General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Thanksgiving

Started by MoM · · Last activity · 177 posts · 3,556 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 October 2005
Last activity
4 November 2005
Original author
MoM
Posts
177
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,556
Views / 30 days
16

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 101–120 of 177
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Tue 25 Oct 2005 06:16:03p, Bob Terwilliger wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne said:

    I can "enjoy" one very freshly roasted turkey sandwich made with breast
    meat. Must be made on the evening of Thanksgiving day, or no later than
    lunch the next day. Must be made on good white bread with mayo and
    lettuce. After that, if it's in our house, the cats get it. Now the
    cornbread dressing and sweet potatoes and fresh cranberry sauce I could
    eat for days and usually do!

    Speaking of dressing, I must give credit to Gloria (Puester) for her
    dressing recipe. It's the best I've ever made. She hasn't posted it this
    year, so allow me to post it on her behalf:

    Bob, thanks for posting Gloria's recipe, and thanks to Gloria for having
    given it to us originally. This looks absolutely delicious! I may just
    have to have two pans of dressing this Thanksgiving, but will definitely
    make this one when I make a roasted chicken or capon. Bob, I also like
    your idea of making for pork chops, as well!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________

    http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

    Meet Mr. Bailey

  2. On Tue 25 Oct 2005 07:31:29p, Puester wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:
    Bob Terwilliger said:


    Speaking of dressing, I must give credit to Gloria (Puester) for her
    dressing recipe. It's the best I've ever made. She hasn't posted it this
    year, so allow me to post it on her behalf:

    Thanks, Bob.

    I haven't thought about Thanksgiving much this year because my kids and
    their family/significant other will both be away for the holiday, but
    here for Christmas. We'll probably have dinner with neighbors and I'll
    cook a small turkey for the leftovers.

    When I was a kid my aunt used to make a similar stuffing the day before
    for pur dual family celebration. She also was the pie baker. We kids
    couldn't wait for the stuffing to be finished so we could have "stuffing
    sandwiches". My mom always cooked the turkey and most of the vegetables.

    gloria p

    Thanks, Gloria!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________

    http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

    Meet Mr. Bailey

  3. Wayne said:

    Honesly, no. I'd sooner eat dirt. :-) I simply don't like the taste of
    turkey meat, no matter then seasonings, the cooking method, etc. I'm
    pesonally much better off without it. It's bad enough when I attempt to
    eat a bit of it just warm, at room temperature, or cold, but the thought
    of eating it reheated makes me gag. I'm really sorry, but I just can't
    help it.

    I've made turkey chili before. It doesn't taste like turkey, it tastes like
    chili. Given a strong enough sauce, you can mask the turkey flavor fairly
    easily: Turkey chili or turkey mole work well, and there are half-a-dozen
    different curry methods which are also tasty without carrying the turkey
    flavor forward.

    But if you don't WANT to eat turkey, there's not really much point to doing
    any of that. I do it because turkey is a good lowfat protein source.

    Bob

  4. Gloria said:

    We kids couldn't wait for the stuffing to be finished so we could have
    "stuffing sandwiches".

    Things you pick up watching television... an episode of "Friends" contained
    the description of a turkey sandwich with "The MoistMaker." It's a turkey
    sandwich with a layer of gravy-soaked stuffing in the middle.

    Bob

  5. On Tue 25 Oct 2005 09:23:02p, Bob Terwilliger wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne said:

    Honesly, no. I'd sooner eat dirt. :-) I simply don't like the taste
    of turkey meat, no matter then seasonings, the cooking method, etc.
    I'm pesonally much better off without it. It's bad enough when I
    attempt to eat a bit of it just warm, at room temperature, or cold, but
    the thought of eating it reheated makes me gag. I'm really sorry, but
    I just can't help it.

