Tendonitis

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by tim, Apr 12, 2005.

  1. tim

    tim Guest

    I got a dose of 'golfers elbow', tendonitis it my right forearm. I basically
    cannot do dumbell curls with that arm, but can still bench press, overhead
    press, plus most other stuff in my routine. Just wondering if anyone else
    has had this and, if so, what they did to get over it (ie train round it,
    leave off the training altogether, whatever?) Can put up with the discomfort
    so long as I know it ain't making it worse, and therefore making the
    recovery longer rather than shorter!
    TIA
    tim

    Tags:

  2. Peter Allen

    Peter Allen Guest

    "tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I got a dose of 'golfers elbow', tendonitis it my right forearm. I
    >basically cannot do dumbell curls with that arm, but can still bench press,
    >overhead press, plus most other stuff in my routine. Just wondering if
    >anyone else has had this and, if so, what they did to get over it (ie train
    >round it, leave off the training altogether, whatever?) Can put up with the
    >discomfort so long as I know it ain't making it worse, and therefore making
    >the recovery longer rather than shorter!

    With tendonitis, discomfort always means it's getting worse. Rest, ice,
    ibuprofen, find exercises that don't cause any discomfort or stay out of the
    gym.

    Peter

  3. Dr_Dickie

    Dr_Dickie Guest

    You sure you got golfer (medial epicondylitis) and not tennis (lateral
    epicondylitis). Is the pain on the inside (medial area) of the elbow or on
    top (lateral) portion.
    When I had lateral I could bench press and overhead press. When I got
    medial, no dice on either of those.
    Regardless of which, the bad news. This takes about 1-2 years to go away
    completely, and even then, it doesn't go away completely. However, if you
    rest it and start doing some stretching and specific lifting exercises you
    can manage it. Also, try to identify what caused it in the first place and
    QUIT doing that.
    I found that for my media and lateral, these exercises were the best:
    http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/tennis_elbow/
    I made the one item (he is using a plumbers wrench) out of a dumbbell handle
    with weight at the very end of one end and duct tape on the other (for
    comfort in gripping). These exercises worked wonders for me YMMV.
    Good luck

    --
    Dr. Dickie
    Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

    "tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I got a dose of 'golfers elbow', tendonitis it my right forearm. I

    basically
    > cannot do dumbell curls with that arm, but can still bench press, overhead
    > press, plus most other stuff in my routine. Just wondering if anyone else
    > has had this and, if so, what they did to get over it (ie train round it,
    > leave off the training altogether, whatever?) Can put up with the

    discomfort
    > so long as I know it ain't making it worse, and therefore making the
    > recovery longer rather than shorter!
    > TIA
    > tim

  4. tim

    tim Guest

    > You sure you got golfer (medial epicondylitis) and not tennis (lateral
    > epicondylitis). Is the pain on the inside (medial area) of the elbow or on
    > top (lateral) portion.

    Yea, def golfers (had tennis before!)
    Thks for the link; I'll try some of those exercises, but will continue to
    use the weights and just try and avoid the exercises that hurt! :eek:)
    tim