Team Discovery, is this their last year?

Unfortunately,

Discovery had dropped them for the next year. I believe the doping scandals
have had something to do with it.

Doug

djrocker257 said:
Discovery had dropped them for the next year. I believe the doping scandals
have had something to do with it.
In Discovery's case it was money issues. There was a reorg at the corp's top and they don't want to spend money on a cycling team anymore.

Doping had nothing to do with it. Team Disco has been extremely resistant to any of the reforms against doping, right up to the point of breaking an agreement between teams and hiring Basso and others connected wit Operation Puerto.

Id like to see USPS come back to cycling. Maybe Lance would step in and take lead? not on a bike but manager or something of the sort. That would be simply awesome...doubt it will happen.

Maybe a nice american company, ummm chevy? hahhaa

mongooseboy said:
Id like to see USPS come back to cycling. Maybe Lance would step in and take lead? not on a bike but manager or something of the sort. That would be simply awesome...doubt it will happen.

Maybe a nice american company, ummm chevy? hahhaa

You do know that Lance is part owner of the team and still has a large part in the decisions made don't you.....

Who the sponsor(s) of any pro team is, is bound to change from time to time, but the teams usually stay around. They are of course changeable - riders move around -usually the most stable part of the team is the directeur sportif.

Just look at all of the teams that have changed major sponsors in the last few years Saeco=Lampre, Davitamon-Lotto = Predictor Lotto, USPS=Discovery, Fassa Bortalo=Milram, just to name a few...

JTE83 said:
When Discovery is gone I wonder which team will ride Trek!
Hopefully none. Cervelo and Specialized are supporting TdF broadcasting in the U.S. by buying ads on Versus. Where's Trek?

I predict a large sponsor from China will appear. Having Contador win the tour won't hurt either.

tinear10 said:
I predict a large sponsor from China will appear. Having Contador win the tour won't hurt either.
I was gonna say, regardless of whether this is Discovery's last year, I bet this is Leipheimer's last year.

Or, the way things are going, 2006 was Leipheimer's last year.

Ah reckon.....next year they'll be fixin Harley Davidson and Anheuser Busch for the TdF2008. All riders shall wear Mullets and ride Schwinn bikes. Y'all hear??

Induray said:
Ah reckon.....next year they'll be fixin Harley Davidson and Anheuser Busch for the TdF2008. All riders shall wear Mullets and ride Schwinn bikes. Y'all hear??

Hey, I resent that..

cycling004.jpg

I heard they were dropped because of all the negative press around the drug scandal, suuuucks, although that would give a bad name to the sport