General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

tamales

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 298 posts · 9,235 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 July 2005
Last activity
30 July 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
298
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
9,235
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 281–298 of 298
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dennis Turner said:

    On 7/25/2005 12:03 PM or thereabouts, jmcquown appears, somewhat
    unbelievably, to have opined:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    When I was a kid in California (a long time ago) We used to get big
    fat tamales wrapped in corn husks and paper with string tying the
    ends. We found them in the grocery store. Maybe they still have them
    there. I would love to find a recipe that might come close to them.
    Anyone here make tamales?

    If you want to spend all day making tamales, knock yourself out 🙂
    This recipe is from Pam, a sometimes poster and tamale fanatic:

    Pork Tamales

    4 - 5 lbs pork shoulder roast
    Jill

    My Cuban in-laws grow their own corn, harvest it, grind it fresh and
    use
    this rather than packaged masa mix. I have to say that freshly ground
    corn in place of the mix makes for a MUCH more flavorful tamal
    (singular
    of tamales). They wrap them in the fresh green husks rather than the
    dried ones from the grocery store. This probably adds flavor as well.
    I
    was never really a tamale fan until I tasted these. Now I can't get
    enough of them.

    Cuban tamales are also HUGE when compared with the typical Mexican
    ones.
    One tamal is a meal with these puppies. Getting hungry, now. Harvest
    time is coming soon for the corn. Tamales making day is an all day
    project for the entire family. Harvesting the corn, grinding,


    (snippage)

    How do you grind still fresh wet corn the same day? Or is it allowed to dry
    (either on the stalk or not) and then ground? I'm confused by this although
    I'm sure making your own "masa" is better than the mix.

    There is a small restaurant not too terribly far from where I live where
    they make tamales which don't use a corn-based dough at all. It's more of a
    puffy floury thing but very moist dough, thick and filled with a lot of
    spicy shredded meat (pork, chicken or beef). It's not served in corn husks
    at all. I've never encountered this except at this one particular family
    owned place. They are delicious.

    And thanks very much to the OP for setting off a tamale craving!

    Jill

  2. Bob said:
    Debbie said:

    Anyone have any suggestions or recipes for the hot sauce Bob
    mentioned for tamales?

    I didn't mean to give the impression that the sauce was HOT; it
    doesn't have to be. As mentioned elsewhere, an enchilada sauce is a
    typical accompaniment. Here's an excerpt from the now-defunct
    "Taqueria Tech" web site. It starts off by making shredded beef, and
    uses leftover vegetables as the basis for an enchilada sauce:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Shredded Beef
    The first thing I do when trying a new Mexican restaurant is ask if
    the quesadillas are made with flour tortillas and if the tacos are
    made with shredded beef. If the answer to either is "no", I am
    immediately suspect of the nature of the food.


    (snippage)

    Having worked with a woman who thought shredded meat in tacos was somehow
    unnatural I have to agree with you. If it didn't come with ground beef in a
    crunchy shell and packaged sauce packets (aka Taco Bell) she simply wasn't
    able to accept it as a taco. I doubt she's ever tasted a tamale, canned,
    jarred, frozen or otherwise (ground meat notwithstanding). Mores the pity
    but it's her palate.

    Jill

  3. Bob said:
    Debbie said:

    Anyone have any suggestions or recipes for the hot sauce Bob
    mentioned for tamales?

    I didn't mean to give the impression that the sauce was HOT; it
    doesn't have to be. As mentioned elsewhere, an enchilada sauce is a
    typical accompaniment. Here's an excerpt from the now-defunct
    "Taqueria Tech" web site. It starts off by making shredded beef, and
    uses leftover vegetables as the basis for an enchilada sauce:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Shredded Beef
    The first thing I do when trying a new Mexican restaurant is ask if
    the quesadillas are made with flour tortillas and if the tacos are
    made with shredded beef. If the answer to either is "no", I am
    immediately suspect of the nature of the food.


    (snippage)

    Having worked with a woman who thought shredded meat in tacos was somehow
    unnatural I have to agree with you. If it didn't come with ground beef in a
    crunchy shell and packaged sauce packets (aka Taco Bell) she simply wasn't
    able to accept it as a taco. I doubt she's ever tasted a tamale, canned,
    jarred, frozen or otherwise (ground meat notwithstanding). Mores the pity
    but it's her palate.

    Jill

  4. Bob said:
    Debbie said:

    Anyone have any suggestions or recipes for the hot sauce Bob
    mentioned for tamales?

