Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Taxi (the movie)

Started by Tamyka Bell · · Last activity · 14 posts · 972 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
13 November 2004
Last activity
5 December 2004
Original author
Tamyka Bell
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
972
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I saw Taxi today. I didn't really have any expectations going in and it
    got a few laughs. What impressed me was (1) the crazy cycle messenger
    start scene and (2) crazy cycle messengers later in the film looking
    cool. I haven't seen many mainstream Hollywood movies featuring special
    cycle appearances before, you know? Just crappy ones like City of Angels
    where she dies by riding a bike without a helmet, and then doesn't look
    where she's going and rides straight into a logging truck.

    T

    I actually read over this post before posting it and have decided that I
    should explain "crazy" is a good thing.

  2. "Tamyka Bell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I saw Taxi today. I didn't really have any expectations going in and it
    got a few laughs. What impressed me was (1) the crazy cycle messenger
    start scene and (2) crazy cycle messengers later in the film looking
    cool. I haven't seen many mainstream Hollywood movies featuring special
    cycle appearances before, you know? Just crappy ones like City of Angels
    where she dies by riding a bike without a helmet, and then doesn't look
    where she's going and rides straight into a logging truck.

    I've not seen it but this movie was bagged quite
    heavily on a messenger board :-)
    It's the one where a courier somehow manages
    to afford to supercharge a taxi or sumfink right?

    hippy at work (please kill me!)

  3. hippy said:


    "Tamyka Bell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I saw Taxi today. I didn't really have any expectations going in and it
    got a few laughs. What impressed me was (1) the crazy cycle messenger
    start scene and (2) crazy cycle messengers later in the film looking
    cool. I haven't seen many mainstream Hollywood movies featuring special
    cycle appearances before, you know? Just crappy ones like City of Angels
    where she dies by riding a bike without a helmet, and then doesn't look
    where she's going and rides straight into a logging truck.

    I've not seen it but this movie was bagged quite
    heavily on a messenger board :-)
    It's the one where a courier somehow manages
    to afford to supercharge a taxi or sumfink right?

    Well, yeah... but the story is she bought the car and had been working
    on it for five years, and as her departure and "congrats on your taxi
    licence" gift from the courier company (as the only female and the
    fastest team member), they all chip in and buy her a supercharger. So
    they managed quite nicely to get around the "barely can afford to buy
    bread and baked beans" aspect.

    Oh why am I still here? Time for sleep, start again at 4 am or so.

  4. "Tamyka Bell" <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've not seen it but this movie was bagged quite
    heavily on a messenger board :-)
    It's the one where a courier somehow manages
    to afford to supercharge a taxi or sumfink right?

    Well, yeah... but the story is she bought the car and had been working
    on it for five years, and as her departure and "congrats on your taxi
    licence" gift from the courier company (as the only female and the
    fastest team member), they all chip in and buy her a supercharger. So
    they managed quite nicely to get around the "barely can afford to buy
    bread and baked beans" aspect.

    I'm reading "Nerves of Steel" a book about messengers in
    the US written by Rebecca "Lambchop" Riley(sp?)..
    A company buying a supercharger for a rider sounds even
    less likely than them buying it themselves! :-)
    From what I gather, taxi's are the devil if you're on a bike,
    so it's hard to believe she would start driving taxis after
    messing..

    Quoted message said:

    Oh why am I still here? Time for sleep, start again at 4 am or so.

    You like mindless conversation about whether or not couriers
    can afford superchargers for their new taxis? ;-)

    hippy

  5. hippy said:

    I'm reading "Nerves of Steel" a book about messengers in
    the US written by Rebecca "Lambchop" Riley(sp?)..

    A cycling video/dvd in a similar vein is the French/Canadian "2 seconds" -
    after watching it you will never ever contemplate borrowing a bidon from a
    courier.

    Wonderful scene with the ex roadie domestique now a crusty old bike shop
    proprietor arguing with the heroine (an ex hot shot downhill racer) about
    who suffered more for their sport - while they demolish a bottle of scotch
    and form a friendship preserved in ethanol.

    Just the sort of movie that SBS should screen while we are all waiting for a
    live cross to the tdf - a review is at -

    http://www.canoe.ca/JamMoviesCanadianT/two.html

    best, Andrew

  6. "Andrew Price" <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    hippy said:

    I'm reading "Nerves of Steel" a book about messengers in
    the US written by Rebecca "Lambchop" Riley(sp?)..

