General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Tasteless apples - Doug K

Started by Nancy Young · · Last activity · 19 posts · 559 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 November 2005
Last activity
17 November 2005
Original author
Nancy Young
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
559
Views / 30 days
1

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I finally did it, I drove out to Wegmans, felt like taking a drive
    and picked up a few things while I was there.

    Shop shop shop, finally, where's the produce section already,
    it's in the middle of the store, unusual.

    Apples ... I'm so happy I had a pen with me, and I had a
    large piece of paper with my shopping list on it because I
    have never seen so many different apples in my life. Ever.

    Gala, McIntosh, Ginger Gold, Granny Smith, Winesap,
    Fortune, Cortland, 20 Quince, Honey Crisp, Braeburn,
    Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Fuji, Pink Lady, Sonya
    and Lady apples (those were real little).

    Whew, I finally bought a Pink Lady just so they didn't
    think I was a corporate spy or something. (smile) And,
    yes, most of the apples did have the Fowler sticker on
    them, though I didn't check each type.

    Whew.

    nancy

  2. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I finally did it, I drove out to Wegmans, felt like taking a drive
    and picked up a few things while I was there.

    Shop shop shop, finally, where's the produce section already,
    it's in the middle of the store, unusual.

    Apples ... I'm so happy I had a pen with me, and I had a
    large piece of paper with my shopping list on it because I
    have never seen so many different apples in my life. Ever.

    Gala, McIntosh, Ginger Gold, Granny Smith, Winesap,
    Fortune, Cortland, 20 Quince, Honey Crisp, Braeburn,
    Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Fuji, Pink Lady, Sonya
    and Lady apples (those were real little).

    Whew, I finally bought a Pink Lady just so they didn't
    think I was a corporate spy or something. (smile) And,
    yes, most of the apples did have the Fowler sticker on
    them, though I didn't check each type.

    Whew.

    nancy

    Some store, eh? But....you didn't buy any Cortlands??? Besides taste, they
    don't turn brown as fast as other apples after you slice them.

  3. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I finally did it, I drove out to Wegmans, felt like taking a drive
    and picked up a few things while I was there.

    Shop shop shop, finally, where's the produce section already,
    it's in the middle of the store, unusual.

    Apples ... I'm so happy I had a pen with me, and I had a
    large piece of paper with my shopping list on it because I
    have never seen so many different apples in my life. Ever.

    Gala, McIntosh, Ginger Gold, Granny Smith, Winesap,
    Fortune, Cortland, 20 Quince, Honey Crisp, Braeburn,
    Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Fuji, Pink Lady, Sonya
    and Lady apples (those were real little).

    Whew, I finally bought a Pink Lady just so they didn't
    think I was a corporate spy or something. (smile) And,
    yes, most of the apples did have the Fowler sticker on
    them, though I didn't check each type.

    Whew.

    nancy


    I went to Wegman's last week and bought at the recommendation of a fellow
    here on this ng, the Cortland apples. Thanks for recommending these. They
    were not only excellent, but the price was excellent -- $.99 a lb. Oh, the
    smell -- it was heaven.
    Dee Dee

  4. "Doug Kanter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I finally did it, I drove out to Wegmans, felt like taking a drive
    and picked up a few things while I was there.

    Shop shop shop, finally, where's the produce section already,
    it's in the middle of the store, unusual.

    Apples ... I'm so happy I had a pen with me, and I had a
    large piece of paper with my shopping list on it because I
    have never seen so many different apples in my life. Ever.

    Gala, McIntosh, Ginger Gold, Granny Smith, Winesap,
    Fortune, Cortland, 20 Quince, Honey Crisp, Braeburn,
    Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Fuji, Pink Lady, Sonya
    and Lady apples (those were real little).

    Whew, I finally bought a Pink Lady just so they didn't
    think I was a corporate spy or something. (smile) And,
    yes, most of the apples did have the Fowler sticker on
    them, though I didn't check each type.

    Whew.

    nancy

    Some store, eh? But....you didn't buy any Cortlands??? Besides taste,
    they don't turn brown as fast as other apples after you slice them.


    Oh, Doug, it must've been you that recommended them. Yes, you are right. I
    cut them into chunks along with some avocado in chunks on a side plate. I
    didn't put any lime/lemon juice on the apple, and they didn't turn color,
    but we did devour them right away.
    Thanks, Doug,
    Dee Dee

  5. "Doug Kanter" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Some store, eh? But....you didn't buy any Cortlands??? Besides taste,
    they don't turn brown as fast as other apples after you slice them.

    You're right, I should have reread the thread before I left, I'll
    get one next time. As it is I have 1 gala and 1 pink lady in the
    house now, that is a lot of apples for me.

    nancy

  6. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Doug Kanter" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Some store, eh? But....you didn't buy any Cortlands??? Besides taste,
    they don't turn brown as fast as other apples after you slice them.

    You're right, I should have reread the thread before I left, I'll
    get one next time. As it is I have 1 gala and 1 pink lady in the
    house now, that is a lot of apples for me.

    nancy

    Two apples is a lot??? How long will they last?