    I didn't mean to give the impression that the sauce was HOT; it
    doesn't have to be. As mentioned elsewhere, an enchilada sauce is a
    typical accompaniment. Here's an excerpt from the now-defunct
    "Taqueria Tech" web site. It starts off by making shredded beef, and
    uses leftover vegetables as the basis for an enchilada sauce:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Shredded Beef
    The first thing I do when trying a new Mexican restaurant is ask if
    the quesadillas are made with flour tortillas and if the tacos are
    made with shredded beef. If the answer to either is "no", I am
    immediately suspect of the nature of the food.


    (snippage)

    Having worked with a woman who thought shredded meat in tacos was somehow
    unnatural I have to agree with you. If it didn't come with ground beef in a
    crunchy shell and packaged sauce packets (aka Taco Bell) she simply wasn't
    able to accept it as a taco. I doubt she's ever tasted a tamale, canned,
    jarred, frozen or otherwise (ground meat notwithstanding). Mores the pity
    but it's her palate.

    Jill

  5. Bob said:
    Debbie said:

    Anyone have any suggestions or recipes for the hot sauce Bob
    mentioned for tamales?

    I didn't mean to give the impression that the sauce was HOT; it
    doesn't have to be. As mentioned elsewhere, an enchilada sauce is a
    typical accompaniment. Here's an excerpt from the now-defunct
    "Taqueria Tech" web site. It starts off by making shredded beef, and
    uses leftover vegetables as the basis for an enchilada sauce:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Shredded Beef
    The first thing I do when trying a new Mexican restaurant is ask if
    the quesadillas are made with flour tortillas and if the tacos are
    made with shredded beef. If the answer to either is "no", I am
    immediately suspect of the nature of the food.


    (snippage)

    Having worked with a woman who thought shredded meat in tacos was somehow
    unnatural I have to agree with you. If it didn't come with ground beef in a
    crunchy shell and packaged sauce packets (aka Taco Bell) she simply wasn't
    able to accept it as a taco. I doubt she's ever tasted a tamale, canned,
    jarred, frozen or otherwise (ground meat notwithstanding). Mores the pity
    but it's her palate.

    Jill

  6. Bob said:
    Debbie said:

    Anyone have any suggestions or recipes for the hot sauce Bob
    mentioned for tamales?

    I didn't mean to give the impression that the sauce was HOT; it
    doesn't have to be. As mentioned elsewhere, an enchilada sauce is a
    typical accompaniment. Here's an excerpt from the now-defunct
    "Taqueria Tech" web site. It starts off by making shredded beef, and
    uses leftover vegetables as the basis for an enchilada sauce:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Shredded Beef
    The first thing I do when trying a new Mexican restaurant is ask if
    the quesadillas are made with flour tortillas and if the tacos are
    made with shredded beef. If the answer to either is "no", I am
    immediately suspect of the nature of the food.


    (snippage)

    Having worked with a woman who thought shredded meat in tacos was somehow
    unnatural I have to agree with you. If it didn't come with ground beef in a
    crunchy shell and packaged sauce packets (aka Taco Bell) she simply wasn't
    able to accept it as a taco. I doubt she's ever tasted a tamale, canned,
    jarred, frozen or otherwise (ground meat notwithstanding). Mores the pity
    but it's her palate.

    Jill

  7. Bob said:
    Debbie said:

    Anyone have any suggestions or recipes for the hot sauce Bob
    mentioned for tamales?

    I didn't mean to give the impression that the sauce was HOT; it
    doesn't have to be. As mentioned elsewhere, an enchilada sauce is a
    typical accompaniment. Here's an excerpt from the now-defunct
    "Taqueria Tech" web site. It starts off by making shredded beef, and
    uses leftover vegetables as the basis for an enchilada sauce:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Shredded Beef
    The first thing I do when trying a new Mexican restaurant is ask if
    the quesadillas are made with flour tortillas and if the tacos are
    made with shredded beef. If the answer to either is "no", I am
    immediately suspect of the nature of the food.


    (snippage)

    Having worked with a woman who thought shredded meat in tacos was somehow
    unnatural I have to agree with you. If it didn't come with ground beef in a
    crunchy shell and packaged sauce packets (aka Taco Bell) she simply wasn't
    able to accept it as a taco. I doubt she's ever tasted a tamale, canned,
    jarred, frozen or otherwise (ground meat notwithstanding). Mores the pity
    but it's her palate.