    I've made turkey chili before. It doesn't taste like turkey, it tastes
    like chili. Given a strong enough sauce, you can mask the turkey flavor
    fairly easily: Turkey chili or turkey mole work well, and there are
    half-a-dozen different curry methods which are also tasty without
    carrying the turkey flavor forward.

    But if you don't WANT to eat turkey, there's not really much point to
    doing any of that. I do it because turkey is a good lowfat protein
    source.

    Points well taken. Yes, I don't want to eat turkey. I realize it's
    dietary benefits, but I'd rather stick with chicken which I really do like.

    Thanks, Bob

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________

    http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

    Meet Mr. Bailey

  6. notbob said:
    -L. said:

    😉 We buy them on sale at the end of the holiday season (8-12 cents
    per lb)

    I've seen turkeys pretty cheap, but that's amazing. Where do you find
    15lb turkeys for a couple bucks?

    nb

    Winco in Tigard, Oregon. Only available this cheap during T-Day and
    X-Mas.

    -L.

  7. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:


    You must not ever have had turkey roasted right. :-)
    I know one poster (don't remember who) said that 90% of folks ruin them
    and IME I agree! The cooking times are WAY way way too long and the bird
    gets all dried out, even ones with that "pop up" indicator.

    Standard is 15 minutes per lb.

    We cut it back to 8 to 10 minutes per lb. and it comes out OH so much
    better! Even a meat thermometer does not work all that well! I think if
    it were to be put into maybe mid-thigh, it might.

    Nothing grosser than under-done turkey though. I'd rather err on the
    side of overdone.

    Quoted message said:


    Once we learned that, turkey became wonderful again.

    We also quit stuffing them and started making stuffing in a separate
    roasting pan. You can still add drippings to it or smother it in gravy
    to get the extra turkey flavor.

    I hate stuffed stuffing. It's just so gooey and ick! I like my
    dressing with a crust on top.

    Quoted message said:


    I also purchase giblets and necks separately and make the gravy the day
    before so I can make a decent stock. I still add the roast drippings to
    it to finish it off...

    I cook massive quantities of necks in a large crock pot, a couple weeks
    before T-Day. I then reduce the broth, freeze it and later use it for
    gravy and dressing - very tasty! We like meat in our dressing and
    gravy.

    -L.

  8. In article <1130291215.10a6376d37f9968f3c798787bc23e3d9@teranews>,

    MoM said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    notbob said:

    On 2005-10-25, -L. <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > 😉 We buy them on sale at the end of the holiday season (8-12 cents
    > per lb)

    I've seen turkeys pretty cheap, but that's amazing. Where do you find
    15lb turkeys for a couple bucks?

    nb

    Yeah, she is lucky! I've never seen them drop lower than maybe 29 cents
    per lb. on sale!

    Usual is 49 cents per lb.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack
    Nicholson

    Wow! I can't even get one off season for 99 cents a pound. Lowest is
    around $1.29 Canadian.

    MoM

    Take a drive over the border, visit a Wal-mart super center and stock up
    dear! You will have to make it worth the price of gas tho'......

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  9. In article <1130292117.b0023bb0bf07667de7fdc43ea87b94f0@teranews>,

    MoM said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Tue 25 Oct 2005 02:55:03p, Tara wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:21:31 GMT, "CooberGirl"
    > <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyhow, for me, the best part of Thanksgiving is not the turkey. Every
    >>year, my in-laws go up to Pennsylvania and get a fresh turkey from this
    >>specialty turkey place. I'm no more impressed with it than I am with
    >>the
    >>previously-frozen supermarket turkeys my mom used to buy. I'm a side
    >>dish
    >>girl, myself.
    >
    > You sound just like me. I put about three bites of turkey on my plate
    > and gorge myself on dressing, green beans, potato salad, sweet
    > potatoes, macaroni and cheese, devilled eggs, cole slaw, rolls ...

    I don't especially like turkey, so all the side dishes are more
    appealing.
    I'd rather have a roast chicken or capon.

