Road Cycling · Public discussion

Tender Knee - is it knee bursitis?

Started by ChronoFish · · Last activity · 7 posts · 565 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
12 May 2004
Last activity
13 May 2004
Original author
ChronoFish
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
565
Views / 30 days
12

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    Last year in my "off season" I was playing some "touch" football and landed on
    my left knee - which hurt quite a bit. This was at the beginning of December.
    The pain continued as a dull ache - especially when ascending stairs -
    immediately above the knee.

    It slowly recovered to just hurting on stairs - especially if my joints were
    cold. I began to lift and stretch and found that it helped in the recovery.

    Fast forward to today, and I have put in a very healthy four months of base
    training, but I am now starting to feel the dull ache again. It is very limited
    to a 1 inch by 1/2 inch strip just above the knee. Putting pressure on that
    area feels good.

    It does not hurt at all while I run. Even if I do hills. But the pain
    intensifies once I stop running. I don't really notice any swelling, but my
    knees do turn a little red after running.

    On the bike I am aware of it, and it hurts if I have to push a heavy gear (when
    the terrain forces me to drop below 80rpm - I normally push around 95). This is
    really the only place I feel that it limits me - biking on the hills.

    I do feel it as I sit here at the computer - even with my legs stretched out.
    And of course on the stairs.

    Any thoughts?

    -CF

  2. I am sure you will get some answers here, but it is your knee. Knees are
    many peoples worst fear and I am grateful I have not had many problems yet.
    I suggest you see a specialist about it. There is no sense in messing
    around.

    Curt

    "ChronoFish" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:6uvoc.22856$%o1.8345@lakeread03...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    Last year in my "off season" I was playing some "touch" football and


    landed on

    Quoted message said:

    my left knee - which hurt quite a bit. This was at the beginning of


    December.

    Quoted message said:

    The pain continued as a dull ache - especially when ascending stairs -
    immediately above the knee.

    It slowly recovered to just hurting on stairs - especially if my joints


    were

    Quoted message said:

    cold. I began to lift and stretch and found that it helped in the


    recovery.

    Quoted message said:


    Fast forward to today, and I have put in a very healthy four months of


    base

    Quoted message said:

    training, but I am now starting to feel the dull ache again. It is very


    limited

    Quoted message said:

    to a 1 inch by 1/2 inch strip just above the knee. Putting pressure on


    that

    Quoted message said:

    area feels good.

    It does not hurt at all while I run. Even if I do hills. But the pain
    intensifies once I stop running. I don't really notice any swelling, but


    my

    Quoted message said:

    knees do turn a little red after running.

    On the bike I am aware of it, and it hurts if I have to push a heavy gear


    (when

    Quoted message said:

    the terrain forces me to drop below 80rpm - I normally push around 95).


    This is

    Quoted message said:

    really the only place I feel that it limits me - biking on the hills.

    I do feel it as I sit here at the computer - even with my legs stretched


    out.

    Quoted message said:

    And of course on the stairs.

    Any thoughts?

    -CF

  3. I agree with curt, I had knee surgury a year ago and it is not the same, go
    see a Ortho. Dr.
    jon
    "curt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am sure you will get some answers here, but it is your knee. Knees are
    many peoples worst fear and I am grateful I have not had many problems


    yet.

    Quoted message said:

    I suggest you see a specialist about it. There is no sense in messing
    around.

    Curt

    "ChronoFish" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:6uvoc.22856$%o1.8345@lakeread03...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    Last year in my "off season" I was playing some "touch" football and


    landed on

    Quoted message said:

    my left knee - which hurt quite a bit. This was at the beginning of


    December.

    Quoted message said:

    The pain continued as a dull ache - especially when ascending stairs -
    immediately above the knee.

    It slowly recovered to just hurting on stairs - especially if my joints


    were

    Quoted message said:

    cold. I began to lift and stretch and found that it helped in the


    recovery.

    Quoted message said:


    Fast forward to today, and I have put in a very healthy four months of


    base

    Quoted message said:

    training, but I am now starting to feel the dull ache again. It is very


    limited

    Quoted message said:

    to a 1 inch by 1/2 inch strip just above the knee. Putting pressure on


    that

    Quoted message said:

    area feels good.

    It does not hurt at all while I run. Even if I do hills. But the pain
    intensifies once I stop running. I don't really notice any swelling,


    but

    Quoted message said:

    my

    Quoted message said:

    knees do turn a little red after running.

    On the bike I am aware of it, and it hurts if I have to push a heavy


    gear

    Quoted message said:

    (when

    Quoted message said:

    the terrain forces me to drop below 80rpm - I normally push around 95).


    This is

    Quoted message said:

    really the only place I feel that it limits me - biking on the hills.

