obtained by one or the other team allows for a clear ranking
    to be established. If there is still a tie, the winner will be the
    team with the rider with the best position in the general individual
    classification.

    Any team reduced to fewer than three riders will be disqualfied from
    the general team ranking.

    Mike

  14. In article <[email hidden]>

    MSeries said:


    Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Peter

    Headland (') said:

    > Don Whybrow wrote:
    > Actually, IIRC, teams that lose too many riders are required to
    > withdraw; I believe that the threshhold is 5 riders.

    You can't start the race with less than 5 riders in your team. You can
    finish it with only one.

    How do you do in the team classification, then, if there are less than
    three? I thought the team classification was taken on the time of your
    third rider over the line each day.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    to err is human, to lisp divine
    ;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

    I thought they added the time of the top three riders overall for each
    team for the team classification. So if you have less that three riders
    in the race your total will be very low so you will do very badly.

    Clue: lower time = faster

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.