    You must not ever have had turkey roasted right. :-)
    I know one poster (don't remember who) said that 90% of folks ruin them
    and IME I agree! The cooking times are WAY way way too long and the bird
    gets all dried out, even ones with that "pop up" indicator.

    Standard is 15 minutes per lb.

    We cut it back to 8 to 10 minutes per lb. and it comes out OH so much
    better! Even a meat thermometer does not work all that well! I think if
    it were to be put into maybe mid-thigh, it might.

    Once we learned that, turkey became wonderful again.

    We also quit stuffing them and started making stuffing in a separate
    roasting pan. You can still add drippings to it or smother it in gravy
    to get the extra turkey flavor.

    I also purchase giblets and necks separately and make the gravy the day
    before so I can make a decent stock. I still add the roast drippings to
    it to finish it off...

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack
    Nicholson

    There is nothing worse than a badly cooked turkey. Dry and tasteless.

    I use a method some would disagree with, but I always end up with a juicy
    tastey bird. This is my method.

    Lazy Oven Turkey
    Categories: Poultry

    Serves: 8 Servings

    Ingredients:
    a.. 12 lb Turkey, 8-14 pounds
    b.. 1 md Onion
    c.. 1 ts Dry thyme
    d.. 1 ts Dry rosemary
    e.. 1 ts Dry sage
    f.. Salt and pepper

    Instructions:
    Remove giblets and neck from turkey; set aside. Rinse and drain turkey.
    Pat dry. Use a covered roasting pan that just fits the bird. Cut onion in
    half and place inside turkey. Blend herbs and make a paste with a little
    fat. Spread on outside of turkey and press into skin. Tie legs together.
    Pour 1/2 inch water into pan and cover with lid. Place pan in a 350 degree
    oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or til meat thermometer registers 185. Uncover
    for last 10 minutes to brown if desired. Remove from oven and let sit for
    15 minutes before carving. Drain liquid into a pot and return turkey to a
    warm oven til ready to carve(after standing 15 minutes).
    Posted to Recipe Archive - 27 October 96

    Date: Sun, 27 Oct 96 12:24:27 EST

    submitted by: [email hidden]

    See? That's what I mean. :-) Normally a 12 lb. turkey would be cooked
    for 3 hours at 375. You are cutting the cooking time by about 1/3 or
    more.

    That is what has worked for me too except I still roast at 375.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Tue 25 Oct 2005 05:58:43p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Honestly, try re-heated turkey sometime on hot toast with hot
    butter....... ;-d

    Honesly, no. I'd sooner eat dirt. :-) I simply don't like the taste of
    turkey meat, no matter then seasonings, the cooking method, etc. I'm
    pesonally much better off without it. It's bad enough when I attempt to eat
    a bit of it just warm, at room temperature, or cold, but the thought of
    eating it reheated makes me gag. I'm really sorry, but I just can't help it.

    I understand! :-)
    There are some foods I just cannot stand that are well loved by
    others....

    Bell peppers come to mind. I just never, EVER have been able to stand
    those things! Same goes for cooked beets, but I love beet GREENS.

    I wonder if it is genetic like Cilantro? <lol>
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    -L. said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:


    You must not ever have had turkey roasted right. :-)
    I know one poster (don't remember who) said that 90% of folks ruin them
    and IME I agree! The cooking times are WAY way way too long and the bird
    gets all dried out, even ones with that "pop up" indicator.

    Standard is 15 minutes per lb.

    We cut it back to 8 to 10 minutes per lb. and it comes out OH so much
    better! Even a meat thermometer does not work all that well! I think if
    it were to be put into maybe mid-thigh, it might.

    Nothing grosser than under-done turkey though. I'd rather err on the
    side of overdone.

    EWWWWWW!!!
    There is always the nuker for any underdone meat.
    Once it's overcooked, it's dog food!

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:


    Once we learned that, turkey became wonderful again.

