TE for sale drew strange request. Scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received this email from what appears to be yet another scammer:

I'm interested in purchasing the 2001 Vision R54. Low miles you intend to sell and I'll like to know
the last price and also the method of payment. Looking forward hear from you.

Best regards,

Thomas.

I told him my asking price is 25,000 dollars for my 2001 R54.

the guy fell for it. I guess they don't even bother to check stuff out. I would have loved to pay
you in cash.But since my Agent in the United States who owes me money said he will issue you a
cashier's check tagged the total amount of money he owes me($33,800).

Don't bother about the shipping.My private shipper would be handling that on my behalf,All you need
do is to cash the check after you recieve it.Deduct the amount of the 2001 Vision R54 and I hope I
can then trust you to send the balance to my shipper.

If this suites you please send the details

Full Name.............

Contact Address...........

Phone #................

In order to have the check sent immediately.

Best Regards.

Thomas.

"Bill Wiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I received this email from what appears to be yet another scammer:
>
> I'm interested in purchasing the 2001 Vision R54. Low miles you intend to sell and I'll like to
> know the last price and also the method of payment. Looking forward hear from you.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas.
>
> I told him my asking price is 25,000 dollars for my 2001 R54.

I was told by another person who got a similar offer(he checked with police who told him how the
scam works).The "buyer" offers your a "certified" check from another party that owes "buyer" money.
More money then you are asking for your bike. The check is printed on a PC and is good enough that
your bank cashes it. You ship you bike, Western union the extra money. Several days later your bank
wants their money back or you face fraud charges.

[email protected] (avgrin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> B"H I placed ads on www.Recumbent.com and www.bike-route.com to sell my Tour Easy and got offers
> from two people that look strange and, most likely, scams.
>
> 1) From: [email protected]] HELLO, AM SAW YOUR ADVERT ON THE INTERNET AND AM INTERESTED IN
> BUYING IT FROM YOU TO RESELL, SO PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF IT IS STILL AVAILABLE FOR SALE AND THE
> LEAST PRICE YOU WILL BE GIVING IT TO ME. THANKS AND AWAIT YOUR REPLY ASAP FOR PAYMENT
> CONCLUSION.
>
> MARK.
>
> 2) From: nill peter [mailto:[email protected]] dear sir, i am an auto agent in west-africa.i will
> like to know how much you are willing to sell this Tour Easy I'm highly intrested in buying
> it.I would like to know your last offer on this Tour Easy and what is present condition.
> Regards.
>
> (asking price in the ad is $1200)
>
> THANKS FOR YOUR MAIL, I WILL BE MAKING AN OFFER OF $1,300 FOR THE TOUR EASY BUT I WILL LIKE YOU TO
> DO ME A FAVOUR I WILL BE TELLING MY CLIENT IN THE STATES THAT THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF WHAT I AM BUYING
> IS $6,450 AND HE WILL BE ISSUE A CHECK OF $6,450 ON YOUR NAME I JUST WANT YOU TO HELP ME IN
> SENDING THE REMAINING BALANCE THROUGH WESTERN MONEY GRAM AFTER IT MIGHT HAVE CLEAR IN YOUR BANK IF
> YOU HAVE AGREED TO DO SO YOU CAN SEND ME YOUR NAME ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER IN OTHER FOR A QUICK
> TRANSACTION.
>
> Has anyone had similar experience? What do you think?
>
> Thanks, Victor

Bill Wiley wrote:
> the guy fell for it. I guess they don't even bother to check stuff out. I would have loved to pay
> you in cash.But since my Agent in the United States who owes me money said he will issue you a
> cashier's check tagged the total amount of money he owes me($33,800).

He fell for nothing. You are about to be the sucker if you do business with him. It is dangerous to
even respond to these people.

> Don't bother about the shipping.My private shipper would be handling that on my behalf,All you
> need do is to cash the check after you recieve it.Deduct the amount of the 2001 Vision R54 and I
> hope I can then trust you to send the balance to my shipper.
>
> If this suites you please send the details
>
> Full Name.............
>
> Contact Address...........
>
> Phone #................
>
> In order to have the check sent immediately.
>
> Best Regards.
>
> Thomas.
>
> "Bill Wiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>I received this email from what appears to be yet another scammer:
>>
>>I'm interested in purchasing the 2001 Vision R54. Low miles you intend to sell and I'll like to
>>know the last price and also the method of payment. Looking forward hear from you.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>
>>Thomas.
>>
>>I told him my asking price is 25,000 dollars for my 2001 R54.
>>
>>
>

The people running the scams are using a search engine for "tour*", years (usually found in motor vehicle ads), etc. They don't need to read the ads or even understand them, they probably just "copy" and "paste" the pertinent terms into their own "form letter".

OBTW, I have even gotten these "offers" through singles sites. When I get them, I notify the appropriate customer service and they shut down the account.

Status
Not open for further replies.