Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Taller gears on a MTB?

Started by David S. Maddison · · Last activity · 15 posts · 878 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
1 October 2003
Last activity
2 November 2003
Original author
David S. Maddison
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
878
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a friend who feels that he wants taller gears on his MTB, the
    problem being that he is pedalling as fast as he can at 60kph. I said
    that MTBs are optimised for speeds less than that and if he wants
    gearing to go to faster speeds he should go for a road bike.

    Is there any reasonable compromise? Is it possible to have a good low
    range and a gear or two for fast speeds such as 60-80 kph+?

    BTW, in case you are wondering, we are talking about down-hill or wind
    assisted speeds :-)

    David

  2. "David S. Maddison" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message

    Quoted message said:

    I have a friend who feels that he wants taller gears on his MTB, the
    problem being that he is pedalling as fast as he can at 60kph. I said
    that MTBs are optimised for speeds less than that and if he wants
    gearing to go to faster speeds he should go for a road bike.

    He might be able to pedal faster than that with training?
    Find out what his cadence is at 60kph.. I'm sure it's pretty hard
    to really spin out in mtb top gear?

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any reasonable compromise? Is it possible to have a good low
    range and a gear or two for fast speeds such as 60-80 kph+?

    With a standard 42-32-22 set of chainrings, he could fit a
    road cassette and still have a fairly good range of gears.
    I used this setup briefly and from memory it's quite good for
    a commuting setup. Assuming he has a 12T or 13T cog on
    the rear, going to a 21-11 or 23-11 cassette should give
    him a bit more speed in the top end. Looking at Sheldon's
    chart, it seems some of the mtb cassettes go down to 11
    teeth too?
    Meh! Tell him to pedal faster! ;-)

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

    Quoted message said:

    BTW, in case you are wondering, we are talking about down-hill or wind
    assisted speeds :-)

    What, he's not doing 60kph through the mountains? Pfft! ;-)
    I wish I had his luck with downhills and/or tailwinds..

    hippy
    Oh, he could go to singlespeed.. that'll learn 'im! :-)

  3. "hippy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "David S. Maddison" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message

    Quoted message said:

    I have a friend who feels that he wants taller gears on his MTB, the
    problem being that he is pedalling as fast as he can at 60kph. I said
    that MTBs are optimised for speeds less than that and if he wants
    gearing to go to faster speeds he should go for a road bike.

    He might be able to pedal faster than that with training?
    Find out what his cadence is at 60kph.. I'm sure it's pretty hard
    to really spin out in mtb top gear?

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any reasonable compromise? Is it possible to have a good low
    range and a gear or two for fast speeds such as 60-80 kph+?

    With a standard 42-32-22 set of chainrings, he could fit a
    road cassette and still have a fairly good range of gears.
    I used this setup briefly and from memory it's quite good for
    a commuting setup. Assuming he has a 12T or 13T cog on
    the rear, going to a 21-11 or 23-11 cassette should give
    him a bit more speed in the top end. Looking at Sheldon's
    chart, it seems some of the mtb cassettes go down to 11
    teeth too?
    Meh! Tell him to pedal faster! ;-)

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

    Quoted message said:

    BTW, in case you are wondering, we are talking about down-hill or wind
    assisted speeds :-)

    What, he's not doing 60kph through the mountains? Pfft! ;-)
    I wish I had his luck with downhills and/or tailwinds..

    hippy
    Oh, he could go to singlespeed.. that'll learn 'im! :-)

    MTB Bike cassettes do indeed go down to 11 teeth, but there are times when that's not enough. What he wants is a 54T chainring,
    I've seen a few roadbikes with MTB cranks so I don't see why not the other way around.

    Rob

  4. what gears he has now would really help.
    he must be spinning pretty fast already, if he has 42/12 l make it about 140
    cadence. so going to an 11 on the back will get him to 65. then a 48 on the
    front will get him to 75. but you need to worry about chain length and how
    many links difference his derailleur can handle

  5. "Rob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    MTB Bike cassettes do indeed go down to 11 teeth, but there are times


    when that's not enough. What he wants is a 54T chainring,

    Quoted message said:

    I've seen a few roadbikes with MTB cranks so I don't see why not the


    other way around.

    My roadbike doesn't even have a 54T chainring..
    If he's that fast, maybe he needs a roadbike?!