  7. "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I finally did it, I drove out to Wegmans, felt like taking a drive
    and picked up a few things while I was there.

    Shop shop shop, finally, where's the produce section already,
    it's in the middle of the store, unusual.

    Apples ... I'm so happy I had a pen with me, and I had a
    large piece of paper with my shopping list on it because I
    have never seen so many different apples in my life. Ever.

    Gala, McIntosh, Ginger Gold, Granny Smith, Winesap,
    Fortune, Cortland, 20 Quince, Honey Crisp, Braeburn,
    Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Fuji, Pink Lady, Sonya
    and Lady apples (those were real little).

    Whew, I finally bought a Pink Lady just so they didn't
    think I was a corporate spy or something. (smile) And,
    yes, most of the apples did have the Fowler sticker on
    them, though I didn't check each type.

    Whew.

    nancy


    I went to Wegman's last week and bought at the recommendation of a fellow
    here on this ng, the Cortland apples. Thanks for recommending these.
    They were not only excellent, but the price was excellent -- $.99 a lb.
    Oh, the smell -- it was heaven.
    Dee Dee

    Outrageous. Somebody listened to me this week. If I told my son the house
    was burning down and he should get outside, he'd say "Whatever". :-)

  8. "Doug Kanter" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You're right, I should have reread the thread before I left, I'll
    get one next time. As it is I have 1 gala and 1 pink lady in the
    house now, that is a lot of apples for me.

    Quoted message said:

    Two apples is a lot??? How long will they last?

    I told you I'm not big on apples ... but then who would be with
    the apples they sell in most stores? Too many mealy tasteless
    apples in my experience, so I just pass them by.

    How long will they last? Well, if I hadn't mentioned it here, a
    good couple weeks or more. What's that saying? Commitment
    is two people and a ham? To me it's two apples. (laugh)

    nancy

  9. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Doug Kanter" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You're right, I should have reread the thread before I left, I'll
    get one next time. As it is I have 1 gala and 1 pink lady in the
    house now, that is a lot of apples for me.

    Quoted message said:

    Two apples is a lot??? How long will they last?

    I told you I'm not big on apples ... but then who would be with
    the apples they sell in most stores? Too many mealy tasteless
    apples in my experience, so I just pass them by.

    How long will they last? Well, if I hadn't mentioned it here, a
    good couple weeks or more. What's that saying? Commitment
    is two people and a ham? To me it's two apples. (laugh)

    nancy

    I guess it's the same with lots of foods. I find most shrimp pretty
    tasteless, but here, it's always farm raised [censored], frozen and shipped from
    Southeast Asia. Get shrimp right from a boat in Florida and it's another
    story. Same with fish.

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dee Randall said:

    I went to Wegman's last week and bought at the recommendation of a fellow
    here on this ng, the Cortland apples. Thanks for recommending these. They
    were not only excellent, but the price was excellent -- $.99 a lb. Oh, the
    smell -- it was heaven.

    Yikes! $.99 a pound is expensive here. The prices have been high
    this year, around $.58/lb, normally we pay between $.29/39 a pound.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  11. "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dee Randall said:

    I went to Wegman's last week and bought at the recommendation of a fellow
    here on this ng, the Cortland apples. Thanks for recommending these.
    They
    were not only excellent, but the price was excellent -- $.99 a lb. Oh,
    the
    smell -- it was heaven.

    Yikes! $.99 a pound is expensive here. The prices have been high
    this year, around $.58/lb, normally we pay between $.29/39 a pound.

    Where is "here"?

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Doug Kanter said:

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dee Randall said:

    I went to Wegman's last week and bought at the recommendation of a fellow
    here on this ng, the Cortland apples. Thanks for recommending these.
    They
    were not only excellent, but the price was excellent -- $.99 a lb. Oh,
    the
    smell -- it was heaven.

    Yikes! $.99 a pound is expensive here. The prices have been high
    this year, around $.58/lb, normally we pay between $.29/39 a pound.

    Where is "here"?

    Washington State, semi rural area, suburban bedroom commuter town.
    It was the same in my Willamette Valley, college town, Oregon hometown,
    though it was several years ago, and it was more like 20-30 cents a
    pound then.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Doug Kanter said:

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dee Randall said:

    I went to Wegman's last week and bought at the recommendation of a fellow
    here on this ng, the Cortland apples. Thanks for recommending these.
    They
    were not only excellent, but the price was excellent -- $.99 a lb. Oh,
    the
    smell -- it was heaven.

    Yikes! $.99 a pound is expensive here. The prices have been high
    this year, around $.58/lb, normally we pay between $.29/39 a pound.

    Where is "here"?

