UK and Europe · Public discussion

Tandem riding is brill

Started by Garykerr4 · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,136 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
4 May 2003
Last activity
11 June 2003
Original author
Garykerr4
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,136
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have just made the investment of a tandem, for me and my 12 year old son. We have just completed
    our first ride of 30 miles at an average of 21 mph and that was out into a headwind. I am so pleased
    I made this investment as it should see me through until the 7 year old takes over. Anyone thinking
    of getting one, I would highly recomend it. Mine is a Cannondale RT1000 although second hand in very
    good condition with very little miles on the clock. I am now hoping to do a bit of proper touring
    with the lad this summer..........can't wait.

    Gary

  2. [email hidden] schreef ...

    Quoted message said:

    I have just made the investment of a tandem, for me and my 12 year old son. We have just completed
    our first ride of 30 miles at an average of 21 mph and that was out into a headwind.

    21 MILES per hour? Into a headwind? With a 12-year old in the back? I know people can be fit but
    this is quite a lot, I think!

    Quoted message said:

    I am so pleased I made this investment as it should see me through until the 7 year old takes
    over. Anyone thinking of getting one, I would highly recomend it. Mine is a Cannondale RT1000
    although second hand in very good condition with very little miles on the clock. I am now hoping
    to do a bit of proper touring with the lad this summer..........can't wait.

    Tandem riding is great isn't it? Welcome to the realm of the only bikes with the proper
    seat-to-wheel ratio ;-)

    --
    Regards, Marten www.tandemclub.nl

  3. "Marten Hoffmann" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] schreef ...

    Quoted message said:

    I have just made the investment of a tandem, for me and my 12 year old


    son.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    We have just completed our first ride of 30 miles at an average of 21


    mph

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and that was out into a headwind.

    21 MILES per hour? Into a headwind? With a 12-year old in the back? I know people can be fit but
    this is quite a lot, I think!

    Janet and I have a tandem - it sees little use at the moment but it is a good way for a non-cyclist
    partner to enjoy cycling.

    They can be fast. Janet and I took it to France in 2001 and stopped in a B&B. The man running the
    B&B asked for a go on the back. What a difference he made, we flew along - don't know the speed but
    it was significantly higher than Janet and I ever achieve.

    John

  4. 30 @ 21 into a headwind? Either the clock's wrong, or can I buy the 12 year old?

    --

    Martin Bulmer "Mixless Foot Persuasion"

    "garykerr4" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have just made the investment of a tandem, for me and my 12 year old


    son.

    Quoted message said:

    We have just completed our first ride of 30 miles at an average of 21 mph and that was out into a
    headwind. I am so pleased I made this investment as it should see me through until


    the

    Quoted message said:

    7 year old takes over. Anyone thinking of getting one, I would highly recomend it. Mine is a
    Cannondale RT1000 although second hand in very good condition


    with

    Quoted message said:

    very little miles on the clock. I am now hoping to do a bit of proper touring with the lad this
    summer..........can't wait.

    Gary

  5. [email hidden] schreef ...

    Quoted message said:


    "Marten Hoffmann" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] schreef ...

    Quoted message said:

    I have just made the investment of a tandem, for me and my 12 year old


    son.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    We have just completed our first ride of 30 miles at an average of 21


    mph

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and that was out into a headwind.

    21 MILES per hour? Into a headwind? With a 12-year old in the back? I know people can be fit but
    this is quite a lot, I think!

    Janet and I have a tandem - it sees little use at the moment but it is a good way for a
    non-cyclist partner to enjoy cycling.

    They can be fast. Janet and I took it to France in 2001 and stopped in a B&B. The man running the
    B&B asked for a go on the back. What a difference he made, we flew along - don't know the speed
    but it was significantly higher than Janet and I ever achieve.

    Sure, I know this - we ride tandems since 1990. But still: 21 MPH for 30 miles into a headwind with
    a 12-year old in the back? I'm deeply impressed.

    --
    Regards, Marten

  6. On Mon, 5 May 2003 18:23:12 +0100, contributor Eatmorepies had scribed:

    Quoted message said:

    Janet and I have a tandem - it sees little use at the moment but it is a good way for a
    non-cyclist partner to enjoy cycling.

    Is it for sale? If so what size and what type of frame? ;-)

    Gary (In the market for a secondhand tandem)

    --

    The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

    For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.