    Jill

  8. Bob said:
    Debbie said:

    Anyone have any suggestions or recipes for the hot sauce Bob
    mentioned for tamales?

    I didn't mean to give the impression that the sauce was HOT; it
    doesn't have to be. As mentioned elsewhere, an enchilada sauce is a
    typical accompaniment. Here's an excerpt from the now-defunct
    "Taqueria Tech" web site. It starts off by making shredded beef, and
    uses leftover vegetables as the basis for an enchilada sauce:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Shredded Beef
    The first thing I do when trying a new Mexican restaurant is ask if
    the quesadillas are made with flour tortillas and if the tacos are
    made with shredded beef. If the answer to either is "no", I am
    immediately suspect of the nature of the food.


    (snippage)

    Having worked with a woman who thought shredded meat in tacos was somehow
    unnatural I have to agree with you. If it didn't come with ground beef in a
    crunchy shell and packaged sauce packets (aka Taco Bell) she simply wasn't
    able to accept it as a taco. I doubt she's ever tasted a tamale, canned,
    jarred, frozen or otherwise (ground meat notwithstanding). Mores the pity
    but it's her palate.

    Jill

  9. Bob said:
    Debbie said:

    Anyone have any suggestions or recipes for the hot sauce Bob
    mentioned for tamales?

    I didn't mean to give the impression that the sauce was HOT; it
    doesn't have to be. As mentioned elsewhere, an enchilada sauce is a
    typical accompaniment. Here's an excerpt from the now-defunct
    "Taqueria Tech" web site. It starts off by making shredded beef, and
    uses leftover vegetables as the basis for an enchilada sauce:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Shredded Beef
    The first thing I do when trying a new Mexican restaurant is ask if
    the quesadillas are made with flour tortillas and if the tacos are
    made with shredded beef. If the answer to either is "no", I am
    immediately suspect of the nature of the food.


    (snippage)

    Having worked with a woman who thought shredded meat in tacos was somehow
    unnatural I have to agree with you. If it didn't come with ground beef in a
    crunchy shell and packaged sauce packets (aka Taco Bell) she simply wasn't
    able to accept it as a taco. I doubt she's ever tasted a tamale, canned,
    jarred, frozen or otherwise (ground meat notwithstanding). Mores the pity
    but it's her palate.

    Jill

  10. Bob said:
    Debbie said:

    Anyone have any suggestions or recipes for the hot sauce Bob
    mentioned for tamales?

    I didn't mean to give the impression that the sauce was HOT; it
    doesn't have to be. As mentioned elsewhere, an enchilada sauce is a
    typical accompaniment. Here's an excerpt from the now-defunct
    "Taqueria Tech" web site. It starts off by making shredded beef, and
    uses leftover vegetables as the basis for an enchilada sauce:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Shredded Beef
    The first thing I do when trying a new Mexican restaurant is ask if
    the quesadillas are made with flour tortillas and if the tacos are
    made with shredded beef. If the answer to either is "no", I am
    immediately suspect of the nature of the food.


    (snippage)

    Having worked with a woman who thought shredded meat in tacos was somehow
    unnatural I have to agree with you. If it didn't come with ground beef in a
    crunchy shell and packaged sauce packets (aka Taco Bell) she simply wasn't
    able to accept it as a taco. I doubt she's ever tasted a tamale, canned,
    jarred, frozen or otherwise (ground meat notwithstanding). Mores the pity
    but it's her palate.

    Jill

  11. Bob said:
    Debbie said:

    Anyone have any suggestions or recipes for the hot sauce Bob
    mentioned for tamales?

    I didn't mean to give the impression that the sauce was HOT; it
    doesn't have to be. As mentioned elsewhere, an enchilada sauce is a
    typical accompaniment. Here's an excerpt from the now-defunct
    "Taqueria Tech" web site. It starts off by making shredded beef, and
    uses leftover vegetables as the basis for an enchilada sauce:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Shredded Beef
    The first thing I do when trying a new Mexican restaurant is ask if
    the quesadillas are made with flour tortillas and if the tacos are
    made with shredded beef. If the answer to either is "no", I am
    immediately suspect of the nature of the food.


    (snippage)

    Having worked with a woman who thought shredded meat in tacos was somehow
    unnatural I have to agree with you. If it didn't come with ground beef in a
    crunchy shell and packaged sauce packets (aka Taco Bell) she simply wasn't
    able to accept it as a taco. I doubt she's ever tasted a tamale, canned,
    jarred, frozen or otherwise (ground meat notwithstanding). Mores the pity
    but it's her palate.