    Washington State, semi rural area, suburban bedroom commuter town.
    It was the same in my Willamette Valley, college town, Oregon hometown,
    though it was several years ago, and it was more like 20-30 cents a
    pound then.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  14. "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Doug Kanter said:

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > I went to Wegman's last week and bought at the recommendation of a
    > fellow
    > here on this ng, the Cortland apples. Thanks for recommending these.
    > They
    > were not only excellent, but the price was excellent -- $.99 a lb.
    > Oh,
    > the
    > smell -- it was heaven.

    Yikes! $.99 a pound is expensive here. The prices have been high
    this year, around $.58/lb, normally we pay between $.29/39 a pound.

    Where is "here"?

    Washington State, semi rural area, suburban bedroom commuter town.
    It was the same in my Willamette Valley, college town, Oregon hometown,
    though it was several years ago, and it was more like 20-30 cents a
    pound then.

    Does it vary with the type of apple? Around here (Rochester NY), varieties
    like Red Delicious are cheaper because compared to others like Empire,
    Cortland, etc., they've considered a step above cattle food.

  15. "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Doug Kanter said:

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > I went to Wegman's last week and bought at the recommendation of a
    > fellow
    > here on this ng, the Cortland apples. Thanks for recommending these.
    > They
    > were not only excellent, but the price was excellent -- $.99 a lb.
    > Oh,
    > the
    > smell -- it was heaven.

    Yikes! $.99 a pound is expensive here. The prices have been high
    this year, around $.58/lb, normally we pay between $.29/39 a pound.

    Where is "here"?

    Washington State, semi rural area, suburban bedroom commuter town.
    It was the same in my Willamette Valley, college town, Oregon hometown,
    though it was several years ago, and it was more like 20-30 cents a
    pound then.

    Does it vary with the type of apple? Around here (Rochester NY), varieties
    like Red Delicious are cheaper because compared to others like Empire,
    Cortland, etc., they've considered a step above cattle food.

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Doug Kanter said:

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Doug Kanter said:

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Yikes! $.99 a pound is expensive here. The prices have been high
    > this year, around $.58/lb, normally we pay between $.29/39 a pound.

    Where is "here"?

    Washington State, semi rural area, suburban bedroom commuter town.
    It was the same in my Willamette Valley, college town, Oregon hometown,
    though it was several years ago, and it was more like 20-30 cents a
    pound then.

    Does it vary with the type of apple? Around here (Rochester NY), varieties
    like Red Delicious are cheaper because compared to others like Empire,
    Cortland, etc., they've considered a step above cattle food.

    Oddly enough, it seems to me that the red delicious and their ilk are
    often more expensive. I know someone is buying them, but I don't know
    who they are.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Doug Kanter said:

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Doug Kanter said:

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Yikes! $.99 a pound is expensive here. The prices have been high
    > this year, around $.58/lb, normally we pay between $.29/39 a pound.

    Where is "here"?

    Washington State, semi rural area, suburban bedroom commuter town.
    It was the same in my Willamette Valley, college town, Oregon hometown,
    though it was several years ago, and it was more like 20-30 cents a
    pound then.

    Does it vary with the type of apple? Around here (Rochester NY), varieties
    like Red Delicious are cheaper because compared to others like Empire,
    Cortland, etc., they've considered a step above cattle food.

    Oddly enough, it seems to me that the red delicious and their ilk are
    often more expensive. I know someone is buying them, but I don't know
    who they are.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  18. "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Doug Kanter said:

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Doug Kanter" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > Yikes! $.99 a pound is expensive here. The prices have been high
    > > this year, around $.58/lb, normally we pay between $.29/39 a pound.
    >
    > Where is "here"?

    Washington State, semi rural area, suburban bedroom commuter town.
    It was the same in my Willamette Valley, college town, Oregon hometown,
    though it was several years ago, and it was more like 20-30 cents a
    pound then.

    Does it vary with the type of apple? Around here (Rochester NY),
    varieties
    like Red Delicious are cheaper because compared to others like Empire,
    Cortland, etc., they've considered a step above cattle food.

    Oddly enough, it seems to me that the red delicious and their ilk are
    often more expensive. I know someone is buying them, but I don't know
    who they are.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Florists seem to love them for fruit baskets. They have a thick skin, so
    they can take a bit more of a beating than some other apples.

  19. "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Doug Kanter said:

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Doug Kanter" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > "Ranee Mueller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > Yikes! $.99 a pound is expensive here. The prices have been high
    > > this year, around $.58/lb, normally we pay between $.29/39 a pound.
    >
    > Where is "here"?

    Washington State, semi rural area, suburban bedroom commuter town.
    It was the same in my Willamette Valley, college town, Oregon hometown,
    though it was several years ago, and it was more like 20-30 cents a
    pound then.

    Does it vary with the type of apple? Around here (Rochester NY),
    varieties
    like Red Delicious are cheaper because compared to others like Empire,
    Cortland, etc., they've considered a step above cattle food.

    Oddly enough, it seems to me that the red delicious and their ilk are
    often more expensive. I know someone is buying them, but I don't know
    who they are.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Florists seem to love them for fruit baskets. They have a thick skin, so
    they can take a bit more of a beating than some other apples.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.