The Common Cold

slasher

May 19, 2004
:confused: I am currently suffering from classic cold symptoms one day in,
I was going to ride 100km in 36 hours time, but I have heard it can be dangerous to exercise with this kind of virus, can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks for the advice in advance!

slasher said:
:confused: I am currently suffering from classic cold symptoms one day in,
I was going to ride 100km in 36 hours time, but I have heard it can be dangerous to exercise with this kind of virus, can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks for the advice in advance!
apparently my friend, when you participate in endurance sports it reduces the bodies immune system by 60% or so, so if you imagine, your already run down keep knocking that 60% off and your going to continue being ill, even prolonging the illness since your body will not be able to fight the virus.

i tryed this a couple of week ago and i prolonged the flu symtoms for over a month through continuing to ride because i didn't want to loose any of my gains. however after a week off the bike and 3 days of pure rest with vitamin B Complex and Vitamin C i'm back to normal almost, well 3minutes down, but i guess thats because i started smoking again whilst i was ill.

So i guess its time to rest up i'm afraid until your 100%

I've read that the best thing to do is: "Feed a flu, sweat out a cold".
In other words, make sure you eat and drink plenty of you've got the flu, and exercise can actually help to get rid of a cold, (by raising the body temperature to kill off infection and keeping things working).
Or it could be the other way around but I think thats right.

Courtancer said:
I've read that the best thing to do is: "Feed a flu, sweat out a cold".
In other words, make sure you eat and drink plenty of you've got the flu, and exercise can actually help to get rid of a cold, (by raising the body temperature to kill off infection and keeping things working).
Or it could be the other way around but I think thats right.
feed the flu sweat a cold.

i always thought it was feed an Ulcer starve a fever,

the body raises its tempreture to help improve the ability to fight a virus, but rest is the best cure, if you rap up warm and increase your body tempreture then thats most definately the best approach. increase intake of foods rich in vitamin C and B and zinc.

according to my vitamin bible
vitamin C 1000mg 3 times daily
vitamin A 25,000 IU [dry form] 1-3 times perday (take for 5 days and stop for 2)
Vitamin E 400 IU [dry form] 1-3 times perday
water consumtion of 6-8glasses of water perday
3 acidophilus capsules 3 times a day or 1-2 tbsp, liquid 3 times daily

closesupport said:
feed the flu sweat a cold.

i always thought it was feed an Ulcer starve a fever,

the body raises its tempreture to help improve the ability to fight a virus, but rest is the best cure, if you rap up warm and increase your body tempreture then thats most definately the best approach. increase intake of foods rich in vitamin C and B and zinc.

according to my vitamin bible
vitamin C 1000mg 3 times daily
vitamin A 25,000 IU [dry form] 1-3 times perday (take for 5 days and stop for 2)
Vitamin E 400 IU [dry form] 1-3 times perday
water consumtion of 6-8glasses of water perday
3 acidophilus capsules 3 times a day or 1-2 tbsp, liquid 3 times daily
A general rule is the "neck check". If all your symptoms are above the neck e.g. stuffy nose, then it is ok to strength train and do heart rate zone 1 recovery type swim, bike or runs. It can also help to loosen things up and help to drain it out. If you have any below the neck symptoms e.g. fever, aches, chest congestion, sore throat then a day off is in order. It could be caused by a virus and if it is the right kind, it could find itself attacking your heart muscle.