    A cycling video/dvd in a similar vein is the French/Canadian "2 seconds" -
    after watching it you will never ever contemplate borrowing a bidon from a
    courier.

    I'm turning into a bit of a collector as far as cycling
    books and movies go.. I've got this one as well. I
    haven't watched it yet though.. soon my pretties..

    hippy


  7. Quoted message said:

    I've not seen it but this movie was bagged quite
    heavily on a messenger board :-)

    The original (French) version had the main character delivering pizzas
    on a motorbike before getting his taxi. Was playing on SBS a few months ago.

    I was a little incredulous that Queen Latifah would actually be able to
    ride a bike like that ... she's a big woman and cycle messengers tend to
    be a little fitter than that. Other than that, it was a pretty good remake.

  8. Isaac Roberts said:


    Quoted message said:

    I've not seen it but this movie was bagged quite
    heavily on a messenger board :-)

    The original (French) version had the main character delivering pizzas
    on a motorbike before getting his taxi. Was playing on SBS a few months ago.

    I was a little incredulous that Queen Latifah would actually be able to
    ride a bike like that ... she's a big woman and cycle messengers tend to
    be a little fitter than that. Other than that, it was a pretty good remake.


    i really enjoyed the original french version, and the follow up, but i havent seen taxi 3 yet.

    does anyone remember an old tv series that used to be on the ABC (i think) that was centred around a courier company in london?

  9. "byron27" <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    does anyone remember an old tv series that used to be on the ABC (i
    think) that was centred around a courier company in london?

    I LOVED that show!! I have absolutely no idea
    what it was called but I vaguely remember the first
    episode where there was a race between the
    couriers.. maybe a motorbike vs. bicycle?

    Got any more info on it?

    hippy

  10. hippy said:

    "byron27" <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    does anyone remember an old tv series that used to be on the ABC (i
    think) that was centred around a courier company in london?

    I LOVED that show!! I have absolutely no idea
    what it was called but I vaguely remember the first
    episode where there was a race between the
    couriers.. maybe a motorbike vs. bicycle?

    Got any more info on it?

    hippy


    nah, i only remember watching it after school and then a few years ago they had it on early in the morning for a while.

    there might be something on it at www.messengers.org

  11. "byron27" <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    hippy said:

    "byron27" <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    does anyone remember an old tv series that used to be on the ABC (i
    think) that was centred around a courier company in london?

    I LOVED that show!! I have absolutely no idea
    what it was called but I vaguely remember the first
    episode where there was a race between the
    couriers.. maybe a motorbike vs. bicycle?

    Got any more info on it?


    nah, i only remember watching it after school and then a few years ago
    they had it on early in the morning for a while.

    there might be something on it at 'www.messengers.org'
    (http://www.messengers.org)

    I've been googling.. so far.. zip-a-rama-didly-squat-nil-nada

    hipppppppppy
    p'ing freely ;-)

  12. byron27 said:

    does anyone remember an old tv series that used to be on the ABC (i think) that was centred around a courier company in london?

    No but i do remember (wipes away saliva...) Jessica Alba and her black 'dale woring in a courier Co based in 'post-pulse' US-somewhere. 'Angel' i think. whocares? Jess and bikes, that's me happy! oops, here comes the wif...

  13. "flyingdutch" <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    byron27 said:

    does anyone remember an old tv series that used to be on the ABC (i
    think) that was centred around a courier company in london?

    No but i do remember (wipes away saliva...) Jessica Alba and her black
    'dale woring in a courier Co based in 'post-pulse' US-somewhere.
    'Angel' i think. whocares? Jess and bikes, that's me happy! oops, here
    comes the wif...

    Dark Angel
    http://mountainbike.about.com/library/weekly/aa022001a.htm

    Why didn't anyone tell me there was a show on with
    a hottie riding bikes? Geez guys.. step it up a bit! ;-)

    hippy

  14. "byron27" <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    hippy said:

    "byron27" <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    does anyone remember an old tv series that used to be on the ABC (i
    think) that was centred around a courier company in london?

    I LOVED that show!! I have absolutely no idea
    what it was called but I vaguely remember the first
    episode where there was a race between the
    couriers.. maybe a motorbike vs. bicycle?

    Got any more info on it?

    hippy


    nah, i only remember watching it after school and then a few years ago
    they had it on early in the morning for a while.

    there might be something on it at 'www.messengers.org'
    (http://www.messengers.org)

    Finally.. I can put this thread to rest..

    The show was called "Streetwise":
    http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=158

    hippy
    "now to find a copy.. "

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.