    We also quit stuffing them and started making stuffing in a separate
    roasting pan. You can still add drippings to it or smother it in gravy
    to get the extra turkey flavor.

    I hate stuffed stuffing. It's just so gooey and ick! I like my
    dressing with a crust on top.

    I make a wild rice stuffing.
    Cannot stand gooey bread stuffing, but millions of people love it.
    I've come to respect other people's likes and dislikes. :-)
    Life is too short to make yourself eat food you don't like!

    It's also one of the few advantages of being an adult. You get to eat
    what you want!

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:


    I also purchase giblets and necks separately and make the gravy the day
    before so I can make a decent stock. I still add the roast drippings to
    it to finish it off...

    I cook massive quantities of necks in a large crock pot, a couple weeks
    before T-Day. I then reduce the broth, freeze it and later use it for
    gravy and dressing - very tasty! We like meat in our dressing and
    gravy.

    -L.

    Indeed! :-)
    I'm considering adding some turkey wing meat to my "pre-stock" this year.
    I normally just use necks and giblets. There are packages of turkey
    gizzards available seasonally.

    Cheers!

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  12. On Wed 26 Oct 2005 02:37:35a, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Tue 25 Oct 2005 05:58:43p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Honestly, try re-heated turkey sometime on hot toast with hot
    butter....... ;-d

    Honesly, no. I'd sooner eat dirt. :-) I simply don't like the taste
    of turkey meat, no matter then seasonings, the cooking method, etc.
    I'm pesonally much better off without it. It's bad enough when I
    attempt to eat a bit of it just warm, at room temperature, or cold, but
    the thought of eating it reheated makes me gag. I'm really sorry, but
    I just can't help it.

    I understand! :-)
    There are some foods I just cannot stand that are well loved by
    others....

    Bell peppers come to mind. I just never, EVER have been able to stand
    those things! Same goes for cooked beets, but I love beet GREENS.

    I wonder if it is genetic like Cilantro? <lol>

    Who knows, it might be. OTOH, I happen love both bell peppers and beets.
    :-)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________

    http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

    Meet Mr. Bailey

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Wed 26 Oct 2005 02:37:35a, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Tue 25 Oct 2005 05:58:43p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    > Honestly, try re-heated turkey sometime on hot toast with hot
    > butter....... ;-d

    Honesly, no. I'd sooner eat dirt. :-) I simply don't like the taste
    of turkey meat, no matter then seasonings, the cooking method, etc.
    I'm pesonally much better off without it. It's bad enough when I
    attempt to eat a bit of it just warm, at room temperature, or cold, but
    the thought of eating it reheated makes me gag. I'm really sorry, but
    I just can't help it.

    I understand! :-)
    There are some foods I just cannot stand that are well loved by
    others....

    Bell peppers come to mind. I just never, EVER have been able to stand
    those things! Same goes for cooked beets, but I love beet GREENS.

    I wonder if it is genetic like Cilantro? <lol>

    Who knows, it might be. OTOH, I happen love both bell peppers and beets.
    :-)

    But do you like cilantro???? ;-D

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  14. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Different strokes! :-)
    it's just that, since you have to rinse stuff off before you can put it
    in the dishwasher, I just never really saw the point???

    You don't have to rinse before putting into a dishwasher. In fact, if I
    did, I'd know it was time for a better dishwasher. Just scrape off any
    chunks of food and load her up! My dishwasher even has a small disposal
    in the bottom to take care of any chunks before the water goes down the
    drain.
    Gooomba

  15. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Curly Sue) said:

    I have a small kitchen so there isn't enough room to cook and wash
    dishes at the same time. But if I had a huge kitchen, I'd have 3
    dishwashers! My kitchen didn't have a dishwasher when I moved in; I
    bought one within a month!

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    Hee! I DO clean up as I go! I rarely have more than a couple of pots to
    clean by the time I am done cooking, and my kitchen is quite small. My
    house is 3 bedroom, 1 bath, and only 1,100 square feet.

