General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Thanksgiving

Started by MoM · · Last activity · 177 posts · 3,559 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 October 2005
Last activity
4 November 2005
Original author
MoM
Posts
177
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,559
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 161–177 of 177
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ranee Mueller said:


    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Ranee, I would be very interested in your wild rice dressing if you care to
    share.

    Sure thing, it is one of the recipes that Sunset magazine didn't
    think was good enough to go into their November issue. We plebes like
    it, though. 🙁

    4 Tbsp butter
    2 medium onions, diced
    6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    3 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 3 tsp dried
    1 1/2 C wild rice
    1 1/2 C basmati rice
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
    4 1/2 C chicken stock or broth
    1 1/2 C pine nuts

    Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute
    until they start to turn transparent, add garlic and saute some more.
    Add both rices, and stir until they start to smell a bit toasty, not
    browned. Stir in thyme, salt and pepper.

    Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer,
    covered, for about 45 minutes. Check at this point to see if the wild
    rice is sufficiently cooked.

    In another dry pan, toast pine nuts over medium-high heat, stirring
    until they just begin to brown. Remove from heat and let cool. Stir
    into rice mixture just before serving.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.co


    oops, I saw "dressing" and took it to mean that was put into the
    bird.... sorry....Sharon

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Goomba38 said:
    MoM said:

    You can precook and slice your turkey up to a month ahead. Then, on the
    day; while all the side dishes are cooking; you take a roasting pan and
    line
    it with LETTUCE. A couple of layers. Put your turkey in, you can separate
    dark and white meat. Cover with another couple of layers of lettuce and
    put
    the lid on. Put in a 325* oven while you are cooking the potatoes and veg
    and reheating the gravy and stuffing. I imagine the stuffing can go in the
    oven too. Usually by the time everything else is ready, and you take the
    lid off the roasting pan it will be steaming and the turkey will be moist
    and delicious just like fresh cooked.

    There is something sooooooooo wrong about this, to me. Part of my
    pleasure is the smell of roasting turkey (as well as all the labor) on
    the actual day of Thanksgiving. It feeds into my need for tradition.
    What do you serve and carve at the table? I don't have any trouble
    preparing a large meal with many different items on that day. It just
    takes planning. I had a neighbor once who roasted then sliced the turkey
    the night before and just let it sit out. It was so unappetizing, as
    well as a huge bacterial risk.

    I can see why a very, very busy person might do this but to me, what's
    the point? :-( If I work Thanksgiving (and I usually do), I just have it
    on that weekend instead...

    Since I work night shift tho', I might actually be able to pull it off
    if I prepare everything the day before and get it ready to go, and just
    start cooking when I get home and skip that morning workout. That would
    put me home about 07:30 am and I have to go to sleep by about 2 pm or so.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

    So, if someone is so busy they need to cook their turkey a month ahead
    of time, why not just go out for dinner? In our very extended family,
    the preparation is done as a collaborative effort. We put things together
    while talking, laughing and catching up with family members we haven't
    seen in a while. If any of us were worried about the amount of time it
    took, we would be better off just renting a banquet room or having the
    dinner catered.

  3. In article said:
    Ranee Mueller said:


    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Ranee, I would be very interested in your wild rice dressing if you care
    to
    share.

    Sure thing, it is one of the recipes that Sunset magazine didn't
    think was good enough to go into their November issue. We plebes like
    it, though. 🙁

    4 Tbsp butter
    2 medium onions, diced
    6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    3 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 3 tsp dried
    1 1/2 C wild rice
    1 1/2 C basmati rice
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
    4 1/2 C chicken stock or broth
    1 1/2 C pine nuts

    Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute
    until they start to turn transparent, add garlic and saute some more.
    Add both rices, and stir until they start to smell a bit toasty, not
    browned. Stir in thyme, salt and pepper.

    Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer,
    covered, for about 45 minutes. Check at this point to see if the wild
    rice is sufficiently cooked.