    Jill

  12. Bob said:
    Debbie said:

    Anyone have any suggestions or recipes for the hot sauce Bob
    mentioned for tamales?

    I didn't mean to give the impression that the sauce was HOT; it
    doesn't have to be. As mentioned elsewhere, an enchilada sauce is a
    typical accompaniment. Here's an excerpt from the now-defunct
    "Taqueria Tech" web site. It starts off by making shredded beef, and
    uses leftover vegetables as the basis for an enchilada sauce:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Shredded Beef
    The first thing I do when trying a new Mexican restaurant is ask if
    the quesadillas are made with flour tortillas and if the tacos are
    made with shredded beef. If the answer to either is "no", I am
    immediately suspect of the nature of the food.


    (snippage)

    Having worked with a woman who thought shredded meat in tacos was somehow
    unnatural I have to agree with you. If it didn't come with ground beef in a
    crunchy shell and packaged sauce packets (aka Taco Bell) she simply wasn't
    able to accept it as a taco. I doubt she's ever tasted a tamale, canned,
    jarred, frozen or otherwise (ground meat notwithstanding). Mores the pity
    but it's her palate.

    Jill

  13. Bob said:
    Debbie said:

    Anyone have any suggestions or recipes for the hot sauce Bob
    mentioned for tamales?

    I didn't mean to give the impression that the sauce was HOT; it
    doesn't have to be. As mentioned elsewhere, an enchilada sauce is a
    typical accompaniment. Here's an excerpt from the now-defunct
    "Taqueria Tech" web site. It starts off by making shredded beef, and
    uses leftover vegetables as the basis for an enchilada sauce:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Shredded Beef
    The first thing I do when trying a new Mexican restaurant is ask if
    the quesadillas are made with flour tortillas and if the tacos are
    made with shredded beef. If the answer to either is "no", I am
    immediately suspect of the nature of the food.


    (snippage)

    Having worked with a woman who thought shredded meat in tacos was somehow
    unnatural I have to agree with you. If it didn't come with ground beef in a
    crunchy shell and packaged sauce packets (aka Taco Bell) she simply wasn't
    able to accept it as a taco. I doubt she's ever tasted a tamale, canned,
    jarred, frozen or otherwise (ground meat notwithstanding). Mores the pity
    but it's her palate.

    Jill

  14. Bob said:
    Debbie said:

    Anyone have any suggestions or recipes for the hot sauce Bob
    mentioned for tamales?

    I didn't mean to give the impression that the sauce was HOT; it
    doesn't have to be. As mentioned elsewhere, an enchilada sauce is a
    typical accompaniment. Here's an excerpt from the now-defunct
    "Taqueria Tech" web site. It starts off by making shredded beef, and
    uses leftover vegetables as the basis for an enchilada sauce:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Shredded Beef
    The first thing I do when trying a new Mexican restaurant is ask if
    the quesadillas are made with flour tortillas and if the tacos are
    made with shredded beef. If the answer to either is "no", I am
    immediately suspect of the nature of the food.


    (snippage)

    Having worked with a woman who thought shredded meat in tacos was somehow
    unnatural I have to agree with you. If it didn't come with ground beef in a
    crunchy shell and packaged sauce packets (aka Taco Bell) she simply wasn't
    able to accept it as a taco. I doubt she's ever tasted a tamale, canned,
    jarred, frozen or otherwise (ground meat notwithstanding). Mores the pity
    but it's her palate.

    Jill

  15. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:22:43 -0700, "Desert Rainbow" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    You don't just "slow cook pork for 11 hours". Pulling a large amount of
    pork after it's been slow cooked is not zero effort. Putting the pork
    together and preparing the dried/fresh peppers and the sauce you cook it is
    is not zero effort. Mixing up the tamal with the pork lard to the right
    consistency is not zero effort. And for someone who is new to the whole
    process, making tamales is *a lot of effort*.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A real shortcut would be using already prepared pork from the
    grocery store, and already mixed up tamal from a place that'll sell it to
    you. Still you have the assembly and steaming, but it would be a lot less
    work overall. Though you'd have less control over the quality of the end
    product because you wouldn't be making the filling or the tamal yourself.

    Freezer??? Using already prepared pork from the grocery store and
    already mixed up tamal???
    (Scratches head.)

