What is the best chain for road bike time trialing with a triathlon crankset?

ad5at

Feb 18, 2005
Is it just me or has the holy war between Shimano, SRAM, and Campy fanboys reached new heights when it comes to chain selection for road bike time trialing with a triathlon crankset? I mean, seriously, cant we all just get along and agree on the best chain for the job?

Apparently not, because every time I bring it up, I get a bunch of condescending lectures about optimal chain line and narrow-wide tooth profiles and ultra-link thingamajigs. Newsflash: I just want to go fast, not win a PhD in Chain Dynamics.

So, lets cut to the chase: whats the best chain for road bike time trialing with a triathlon crankset? Is it the Shimano Ultegra CN-6701, the SRAM Red 22, or the Campy Record 11? Or is it something entirely different? And please, for the love of all things two-wheeled, spare me the its all about the installation nonsense. I want to know what chain will give me the most watts for my buck (or at least make me feel like Im getting the most watts for my buck).

Simply use a high-quality chain, like the KMC X11-SL, designed for 11-speed drivetrains with narrow-wide tooth profiles. It's proven to reduce chain drop and increase efficiency. Enough with the drama, focus on your pedal strokes. #cyclingbasics