    In another dry pan, toast pine nuts over medium-high heat, stirring
    until they just begin to brown. Remove from heat and let cool. Stir
    into rice mixture just before serving.


    Hi Ranee How would one adapt this recipe to use for a side
    dish with other meats/veg? Thanks...Sharon

    IMHO it looks just fine on it's own and should cook ok in a pan. :-)
    For real thanksgiving flavor, it _really_ needs a bit of sage, but
    that's just my own personal opinion.

    I've never added pinon to rice. I love that idea!

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Donna Pattee) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Goomba38 said:

    MoM wrote:

    > You can precook and slice your turkey up to a month ahead. Then, on the
    > day; while all the side dishes are cooking; you take a roasting pan and
    > line
    > it with LETTUCE. A couple of layers. Put your turkey in, you can
    > separate
    > dark and white meat. Cover with another couple of layers of lettuce and
    > put
    > the lid on. Put in a 325* oven while you are cooking the potatoes and
    > veg
    > and reheating the gravy and stuffing. I imagine the stuffing can go in
    > the
    > oven too. Usually by the time everything else is ready, and you take
    > the
    > lid off the roasting pan it will be steaming and the turkey will be
    > moist
    > and delicious just like fresh cooked.

    There is something sooooooooo wrong about this, to me. Part of my
    pleasure is the smell of roasting turkey (as well as all the labor) on
    the actual day of Thanksgiving. It feeds into my need for tradition.
    What do you serve and carve at the table? I don't have any trouble
    preparing a large meal with many different items on that day. It just
    takes planning. I had a neighbor once who roasted then sliced the turkey
    the night before and just let it sit out. It was so unappetizing, as
    well as a huge bacterial risk.

    I can see why a very, very busy person might do this but to me, what's
    the point? :-( If I work Thanksgiving (and I usually do), I just have it
    on that weekend instead...

    Since I work night shift tho', I might actually be able to pull it off
    if I prepare everything the day before and get it ready to go, and just
    start cooking when I get home and skip that morning workout. That would
    put me home about 07:30 am and I have to go to sleep by about 2 pm or so.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack
    Nicholson

    So, if someone is so busy they need to cook their turkey a month ahead
    of time, why not just go out for dinner? In our very extended family,
    the preparation is done as a collaborative effort. We put things together
    while talking, laughing and catching up with family members we haven't
    seen in a while. If any of us were worried about the amount of time it
    took, we would be better off just renting a banquet room or having the
    dinner catered.

    Well stated. :-)
    Personally, I'd _never_ prepare food a month in advance! Maybe the
    weekend before, but that's only 4 days...
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  5. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Donna Pattee) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Goomba38 <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > MoM wrote:
    >
    > > You can precook and slice your turkey up to a month ahead.
    >
    > There is something sooooooooo wrong about this, to me. Part of my
    > pleasure is the smell of roasting turkey (as well as all the labor) on
    > the actual day of Thanksgiving. It feeds into my need for tradition.
    > What do you serve and carve at the table?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I can see why a very, very busy person might do this but to me, what's
    the point? :-( If I work Thanksgiving (and I usually do), I just have it
    on that weekend instead...

    Since I work night shift tho', I might actually be able to pull it off
    if I prepare everything the day before and get it ready to go, and just
    start cooking when I get home and skip that morning workout. That would
    put me home about 07:30 am and I have to go to sleep by about 2 pm or
    so.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    So, if someone is so busy they need to cook their turkey a month ahead
    of time, why not just go out for dinner? In our very extended family,
    the preparation is done as a collaborative effort. We put things together
    while talking, laughing and catching up with family members we haven't
    seen in a while. If any of us were worried about the amount of time it
    took, we would be better off just renting a banquet room or having the
    dinner catered.

    Well stated. :-)
    Personally, I'd _never_ prepare food a month in advance! Maybe the
    weekend before, but that's only 4 days...
    --
    Om.

    I would never do Thanksgiving dinner in advance either. I want leftovers
    the day after not the day of!