    Your house is about the same size as mine (sq ft includes the
    basement), but I have only 2 bedrooms.

    But I don't have enough room in the kitchen to keep a pan of water in
    the sink for washing and use the sink and counter for cooking. I'd be
    juggling dishes and interrupting my work constantly. Your counter
    configuration and/or interest in washing dishes is greater than mine.

    (Anyway I read in another subject that you have help!)

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Curly Sue) said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Curly Sue) said:

    I have a small kitchen so there isn't enough room to cook and wash
    dishes at the same time. But if I had a huge kitchen, I'd have 3
    dishwashers! My kitchen didn't have a dishwasher when I moved in; I
    bought one within a month!

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    Hee! I DO clean up as I go! I rarely have more than a couple of pots to
    clean by the time I am done cooking, and my kitchen is quite small. My
    house is 3 bedroom, 1 bath, and only 1,100 square feet.

    Your house is about the same size as mine (sq ft includes the
    basement), but I have only 2 bedrooms.

    But I don't have enough room in the kitchen to keep a pan of water in
    the sink for washing and use the sink and counter for cooking. I'd be
    juggling dishes and interrupting my work constantly. Your counter
    configuration and/or interest in washing dishes is greater than mine.

    (Anyway I read in another subject that you have help!)

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    <lol> Doggy cleaning... but that's not really routine. :-)

    I have a double sink, stainless steel pair.
    That might help?

    One sink for washing, one for rinsing.

    If I only had one sink, this would not be possible. One entire wall is
    the double sink with counter on either side. The stove and 'frige are
    side by side on the opposite wall with reduced counter space.

    I should do a good cleanup and take a pic. :-)

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  17. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <1130291215.10a6376d37f9968f3c798787bc23e3d9@teranews>,

    MoM said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    notbob <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > On 2005-10-25, -L. <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    > > 😉 We buy them on sale at the end of the holiday season (8-12 cents
    > > per lb)
    >
    > I've seen turkeys pretty cheap, but that's amazing. Where do you find
    > 15lb turkeys for a couple bucks?
    >
    > nb

    Yeah, she is lucky! I've never seen them drop lower than maybe 29 cents
    per lb. on sale!

    Usual is 49 cents per lb.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack
    Nicholson

    Wow! I can't even get one off season for 99 cents a pound. Lowest is
    around $1.29 Canadian.

    MoM

    Take a drive over the border, visit a Wal-mart super center and stock up
    dear! You will have to make it worth the price of gas tho'......

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack
    Nicholson

    That could be done. But, I'm 3 hours from the border.

    MoM

  18. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <1130292117.b0023bb0bf07667de7fdc43ea87b94f0@teranews>,

    MoM said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Wayne Boatwright <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > On Tue 25 Oct 2005 02:55:03p, Tara wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    > > On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:21:31 GMT, "CooberGirl"
    > > <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Anyhow, for me, the best part of Thanksgiving is not the turkey.
    > >>Every
    > >>year, my in-laws go up to Pennsylvania and get a fresh turkey from
    > >>this
    > >>specialty turkey place. I'm no more impressed with it than I am
    > >>with
    > >>the
    > >>previously-frozen supermarket turkeys my mom used to buy. I'm a
    > >>side
    > >>dish
    > >>girl, myself.
    > >
    > > You sound just like me. I put about three bites of turkey on my
    > > plate
    > > and gorge myself on dressing, green beans, potato salad, sweet
    > > potatoes, macaroni and cheese, devilled eggs, cole slaw, rolls ...
    >
    > I don't especially like turkey, so all the side dishes are more
    > appealing.
    > I'd rather have a roast chicken or capon.

    You must not ever have had turkey roasted right. :-)
    I know one poster (don't remember who) said that 90% of folks ruin them
    and IME I agree! The cooking times are WAY way way too long and the
    bird
    gets all dried out, even ones with that "pop up" indicator.

