The bike with the best value ?

iBcycling

Aug 1, 2012
First off, I'm totally new to this site. I have however been cycling for about a month now (wanted a new hobby and really enjoy it)
I think i want to test the waters for competitive road cycling or at least join a club. I don't want to look like a joke however, showing up to an event with a non-brand, crappy, heavy bike.

And I'm aware that the question I am about to ask has probably been posed here numerous times by new cyclist. (hopefully reposts are not looked down upon in this forum group)

My question is:

What is the best road bike i can get for under $500? (brands or models)
- I want to be able to race with it and be competitive
- But at the same time, since i am a student, I am on a budget

Which bike gives good performance, without hurting my limited funds. (I'm looking for value)

If I'm asking for to much at such a low price, let me know, I'm still a newbie to the sport.
Just so anyone doesnt get the wrong idea either, I am not planning to do competitive racing after my first month, i understand i still have much to train for before i can use my new bike to race.

Any insight is appreciated :)

Two words:
- Second
- Hand

Take a look on ebay, your local paper or bike shop if they sell second hand bikes and find out what $500 will get you.

Agreed. Get a good used bike off craigslist or such.

Racing on a new, or even used, $500 bike is going to be a challenge. Being competitive may be even more of a challenge, but good deals can be found with some dedicated and deliberate shopping skills.

Shop slowly and carefully. Upgrade or trade up equipment as you can afford it and as your cycling abilities improve. Buy clothing and accessories when you can and focus on training and finding some other racers to train with and learn from.

Worry about your 'looks' and what others think of your equipment last and least.

You're a student and you want a new and somewhat expense hobby? Your studies just aren't enough to occupy your mind?

I would agree that "the Doctor that graduates from medical school at the bottom of his class... is still called: Doctor". But maybe at this time in your life new hobbies could be set aside for the sake of the task at hand. Just something I thought was worth throwing out here... being a father myself.... as well as an avid cyclist.

Postpone the spending....until you have an income. You are very fortunate to have this time in your life to become educated.... make the most of it. Cycling will still be a lot of fun long after you've graduated and made something of yourself.... and for decades after that as well. Learn to enjoy the time you're in... instead of reaching for a different time.

Just sayin.

Postpone the spending....until you have an income.

JMNSHO, but I completely disagree.

I was racing a second hand PY-10 as a college freshman with a part-time job and as a junior had a Paramount P-13-9 custom built for me. And I was as flat busted as most college students. I drove a beat to ****, hand-me-down 1966 Rambler freakin' American 220 to classes, for God's sake. I hitch-hiked 150 miles to a pro bike shop to buy shoes.

I wasted money on booze, dope, wimmenz, concert tickets, motorcycles and still managed to get thru undergrad classes in four years...and still found the time to train, race, ride to Kitty Hawk on spring break, etc. The bicycles I saved for and bought on my dime were the VERY BEST investments I've made in life. Racing motivated me to earn money (I sure as hell couldn't win it on my talent!). Frankly, riding taught me more about life and how to succeed and how to rely on myself than any of my undergrad courses did.

Buy your first racing bike now, while you are young, iBcycling! I seriously doubt you'll regret it or miss the money in a couple of months.

You can adopt lightly used bikes on Craigslist for a song (for the most part). That would be my suggestion. You may have to go to a metropolitan area one or two cities over from where you live but you can find bikes that have less than 500 miles on them that someone bought when they THOUGHT they wanted to start cycling. Do a little research to get the sizing somewhat right and you are on your way.

Oh wow! thanks for all the advice guys.
I'm definitely going to look into buying a second hand bike!
Are there any types of bikes that i should specifically look for? (any good brands or models. or anything vital for racing)

@ Dave Cutter, I really appreciate your comment. I'm definatly not going to let a hobby come in the way of my education. At the same time i think its important to have an outlet, something you can do to forget about school. Its all about having a balance

Originally Posted by iBcycling .
@ Dave Cutter, ...... I'm definatly not going to let a hobby come in the way of my education. At the same time i think its important to have an outlet, something you can do to forget about school. Its all about having a balance
I know... I didn't think for a minute that my comment would dissuade you. I am the father of grown productive adults... now. But they all needed some kindly reminding of the general direction.... that they had selected for themselves... from time-to-time.

I encouraged my kids to swim for fitness.... [lots good things to be said about swimming]. But road cycling is also a sport that you can take with you long after school... and even into your old age. Enjoy your new hobby!

(any good brands or models. or anything vital for racing)

I would shop for a Trek/Specialized/Cannondale 'cheap' aluminum frame with agressive geometry Avoid touring, hybrid or 'sport' type bikes. You are looking for speed and handling.

Like docold said, get the size at least close to right. That is important. Color, saddle type, stem reach...not so much. Pedals will probabaly get tossed or replace unless you get lucky and buy a bike that comes with a decent pair of Looks, Shimanos or such.

Shimano 105 or Ultegra components are servicable and good stuff for racing with. You will break some components, so they might as well be as cheap to replace as possible.

Here's a full carbon Fuji for a grand asking price: http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/bik/3179451634.html Flashing $750 would probably take it and I wouldn't want to pay much more for it. And...you can get a Pedo-meter with it!

A raceable Peugeot aluminum for $400 asking...I would peel off $250 and troll: http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/bik/3170188811.html

A clean Giant for $500: http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/bik/3135405257.html That's $300 worth of bike to me.

A vintage PX-10 for $250 asking: http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/bik/3176469704.html Worth the $250, but $200 would probably walk it home. These old road racers are still decent bikes to train and club race on.

Condition and fit are what matters.