    3rd party chainring makers might be able to supply
    a larger chainring for your mate's cranks - cheaper
    than a whole crankset - assuming he has cranks
    that allow chainrings to be swapped? What type
    of cranks does he have (Acera, Deore, XT, etc)?
    Maybe Shimano has larger chainrings for mtb but
    I don't think they'd go near 54T. I'm not sure if
    the spider design allows road rings to be fitted to
    an mtb either.

    Shifting from 22 to 32 to 54 could be a problem.
    Front derailer adjustment would be horrid I'm
    guessing, if possible at all?

    Looking here:
    http://www.cambriabike.com/cranks&rings/chainrng.htm
    48T seems to be the largest chainring.

    Try:
    <http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/Content.asp?S=Details%20@ID=420>
    or maybe www.dirtworks.com.au

    Sounds like a bit of a pain for a few kph at the
    top end of his gearing..

    HTH
    hippy

  6. David S. Maddison:

    Quoted message said:


    I have a friend who feels that he wants taller gears on his MTB, the
    problem being that he is pedalling as fast as he can at 60kph. I said
    that MTBs are optimised for speeds less than that and if he wants
    gearing to go to faster speeds he should go for a road bike.

    Is there any reasonable compromise? Is it possible to have a good low
    range and a gear or two for fast speeds such as 60-80 kph+?

    BTW, in case you are wondering, we are talking about down-hill or wind
    assisted speeds :-)

    Most MtBs have compact chainrings which are fine for off-road, but not
    really suitable for on-road if speed is desired.

    There is no need to buy a road bike; getting larger chainrings might be
    sufficient. "Traditional" or "standard" chainrings which typically have
    ranges of 26-36-46T or 28-38-48T can add significantly higher gears,
    even if the cassette is left unchanged. An additional cost, however, is
    a new front derailer if the current one can only operate up to a 44T
    large chainring.

    Experiment with a 26-36-48T setup; this gives a higher top gear while
    allowing for mid-gear ratios suitable for off-road tracks.

  7. David S. Maddison <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a friend who feels that he wants taller gears on his MTB, the
    problem being that he is pedalling as fast as he can at 60kph. I said
    that MTBs are optimised for speeds less than that and if he wants
    gearing to go to faster speeds he should go for a road bike.

    Is there any reasonable compromise? Is it possible to have a good low
    range and a gear or two for fast speeds such as 60-80 kph+?

    I used to always bump the gearing on my MTBs but now I'm having second
    thoughts. I came from a road background so MTB felt way too short.

    I go 46 or 48 up front, 11 at the back.
    My dedicated off-roader is standard MTB gearing.

    Problems include:
    4 arm crank with 48 tooth is very flimsy.
    You need a longer more slappy chain.
    MTB front derailer curvature is matched to smaller ring.
    Clearance is reduced.
    MTB chainstays splay out faster, possibly requiring wider BB which
    over extends the front derailer. This also gives a bad chain line.
    Replacement rings are harder to find.
    Shifting isn't as good (up front).
    Most MTBing is not at very high speed, that's not what they're for.
    If you have open downhill you're either between trails or wasting
    altitude that could be spent on more tricky stuff.
    There's probably more I can't think of right now.

    There really aren't any problems with the rear end. You can try going
    road up front but chances are you'll need a much wider BB leading to
    above mentioned problems.

    Cheers,
    Duncan.

  8. Duncan:

    Quoted message said:

    I go 46 or 48 up front, 11 at the back.
    My dedicated off-roader is standard MTB gearing.

    Problems include:
    4 arm crank with 48 tooth is very flimsy.
    You need a longer more slappy chain.

    A couple of added links doesn't make an appreciable difference to the
    chain "slapping".

    Quoted message said:

    MTB front derailer curvature is matched to smaller ring.

    You need a matching front derailer.

    Quoted message said:

    Clearance is reduced.

    Clearance for what?

    Quoted message said:

    MTB chainstays splay out faster, possibly requiring wider BB which
    over extends the front derailer.

    Chainstays are fixed; increasing chainring size from 44T to 48T doesn't
    require altering the chainline.

    Quoted message said:

    This also gives a bad chain line.

    Not if you don't change the BB length, and there is no need to unless
    road chainrings are used.

    Quoted message said:

    Replacement rings are harder to find.

    Depends on the number of arms on the crank; 46-48T 5-hole chainrings in
    110mm BCD aren't hard to find.

    Quoted message said:

    Shifting isn't as good (up front).

    Front derailer must be replaced appropriately; a compact fd will not
    work well on a "traditional" chainring set.