    Standard is 15 minutes per lb.

    We cut it back to 8 to 10 minutes per lb. and it comes out OH so much
    better! Even a meat thermometer does not work all that well! I think if
    it were to be put into maybe mid-thigh, it might.

    Once we learned that, turkey became wonderful again.

    We also quit stuffing them and started making stuffing in a separate
    roasting pan. You can still add drippings to it or smother it in gravy
    to get the extra turkey flavor.

    I also purchase giblets and necks separately and make the gravy the day
    before so I can make a decent stock. I still add the roast drippings
    to
    it to finish it off...

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack
    Nicholson

    There is nothing worse than a badly cooked turkey. Dry and tasteless.

    I use a method some would disagree with, but I always end up with a juicy
    tastey bird. This is my method.

    Lazy Oven Turkey
    Categories: Poultry

    Serves: 8 Servings

    Ingredients:
    a.. 12 lb Turkey, 8-14 pounds
    b.. 1 md Onion
    c.. 1 ts Dry thyme
    d.. 1 ts Dry rosemary
    e.. 1 ts Dry sage
    f.. Salt and pepper

    Instructions:
    Remove giblets and neck from turkey; set aside. Rinse and drain turkey.
    Pat dry. Use a covered roasting pan that just fits the bird. Cut onion in
    half and place inside turkey. Blend herbs and make a paste with a little
    fat. Spread on outside of turkey and press into skin. Tie legs together.
    Pour 1/2 inch water into pan and cover with lid. Place pan in a 350
    degree
    oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or til meat thermometer registers 185. Uncover
    for last 10 minutes to brown if desired. Remove from oven and let sit for
    15 minutes before carving. Drain liquid into a pot and return turkey to a
    warm oven til ready to carve(after standing 15 minutes).
    Posted to Recipe Archive - 27 October 96

    Date: Sun, 27 Oct 96 12:24:27 EST

    submitted by: [email hidden]

    See? That's what I mean. :-) Normally a 12 lb. turkey would be cooked
    for 3 hours at 375. You are cutting the cooking time by about 1/3 or
    more.

    That is what has worked for me too except I still roast at 375.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack
    Nicholson

    And I always have a crisp lovely skin because I boost the temp at the end.
    There is also lots of liquid for gravy.

    You can see from my post just how long I've been doing this.

    MoM

  19. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Tue 25 Oct 2005 05:58:43p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Honestly, try re-heated turkey sometime on hot toast with hot
    butter....... ;-d

    Honesly, no. I'd sooner eat dirt. :-) I simply don't like the taste of
    turkey meat, no matter then seasonings, the cooking method, etc. I'm
    pesonally much better off without it. It's bad enough when I attempt to
    eat
    a bit of it just warm, at room temperature, or cold, but the thought of
    eating it reheated makes me gag. I'm really sorry, but I just can't help
    it.

    I understand! :-)
    There are some foods I just cannot stand that are well loved by
    others....

    Bell peppers come to mind. I just never, EVER have been able to stand
    those things! Same goes for cooked beets, but I love beet GREENS.

    I wonder if it is genetic like Cilantro? <lol>
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack
    Nicholson

    I think some of it's familial. We grow up with certain stuff and are turned
    off by certain stuff and keep a mental dislike for
    certain things. I used to hate raw onion in anything but somehow I got over
    it and now I love it.

    But, like you I detest bell peppers in most forms. I "do" use it for
    flavouring. Chopped fine in chili, alaking curry etc.

    MoM

  20. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bob Terwilliger' virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz said:
    Om said:

    Ya wanna save time, deep fry it!

    <snippage>

    Quoted message said:


    I can't help but wonder, if you strain then freeze the oil, can it be
    re-used?
    --
    Om.

    Prolonged heating at high temperatures converts unsaturated and
    polyunsaturated oil to a fully saturated product. That's one of the
    reasons that most professionals avoid reusing cooking oil.
    --
    The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.