The best Heart Rate Montor for high levels of Electromagnetic Interference

Ian Levit

Guest
I currently have a Polar Protrainer XP. It works well, except when there are high voltage lines,
where the electrical/electromagnetic interference is strong, in which case it stops working.

I'm sure others have had this problem. I would like to know which product (Make and Model) people
believe can best handle electrical/electromagnetic interference.

Thanks.

Ian Levit

[email protected]

"Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I currently have a Polar Protrainer XP. It works well, except when there are high voltage lines,
> where the electrical/electromagnetic interference
is
> strong, in which case it stops working.

What do you mean stop working? My Polar S720i gives erraneous readouts when passing under for
instance power lines. As soon as they are gone it reads out properly again.

I don't see this as a problem. I see this as a good warning as to what parts of town to stay
away from.

--
Perre

Replace the DOTs to reply

In article <[email protected]>, Per Elmsäter
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I currently have a Polar Protrainer XP. It works well, except when there are high voltage lines,
> > where the electrical/electromagnetic interference
> is
> > strong, in which case it stops working.
> >

> What do you mean stop working? My Polar S720i gives erraneous readouts when passing under for
> instance power lines. As soon as they are gone it reads out properly again.
>
> I don't see this as a problem. I see this as a good warning as to what parts of town to stay
> away from.
>
> --
> Perre

That's a very good observation; if there's enough EMI to confuse the circuitry, it can't be doing
your body a whole lot of good.

I have a Polar too and it goes berserk under power lines; the first time it happened I wondered why
I wasn't dead.

A large part of the bike trail in Northern Virginia, from roughly Ashburn, heading east, is also a
right-of-way for the local electric power company. There are large high voltage lines parallel to
the bike trail.

When you get to that area of the trail, the Polar Protrainer XP will STOP showing your heart rate.
Yes, it is like you are dead. Since this goes on for miles, using your HRM on that part of the trail
is useless. By the way, if I go WEST on the trail, where there are NO high voltage lines, it works
well (with an occasional error code?).

My original question was if anyone with similar problems had found an HRM that was much more
resistant to interference. Polar does explain in their manual, that this can happen from
electrical/electromagnetic interference, and they are correct.

Ian