Tendonitis

tim

Guest
I got a dose of 'golfers elbow', tendonitis it my right forearm. I basically
cannot do dumbell curls with that arm, but can still bench press, overhead
press, plus most other stuff in my routine. Just wondering if anyone else
has had this and, if so, what they did to get over it (ie train round it,
leave off the training altogether, whatever?) Can put up with the discomfort
so long as I know it ain't making it worse, and therefore making the
recovery longer rather than shorter!
TIA
tim

"tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I got a dose of 'golfers elbow', tendonitis it my right forearm. I
>basically cannot do dumbell curls with that arm, but can still bench press,
>overhead press, plus most other stuff in my routine. Just wondering if
>anyone else has had this and, if so, what they did to get over it (ie train
>round it, leave off the training altogether, whatever?) Can put up with the
>discomfort so long as I know it ain't making it worse, and therefore making
>the recovery longer rather than shorter!

With tendonitis, discomfort always means it's getting worse. Rest, ice,
ibuprofen, find exercises that don't cause any discomfort or stay out of the
gym.

Peter

You sure you got golfer (medial epicondylitis) and not tennis (lateral
epicondylitis). Is the pain on the inside (medial area) of the elbow or on
top (lateral) portion.
When I had lateral I could bench press and overhead press. When I got
medial, no dice on either of those.
Regardless of which, the bad news. This takes about 1-2 years to go away
completely, and even then, it doesn't go away completely. However, if you
rest it and start doing some stretching and specific lifting exercises you
can manage it. Also, try to identify what caused it in the first place and
QUIT doing that.
I found that for my media and lateral, these exercises were the best:
http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/tennis_elbow/
I made the one item (he is using a plumbers wrench) out of a dumbbell handle
with weight at the very end of one end and duct tape on the other (for
comfort in gripping). These exercises worked wonders for me YMMV.
Good luck

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

"tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I got a dose of 'golfers elbow', tendonitis it my right forearm. I

basically
> cannot do dumbell curls with that arm, but can still bench press, overhead
> press, plus most other stuff in my routine. Just wondering if anyone else
> has had this and, if so, what they did to get over it (ie train round it,
> leave off the training altogether, whatever?) Can put up with the

discomfort
> so long as I know it ain't making it worse, and therefore making the
> recovery longer rather than shorter!
> TIA
> tim
>

> You sure you got golfer (medial epicondylitis) and not tennis (lateral
> epicondylitis). Is the pain on the inside (medial area) of the elbow or on
> top (lateral) portion.

Yea, def golfers (had tennis before!)
Thks for the link; I'll try some of those exercises, but will continue to
use the weights and just try and avoid the exercises that hurt! :eek:)
tim