    Quoted message said:

    Most MTBing is not at very high speed, that's not what they're for.

    But a compromise can be reached when using it on the road. That's
    what's being debated.

  9. "Jose Rizal" <_@_._> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Duncan:

    Quoted message said:

    I go 46 or 48 up front, 11 at the back.
    My dedicated off-roader is standard MTB gearing.

    Problems include:
    4 arm crank with 48 tooth is very flimsy.
    You need a longer more slappy chain.

    A couple of added links doesn't make an appreciable difference to the
    chain "slapping".

    Maybe not, but it doesn't help.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    MTB front derailer curvature is matched to smaller ring.

    You need a matching front derailer.

    True, they might be a bit hard to find and limit options though.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Clearance is reduced.

    Clearance for what?

    Rocks and logs and stuff.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    MTB chainstays splay out faster, possibly requiring wider BB which
    over extends the front derailer.

    Chainstays are fixed; increasing chainring size from 44T to 48T doesn't
    require altering the chainline.

    It does if the ring now hits the frame, you then need a longer BB axle.
    You need good clearance here as bikes flex a fair bit.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This also gives a bad chain line.

    Not if you don't change the BB length, and there is no need to unless
    road chainrings are used.

    See above.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Replacement rings are harder to find.

    Depends on the number of arms on the crank; 46-48T 5-hole chainrings in
    110mm BCD aren't hard to find.

    Unfortunatly most modern MTBs are 4 arm.
    A road crank often doesn't fit striaght on an MTB due to the wider stays.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Shifting isn't as good (up front).

    Front derailer must be replaced appropriately; a compact fd will not
    work well on a "traditional" chainring set.

    True, but the bigger the gap the less refined the shift.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Most MTBing is not at very high speed, that's not what they're for.

    But a compromise can be reached when using it on the road. That's
    what's being debated.

    Of course, I still run a 48 on my commuter bike, but it sucks when I take it
    off road.
    I've tried a variety of setups on previous bikes, but none have been that
    successful. Maybe if I threw more money at it I could sort it all out, but
    I tend to wait for things to wear out before I replace them.

    The road cranks didn't work well at all because the end of the cranks hit
    the frame. After buying an expensive long axle BB (ultegra?) the chain line
    was all screwed and by that point I ran out of interest.

  10. hippy said:

    "Rob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    MTB Bike cassettes do indeed go down to 11 teeth, but there are times


    when that's not enough. What he wants is a 54T chainring,

    Quoted message said:

    I've seen a few roadbikes with MTB cranks so I don't see why not the


    other way around.

    Quoted message said:

    My roadbike doesn't even have a 54T chainring..
    If he's that fast, maybe he needs a roadbike?!

    Quoted message said:

    3rd party chainring makers might be able to supply
    a larger chainring for your mate's cranks - cheaper
    than a whole crankset - assuming he has cranks
    that allow chainrings to be swapped? What type
    of cranks does he have (Acera, Deore, XT, etc)?
    Maybe Shimano has larger chainrings for mtb but
    I don't think they'd go near 54T. I'm not sure if
    the spider design allows road rings to be fitted to
    an mtb either.

    Quoted message said:

    Shifting from 22 to 32 to 54 could be a problem.
    Front derailer adjustment would be horrid I'm
    guessing, if possible at all?

    Quoted message said:

    Looking here:
    http://www.cambriabike.com/cranks&rings/chainrng.htm
    48T seems to be the largest chainring.

    Quoted message said:

    Try:
    <http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/Content.asp?S=Details%20@ID=420>
    or maybe www.dirtworks.com.au

    Quoted message said:

    Sounds like a bit of a pain for a few kph at the
    top end of his gearing..

    Quoted message said:

    HTH
    hippy

    I have a friend who put 105 cranks on a Shogun MTB.
    It worked fine.

    You could look around for some secondhand cranks.

    Cheers.
    --
    Nick

  11. "David S. Maddison" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I have a friend who feels that he wants taller gears on his MTB, the
    problem being that he is pedalling as fast as he can at 60kph. I said
    that MTBs are optimised for speeds less than that and if he wants
    gearing to go to faster speeds he should go for a road bike.

    Is there any reasonable compromise? Is it possible to have a good low
    range and a gear or two for fast speeds such as 60-80 kph+?

    BTW, in case you are wondering, we are talking about down-hill or wind
    assisted speeds :-)

    David

    David,

    44 front, 11 rear, 100 cadence, 26"MTB tyre= ~49kmph. This should be easy.
    If your mate is capable of getting to 125 cadence he is doing over 60kmph.