    I do feel it as I sit here at the computer - even with my legs stretched


    out.

    Quoted message said:

    And of course on the stairs.

    Any thoughts?

    -CF

  4. Yes, go to see a doctor. However it doesn't sound like bursitis.

    IM

    "3g1b" <[email hidden]> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news:[email hidden] ¤¤¼¶¼g...

    Quoted message said:

    I agree with curt, I had knee surgury a year ago and it is not the same,


    go

    Quoted message said:

    see a Ortho. Dr.
    jon
    "curt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am sure you will get some answers here, but it is your knee. Knees


    are

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    many peoples worst fear and I am grateful I have not had many problems


    yet.

    Quoted message said:

    I suggest you see a specialist about it. There is no sense in messing
    around.

    Curt

    "ChronoFish" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:6uvoc.22856$%o1.8345@lakeread03...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    Last year in my "off season" I was playing some "touch" football and


    landed on

    Quoted message said:

    my left knee - which hurt quite a bit. This was at the beginning of


    December.

    Quoted message said:

    The pain continued as a dull ache - especially when ascending stairs -
    immediately above the knee.

    It slowly recovered to just hurting on stairs - especially if my


    joints

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    were

    Quoted message said:

    cold. I began to lift and stretch and found that it helped in the


    recovery.

    Quoted message said:


    Fast forward to today, and I have put in a very healthy four months of


    base

    Quoted message said:

    training, but I am now starting to feel the dull ache again. It is


    very

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    limited

    Quoted message said:

    to a 1 inch by 1/2 inch strip just above the knee. Putting pressure


    on

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that

    Quoted message said:

    area feels good.

    It does not hurt at all while I run. Even if I do hills. But the pain
    intensifies once I stop running. I don't really notice any swelling,


    but

    Quoted message said:

    my

    Quoted message said:

    knees do turn a little red after running.

    On the bike I am aware of it, and it hurts if I have to push a heavy


    gear

    Quoted message said:

    (when

    Quoted message said:

    the terrain forces me to drop below 80rpm - I normally push around


    95).

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is

    Quoted message said:

    really the only place I feel that it limits me - biking on the hills.

    I do feel it as I sit here at the computer - even with my legs


    stretched

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    out.

    Quoted message said:

    And of course on the stairs.

    Any thoughts?

    -CF

  5. "Ironman" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, go to see a doctor. However it doesn't sound like bursitis.

    try googling with "housemaid's knee" (incl. spelling variancies coz I'm
    Dutch and it could be spelt otherwise).
    it may be.... a housemaid's knee and in that case it will slowly go away.

    Bert L.am

    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  6. "ChronoFish" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<6uvoc.22856$%o1.8345@lakeread03>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    Last year in my "off season" I was playing some "touch" football and landed on
    my left knee - which hurt quite a bit. This was at the beginning of December.
    The pain continued as a dull ache - especially when ascending stairs -
    immediately above the knee.

    It slowly recovered to just hurting on stairs - especially if my joints were
    cold. I began to lift and stretch and found that it helped in the recovery.
    Fast forward to today, and I have put in a very healthy four months of base
    training, but I am now starting to feel the dull ache again. It is very limited
    to a 1 inch by 1/2 inch strip just above the knee. Putting pressure on that
    area feels good.

    I agree with the doctor advice. If it's preventing you from training,
    go get it checked out by someone who really knows what the hell is
    going on.

    I'm not sure if what happened to me is the same injury as yours or
    not. I was playing ultimate and got knocked off my feet. I landed
    hard on my right knee. For a while afterwards, I felt dull pain *but*
    mine felt like it was directly underneath my patella. Like a
    patella-sized painful bruise under the bone.

    I also had no pain while running but my knee would just ache / be
    stiff afterwards. Also had problems with the bike. Somehow biking
    seemed to pull my knee cap back on to the bruise.

    However...If I pushed directly above or below the cap the pain went
    away, *but* if I rested directly on it, the pain intensified.

    Over about a year time the pain faded. It was like a big bruise
    fading except I couldn't see the bruise and it took longer to heal...

    ~b

    Quoted message said:

    It does not hurt at all while I run. Even if I do hills. But the pain
    intensifies once I stop running. I don't really notice any swelling, but my
    knees do turn a little red after running.

    On the bike I am aware of it, and it hurts if I have to push a heavy gear (when
    the terrain forces me to drop below 80rpm - I normally push around 95). This is
    really the only place I feel that it limits me - biking on the hills.

    I do feel it as I sit here at the computer - even with my legs stretched out.
    And of course on the stairs.

    Any thoughts?

    -CF

  7. The current issue of Runners World has a nice little diagnostic chart
    dividing knee problems into four categories. Yours sound like type A.
    They do have some therapy suggestions.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.