    I can do turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, a salad
    of some sort, a couple of veggies and rolls from scratch essentially by
    myself. I start around 8am and dinner is on the table around 1. The
    daughter in law helps some now and the granddaughters have taken over
    setting the table. Pies and desserts get made the day before and I usually
    put together a relish tray the day before. It really isn't that hard.

    Ms P

  6. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Personally, I'd _never_ prepare food a month in advance! Maybe the
    weekend before, but that's only 4 days...

    Well, there are some things I am preparing well in advance, like the
    stock for the gravy. I got some turkey necks this week,and those are
    now waiting in my freezer for when I have time to make turkey stock.

    And I already got cranberries to make cranberry chutney and another
    cranberry dish. Those benefit from being made well ahead.

    And I am thinking of making my pie pastry early too, and sticking it
    in the freezer.

    Christine

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Christine Dabney said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Personally, I'd _never_ prepare food a month in advance! Maybe the
    weekend before, but that's only 4 days...

    Well, there are some things I am preparing well in advance, like the
    stock for the gravy. I got some turkey necks this week,and those are
    now waiting in my freezer for when I have time to make turkey stock.

    And I already got cranberries to make cranberry chutney and another
    cranberry dish. Those benefit from being made well ahead.

    And I am thinking of making my pie pastry early too, and sticking it
    in the freezer.

    Christine

    That's cool... but not the turkey!

    IMHO cranberry/orange relish does better sitting for a month, especially
    with a hair of brandy added to it.

    Freezing stock in advance is not a bad idea either. I'm on vacation
    right now thru the end of next week and that does not sound like a bad
    idea.

    But not the turkey....... ;-)

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  8. In article said:
    Curly Sue said:

    Are the Costco pies bad? The hardest part of a pumpkin pie is the
    crust. The filling is just mixing ingredients together and baking and
    should be very easy to do in quantity.

    I make pumpkin pie for holidays, but I have had some nice commercial
    ones.

    Quoted message said:

    I remember a pumpkin pie cooking contest on food-tv. I forget the town
    but most competitors said canned pumpkin pie filling makes the best "blue
    ribbon" pies.

    I enjoy bakery bought pumpkin pies.

    I am under standing orders from my mother to bring a pumpkin pie from
    Fatapple's bakery in Berkeley for T-day dessert.

    My mother and I are both good cooks but neither of us has ever mastered
    pie crust.

    My paternal grandmother, may she rest in peace, was an ace pie baker.
    (She used to get up early on T-day and make her pies.) Fatapple's is as
    good as hers.

    We have it with real whipped cream, of course. (Certain of us regard
    pumpkin pie as a whipped-cream delivery vehicle.)

    We eat homemade chocolate truffles (made by me to Kay's recipe) and
    homemade cookies (usually Mom's) when we are playing cards after dinner.

    Last year when I hosted, I delegated dessert out to a pie-baker friend. I
    would have cheerfully placed another order at Fatapple's, though.

    Charlotte (waving hi!!)
    http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com

    --

  9. Charlotte L. Blackmer said:

    I am under standing orders from my mother to bring a pumpkin pie from
    Fatapple's bakery in Berkeley for T-day dessert.

    We have it with real whipped cream, of course. (Certain of us regard
    pumpkin pie as a whipped-cream delivery vehicle.)

    I have always thought MOST desserts met that description. At least they
    do in our house....

    gloria p

  10. Charlotte L. Blackmer said:

    Charlotte (waving hi!!)

    Charlotte.... Glad to see you here again! We were just reminiscing
    about posters we haven't seen lately in our this morning's web Chat
    session. Drop by and visit sometime!
    http://www.penguinpowered.ca/~vexorg/pjirc/rec.food.cooking.html

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Charlotte L. Blackmer) said:

    Charlotte (waving hi!!)
    http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com

    Good to see you, Charlotte. I have been a poor correspondent, but
    thank you for your efforts anyway!

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Charlotte L. Blackmer) said:

    Charlotte (waving hi!!)
    http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com

    Good to see you, Charlotte. I have been a poor correspondent, but
    thank you for your efforts anyway!