    You can pick up a 46 fairly easily, this brings 100 cadence to 51kmph and
    125 to to about 64. Remember you still have all the MTB range to select
    from eg 28~34 or thereabouts. The cadence of 125 is not super quick, many
    riders regularly spin at 90-110.

    If your mate can push a MTB at 80kmph even with a tail wind and slicks, then
    get him into racing.

    Kevin

  12. K&C Russell said:


    David,

    44 front, 11 rear, 100 cadence, 26"MTB tyre= ~49kmph. This should be easy.
    If your mate is capable of getting to 125 cadence he is doing over 60kmph.

    You can pick up a 46 fairly easily, this brings 100 cadence to 51kmph and
    125 to to about 64. Remember you still have all the MTB range to select
    from eg 28~34 or thereabouts. The cadence of 125 is not super quick, many
    riders regularly spin at 90-110.

    If your mate can push a MTB at 80kmph even with a tail wind and slicks, then
    get him into racing.

    hmmm... if only I could sustain it, and it wasn't only down huge
    hills... 60's easy downhill - even off road - not singletrack, mind
    you!

    I run 44/11 and knobbies or a rear semi slick.

    But racing? I suck! You have to go uphills too!

    Tony F
    www.thefathippy.com

  13. "tony f" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    hmmm... if only I could sustain it, and it wasn't only down huge
    hills... 60's easy downhill - even off road - not singletrack, mind
    you!

    Rode the 'Red Hot Rim Run' near Healesville with Keiran Ryan's ORCA group a
    few years back. 800m descent in about 12 kms, on sketchy gravel firetrail
    and double track dodging through mountain ash forest. I hit 59 kmh - heart
    in the mouth stuff. Thought this was pretty good until I spoke to some of
    the guys on their downhill sleds, they hit 79 kmh !!!!

    Quoted message said:

    I run 44/11 and knobbies or a rear semi slick.

    Sounds a good setup for road and dirt riding. Mine is a 46/11 and the 46 was
    the standard chainring on MTBs when I bought mine 10 years ago. Now does
    very well as my touring setup, for road riding and high country back track
    touring.

    Cheers
    Peter

  14. "Peter Signorini" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "tony f" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    hmmm... if only I could sustain it, and it wasn't only down huge
    hills... 60's easy downhill - even off road - not singletrack, mind
    you!

    Rode the 'Red Hot Rim Run' near Healesville with Keiran Ryan's ORCA group


    a

    Quoted message said:

    few years back. 800m descent in about 12 kms, on sketchy gravel firetrail
    and double track dodging through mountain ash forest. I hit 59 kmh - heart
    in the mouth stuff. Thought this was pretty good until I spoke to some of
    the guys on their downhill sleds, they hit 79 kmh !!!!

    My max was 88 down that track, and that was with a 42/11 gear. What really
    makes the difference is knowing a few corners before the really steep bit
    not to touch the brakes. At one point the ground drops away faster than you
    can and you float above the surface :-)

  15. I'm about to replace my 46T outer ring with a 48T and the 24T inner with
    a 22T one. The middle ring will remain a 34T. This is nearly the same as
    one of the 2 new Shimano XT crankset ring options 48T-36-22. As XTR and
    XT front derailleurs are often compatible with a 48T outer ring, this
    should give adequate shifting with my new XTR fd I'm hoping. I'm
    currently running a custom 11-30T 9spd cassette which is due for
    replacement at this time also. I've been encouraged to adapt my existing
    Race-Face cranks as the new XT ones r costing around $440 🙁.

    The upcoming 20th anniversay Great Vic Ride is also starting atop Mt
    Hotham this year so with around 40kms of downhill on day 1, I expect to
    exceed last years 80kph coming down Mt Macedon.

    We do all know that a WRX Suburu is sort of the equivalent of a road
    riden MTB dont we? So why cant we have our cake and eat it too with just
    a few adjustments?

    (ps. On the 1st Great Vic Ride I had a racer with 60T-46 rings and a
    6spd 13-24 cluster. Yes! ....not exactly a good uphill gearset around
    Beechworth, but what a blast coming down. Nowadays I spin much faster
    than my old slogging and can go nearly as fast with 46/11.)

    --

    Quoted message said:

    --------------------------<


    Posted via cyclingforums.com
    http://www.cyclingforums.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.