Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Test Riding A New Bike

Started by Albert Dixon · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,668 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
23 July 2004
Last activity
27 July 2004
Original author
Albert Dixon
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,668
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have had a Mountain Bike all my life and I would like to upgrade to a Road
    Bike.
    My question is, do Bike Shops let you take a demo bike ? for a good ride.
    I mean I don't want to ride around the block.
    I want to ride it for a 50k ride so that I can get the feel if I will like
    the new setup as compared to my MTB, like will I get a sore back ect ect.
    Do they let you do it ?

    kind regards,
    Albert

  2. Albert Dixon said:

    I have had a Mountain Bike all my life and I would like to upgrade to a Road
    Bike.
    My question is, do Bike Shops let you take a demo bike ? for a good ride.
    I mean I don't want to ride around the block.
    I want to ride it for a 50k ride so that I can get the feel if I will like
    the new setup as compared to my MTB, like will I get a sore back ect ect.
    Do they let you do it ?

    kind regards,
    Albert

    They'll only let you do it if you ask nicely.

    Otoh, it might take a while to get the bike fitted properly, so the time might be better spent on the bike on a trainer in the shop. The shop person mightn't be very helpful, but if you're going to spend at least a grand or two, then it is in their interest to work with you for an hour or two.

    Good luck in your search,

    Ritch

  3. They probably might let you take it for a good decent ride if you give them
    your credit card number....so, if in the event of an accident or vandalism
    or theft, they can charge you either for the cost of the bike or perhaps the
    repairs but i'd dare say it to be the cost of the bike.
    The old "you prang it, you buy it" system

    DJ
    "Albert Dixon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have had a Mountain Bike all my life and I would like to upgrade to a


    Road

    Quoted message said:

    Bike.
    My question is, do Bike Shops let you take a demo bike ? for a good ride.
    I mean I don't want to ride around the block.
    I want to ride it for a 50k ride so that I can get the feel if I will like
    the new setup as compared to my MTB, like will I get a sore back ect ect.
    Do they let you do it ?

    kind regards,
    Albert

  4. Albert Dixon said:

    I have had a Mountain Bike all my life and I would like to upgrade to a Road
    Bike.
    My question is, do Bike Shops let you take a demo bike ? for a good ride.
    I mean I don't want to ride around the block.
    I want to ride it for a 50k ride so that I can get the feel if I will like
    the new setup as compared to my MTB, like will I get a sore back ect ect.
    Do they let you do it ?

    kind regards,
    Albert

    "Upgrade"??? That's a good way to start a fight . . . 😉 😕 :eek:

    You might be able to convince the shop to let you join their group ride (if applicable), leave your old bike and drivers licence, credit card, spouse, firstborn child, or other collateral, after being set up (NPI) with the right length bars, stem, et c. You can swap your own pedals onto it more often than not.

    The more definite you are about a particular make and model, the more disposed a shop will be - sniffing a sale in the wind, not just a tire-kicker.

    If it's just any old road bike you're after, some shops have generic hire roadies. Ask around.

    M "ride-offs are a theft statistic too bizarre (and stupid) to claim on" H

  5. "Albert Dixon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    I have had a Mountain Bike all my life and I would like to upgrade to
    a Road Bike.

    Upgrade???

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  6. DRS said:

    "Albert Dixon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    I have had a Mountain Bike all my life and I would like to upgrade to
    a Road Bike.

    Upgrade???

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?


    Q: What's the second most annoying thing on Usenet?
    A: People who don't read the whole thread and exactly repeat what the previous poster has just written, thereby advancing the discussion by not one iota, and when you see their ID, getting you to jump into the thread, in the hope of a good verbal stoush, then realise the above has happened. Sheesh.:P

    M "robust debate with the usual suspects"H

  7. "mfhor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    Q: What's the second most annoying thing on Usenet?
    A: People who don't read the whole thread and exactly repeat what the
    previous poster has just written,

    You are wrongly assuming that every post has propagated to every server at
    the time of posting. That is never a safe assumption on Usenet.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Q: What's the second most annoying thing on Usenet?


    worse?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A: People who don't read the whole thread and exactly repeat what the


    or

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    previous poster has just written

    better,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You are wrongly assuming that every post has propagated to every server


    this

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    at


    Is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the time of posting. That is never a safe assumption on Usenet.

    know?

    Quoted message said:

    A: Top-posters.


    don't

    Quoted message said:

    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?


    I

  9. DRS said:

    "mfhor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    Q: What's the second most annoying thing on Usenet?
    A: People who don't read the whole thread and exactly repeat what the
    previous poster has just written,

    You are wrongly assuming that every post has propagated to every server at
    the time of posting. That is never a safe assumption on Usenet.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?


    Well, sorry for my lack of couth.

    But I said it first. Nya Nya nya nya nya.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.