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Charlotte L. Blackmer) said:

    Charlotte (waving hi!!)
    http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com

    Good to see you, Charlotte. I have been a poor correspondent, but
    thank you for your efforts anyway!

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  14. In article said:

    Hi Ranee How would one adapt this recipe to use for a side
    dish with other meats/veg? Thanks...Sharon

    That's what I like about this. It _can_ be used stuffed inside the
    bird, but it is not necessary to do so. It is quite a fine side dish
    all on its own. And, if you have any leftover meat, gravy or
    vegetables, you can mix them all together in a pan and bake as a
    casserole for a nice rerun of the meal. 🙂

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  15. In article said:

    Hi Ranee How would one adapt this recipe to use for a side
    dish with other meats/veg? Thanks...Sharon

    That's what I like about this. It _can_ be used stuffed inside the
    bird, but it is not necessary to do so. It is quite a fine side dish
    all on its own. And, if you have any leftover meat, gravy or
    vegetables, you can mix them all together in a pan and bake as a
    casserole for a nice rerun of the meal. 🙂

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  16. In article said:

    Hi Ranee How would one adapt this recipe to use for a side
    dish with other meats/veg? Thanks...Sharon

    That's what I like about this. It _can_ be used stuffed inside the
    bird, but it is not necessary to do so. It is quite a fine side dish
    all on its own. And, if you have any leftover meat, gravy or
    vegetables, you can mix them all together in a pan and bake as a
    casserole for a nice rerun of the meal. 🙂

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  17. "pablo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Boron Elgar" <[email hidden]> wrote in message > Chocolate
    pie & lemon meringue are the traditions around here. No

    Quoted message said:

    pumpkin or apple at all. OH, and I have to make double the needed
    crust so I can sprinkle some with cinnamon and sugar and bake it for
    the kids to eat like cookies.(the kids are 18, 18 & 21)


    Sounds like you have a family tradition going with your pie crusts,
    Boron, but here is a treat from Sonora. Coyotas are a regional
    specialty there. I'd have to say they taste kind of like a molasses pop
    [censored]. Of course yours will be far superior to mere toaster pastries.

    Pablo
    *****************************

    Recipe: Coyotas De Dona Maria Villa De Seris

    Similar Categories: Coyotas, Dona, Maria, Villa, Seris

    Coyotas De Dona Maria Villa De Seris

    ***FOR THE DOUGH***

    1 tablespoon butter -- up to 2

    10 1/2 pounds unbleached flour

    5 1/2 tablespoons salt

    2 3/4 pounds vegetable shortening

    cold water

    ***FOR THE FILLING***

    4 cups unrefined brown sugar -- (piloncillo), or

    -- dark brown sugar

    3/4 cup unbleached flour

    Preheat oven to 350F. Butter 2 baking sheets, and set aside.

    Prepare the dough: Put flour and salt on a pastry board. Mix in
    shortening, using fingertips, until gritty consistency is obtained.
    Slowly add cold water, kneading until the dough is soft and elastic.
    Cover dough, and set aside for 4 hours. If dough is thin, let sit twice
    as long. Re-knead for 8 minutes. Form about 30 2 inch balls with the
    dough. Using a rolling pin, flatten balls into circles, about 4 inches
    in diameter. The dough will shrink, so turn and roll on both sides.

    Prepare the filling: Combine sugar and flour. Put 11/2 to 2 tablespoons
    of the filling in the center of a dough circle. Cover with another
    circle, and seal edges. Remove any excess dough with a knife. Continue
    until all the circles are filled. Place turnovers on prepared baking,
    and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove, and place in a
    basket. Serve warm. The turn over dough can also be filled with pumpkin
    filling. Makes 15 coyotas.

    Source: Bill Gibson, Cocina Montanesa


    You use 10 pounds of flour and 2.75 pounds shortening and get 30 2 inch
    balls for 15 turnovers? Each turnover weighs a pound? Holy desert,
    batman.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.