Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

The east valley ride

Started by GeeDubb · · Last activity · 7 posts · 365 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
12 December 2005
Last activity
13 December 2005
Original author
GeeDubb
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
365
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Only two of us showed up for the cool, overcast day of riding in the east
    valley. This is a fun area of trails with serpentine turns and some
    climbing if you want.

    It had been over a year since I was last out here. We pulled into the park
    parking lot only to see a sign reading "HOA members only) so we doubled back
    and parked in a turnout that will someday be another road leading to
    probably more HOA members only areas. There appeared to be a trail
    entrance right where we parked so I let Scott take the lead (he likes to
    lead....) and we managed to wind around and cross right through the HOA park
    back out to the street....... we keep going to the real trail head some 100
    yards or so North and head in a full pedal....only to come to a newly
    installed fence with warning/no trespassing signs....wtf, over?

    We again double back and cruise North through the neighborhood and find a
    left (dead end) that finally brings us to the long awaited trailhead. We
    ride w/o stopping much so there are only a couple of pix I took

    http://www.pchospital.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2918&g2_navId=x138fe4f8

    I never did warm up much on this ride due to no sunshine and evidently
    becoming a wus in my older years. I don't know what the temp was but the
    wind was blowing somewhat and it just seemed cooler than usual.

    Profile pic isn't quite as flat as R-A-L's was but then we didn't have snow
    to contend with. This would be a good ss ride if you stayed away from the
    one climb loop we did. Trails were mostly smooth with a lot of twisty.

    Gary

  2. GeeDubb said:

    Only two of us showed up for the cool, overcast day of riding in the
    east valley. This is a fun area of trails with serpentine turns and
    some climbing if you want.

    It had been over a year since I was last out here. We pulled into the
    park parking lot only to see a sign reading "HOA members only) so we
    doubled back and parked in a turnout that will someday be another road
    leading to probably more HOA members only areas. There appeared to be
    a trail entrance right where we parked so I let Scott take the lead (he
    likes to lead....) and we managed to wind around and cross right through
    the HOA park back out to the street....... we keep going to the real
    trail head some 100 yards or so North and head in a full pedal....only
    to come to a newly installed fence with warning/no trespassing
    signs....wtf, over?

    We again double back and cruise North through the neighborhood and find
    a left (dead end) that finally brings us to the long awaited trailhead.
    We ride w/o stopping much so there are only a couple of pix I took

    http://www.pchospital.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2918&g2_navId=x138fe4f8

    I never did warm up much on this ride due to no sunshine and evidently
    becoming a wus in my older years. I don't know what the temp was but
    the wind was blowing somewhat and it just seemed cooler than usual.

    Profile pic isn't quite as flat as R-A-L's was but then we didn't have
    snow to contend with. This would be a good ss ride if you stayed away
    from the one climb loop we did. Trails were mostly smooth with a lot
    of twisty.

    Gary

    Nice. Doesn't the Salt River go by South Mountain too? I seemed to
    recall stepping across it when I stayed at the Hilton Pointe some years
    ago (before the neighborhood around there got ugly).

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws


  3. Quoted message said:
    GeeDubb said:

    Only two of us showed up for the cool, overcast day of riding in the
    east valley. This is a fun area of trails with serpentine turns and
    some climbing if you want.

    It had been over a year since I was last out here. We pulled into the
    park parking lot only to see a sign reading "HOA members only) so we
    doubled back and parked in a turnout that will someday be another road
    leading to probably more HOA members only areas. There appeared to
    be a trail entrance right where we parked so I let Scott take the lead
    (he likes to lead....) and we managed to wind around and cross right
    through the HOA park back out to the street....... we keep going to
    the real trail head some 100 yards or so North and head in a full
    pedal....only to come to a newly installed fence with warning/no
    trespassing signs....wtf, over?

    This is why I think we should have right of way laws similar to Great
    Britain. As far as backcountry access goes there is nothing more
    offensive to me than some private community going in at the base of the
    foothills RIGHT at a trailhead or fireroad that has existed for 100
    years before their development. I believe it is highly immoral for a
    community of 20 or so people to block access to thousands or possibly
    millions of people. Historical rights of ways like these should have
    permanent easements.

    Greg

    --
    "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late
    The battles we fought were long and hard
    Just not to be consumed by rock and roll" - The Mekons

  4. G.T. said:
    Quoted message said:
    GeeDubb said:

    Only two of us showed up for the cool, overcast day of riding in the
    east valley. This is a fun area of trails with serpentine turns and
    some climbing if you want.