    Yes, in many parts of the world they have this really great invention
    called "refrigeration". It keeps food cold so that it lasts longer. In some
    cases the food gets so cold that it is "frozen" into a solid mass. When it
    is like this, it keeps for a very long time without going bad. While it is
    true that some foods suffer a degradation of quality during this process,
    the "freezing" often makes it possible to safe time when assembling certain
    foods and so the trade off of quality may be worth it to some people.

    Additionally, some people are lucky enough to live in places where there
    are businesses that supply mexican restaurants and average citizens with
    ingredients. A few of those ingredients that some places supply are pulled
    meats, freshly made masa, and/or tamal. One can take money (that one
    usually earns by working) to these establishments, and trade the money for
    the freshly made tamal, and bring it home, thereby avoiding the effort of
    whipping up the lard and making the tamal oneself or pulling the pork.

    By taking advantage of these two things (refrigeration and paying others
    for some of the work), one can save some time and effort in the creation of
    tamales, as I said, these would be actual "short cuts" not just spreading
    out the work over a couple of days.

    --
    Siobhan Perricone
    "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair; then I
    thought, 'Wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the
    terrible things that happened to us come because we actually deserved
    them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
    unfairness of the universe."
    - Marcus, Babylon 5, "A Late Delivery from Avalon"

  16. Jill said:

    How do you grind still fresh wet corn the same day? Or is it allowed to
    dry (either on the stalk or not) and then ground? I'm confused by this
    although I'm sure making your own "masa" is better than the mix.

    Remove the kernels from the cob and run them through a meat grinder or a
    food processor. Yes, it'll still be wet. I've got a similar recipe for
    tortilla masa.

    Quoted message said:

    There is a small restaurant not too terribly far from where I live where
    they make tamales which don't use a corn-based dough at all. It's more of
    a puffy floury thing but very moist dough, thick and filled with a lot of
    spicy shredded meat (pork, chicken or beef). It's not served in corn
    husks at all. I've never encountered this except at this one particular
    family owned place. They are delicious.

    According to a good friend of mine, Salvadoran tamales are white and are
    cooked in banana leaves rather than corn husks. But I *think* the dough is
    primarily made from white hominy, so it's still corn-based.

    Puffy is good. I wonder how they achieve that. Hm...come to think of it,
    what you describe sounds a lot like a Chinese bao (steamed bun).

    Bob

  17. "Siobhan Perricone" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:22:43 -0700, "Desert Rainbow"


    <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    wrote:

    You don't just "slow cook pork for 11 hours". Pulling a large amount


    of

    Quoted message said:

    pork after it's been slow cooked is not zero effort. Putting the


    pork

    Quoted message said:

    together and preparing the dried/fresh peppers and the sauce you


    cook it is

    Quoted message said:

    is not zero effort. Mixing up the tamal with the pork lard to the


    right

    Quoted message said:

    consistency is not zero effort. And for someone who is new to the


    whole

    Quoted message said:

    process, making tamales is *a lot of effort*.

    Interesting that you reconstructed what I said in my posts here before
    you submitted your comments. Nowhere was there any mention from me
    of "zero effort," or cooking any sauce or using any lard either in
    describing how I prepared the tamales or in the recipe I quoted from
    Azteca/Gruma which I adapted.

    Maybe you presume to have been in my kitchen instead of me and to have
    done things quite differently than I did.

    Anyone with some level of culinary familiarity could easily determine
    that the *working times* which I mentioned in my prior posts are
    consistent with the quantity and the preparation that I described.

  18. Bob said:
    Jill said:

    There is a small restaurant not too terribly far from where I live
    where they make tamales which don't use a corn-based dough at all.
    It's more of a puffy floury thing but very moist dough, thick and
    filled with a lot of spicy shredded meat (pork, chicken or beef).
    It's not served in corn husks at all. I've never encountered this
    except at this one particular family owned place. They are
    delicious.

    According to a good friend of mine, Salvadoran tamales are white and
    are cooked in banana leaves rather than corn husks. But I *think* the
    dough is primarily made from white hominy, so it's still corn-based.


    That's entirely possible this is what these are but they are served without
    any sort of husk (leaves) on them. They spoon a thick red gravy on top.

    Quoted message said:

    Puffy is good. I wonder how they achieve that. Hm...come to think of
    it, what you describe sounds a lot like a Chinese bao (steamed bun).

    Bob

    Come to think of it, they look a little like bao except they are shaped like
    really large tamales 🙂

    Jill

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.