    It had been over a year since I was last out here. We pulled into the
    park parking lot only to see a sign reading "HOA members only) so we
    doubled back and parked in a turnout that will someday be another road
    leading to probably more HOA members only areas. There appeared to
    be a trail entrance right where we parked so I let Scott take the lead
    (he likes to lead....) and we managed to wind around and cross right
    through the HOA park back out to the street....... we keep going to
    the real trail head some 100 yards or so North and head in a full
    pedal....only to come to a newly installed fence with warning/no
    trespassing signs....wtf, over?

    This is why I think we should have right of way laws similar to Great
    Britain. As far as backcountry access goes there is nothing more
    offensive to me than some private community going in at the base of the
    foothills RIGHT at a trailhead or fireroad that has existed for 100
    years before their development. I believe it is highly immoral for a
    community of 20 or so people to block access to thousands or possibly
    millions of people. Historical rights of ways like these should have
    permanent easements.

    Greg

    I agree with that notion. Who does AZ think they are, CA?

    BTW, you should have called me back. I did a really cool ST ride in
    the SGs yesterday and finished well before dark.

    JD

  5. G.T. said:


    Quoted message said:
    GeeDubb said:

    Only two of us showed up for the cool, overcast day of riding in the
    east valley. This is a fun area of trails with serpentine turns and
    some climbing if you want.

    It had been over a year since I was last out here. We pulled into
    the park parking lot only to see a sign reading "HOA members only) so
    we doubled back and parked in a turnout that will someday be another
    road leading to probably more HOA members only areas. There
    appeared to be a trail entrance right where we parked so I let Scott
    take the lead (he likes to lead....) and we managed to wind around
    and cross right through the HOA park back out to the street.......
    we keep going to the real trail head some 100 yards or so North and
    head in a full pedal....only to come to a newly installed fence with
    warning/no trespassing signs....wtf, over?

    This is why I think we should have right of way laws similar to Great
    Britain. As far as backcountry access goes there is nothing more
    offensive to me than some private community going in at the base of the
    foothills RIGHT at a trailhead or fireroad that has existed for 100
    years before their development. I believe it is highly immoral for a
    community of 20 or so people to block access to thousands or possibly
    millions of people. Historical rights of ways like these should have
    permanent easements.

    They do in Colorado, although there is often a fight to maintain them.

    Shawn

  6. "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    GeeDubb said:

    Only two of us showed up for the cool, overcast day of riding in the
    east valley. This is a fun area of trails with serpentine turns and
    some climbing if you want.

    It had been over a year since I was last out here. We pulled into the
    park parking lot only to see a sign reading "HOA members only) so we
    doubled back and parked in a turnout that will someday be another road
    leading to probably more HOA members only areas. There appeared to be
    a trail entrance right where we parked so I let Scott take the lead (he
    likes to lead....) and we managed to wind around and cross right through
    the HOA park back out to the street....... we keep going to the real
    trail head some 100 yards or so North and head in a full pedal....only
    to come to a newly installed fence with warning/no trespassing
    signs....wtf, over?

    This is why I think we should have right of way laws similar to Great
    Britain. As far as backcountry access goes there is nothing more
    offensive to me than some private community going in at the base of the
    foothills RIGHT at a trailhead or fireroad that has existed for 100 years
    before their development. I believe it is highly immoral for a community
    of 20 or so people to block access to thousands or possibly millions of
    people. Historical rights of ways like these should have permanent
    easements.

    Greg


    In this case many of these trails are new so it's possible the houses were
    there first. I can also understand the HOA restricting access to their park
    since they paid for it....but the fence and no trespassing signs were due to
    a rock and gravel yard expanding. They may have owned the land long before
    the age of the mtb and just now decided to mine that area. In reality the
    trail access we lost wasn't but about a half mile but it was just irritating
    not knowing if we could access the trails w/o driving around (or in our
    case, riding around).

    Gary (I could be wrong....)

  7. GeeDubb said:
    Quoted message said:


    In this case many of these trails are new so it's possible the houses
    were there first. I can also understand the HOA restricting access to
    their park since they paid for it....

    Yeah, that I can understand.

    Quoted message said:

    but the fence and no trespassing
    signs were due to a rock and gravel yard expanding. They may have owned
    the land long before the age of the mtb and just now decided to mine
    that area. In reality the trail access we lost wasn't but about a half
    mile but it was just irritating not knowing if we could access the
    trails w/o driving around (or in our case, riding around).

    Yeah, as long as there is alternate access that's cool. But there are
    several places in the foothills around here where a private little gated
    development has gone in right where a forest service road or trail
    starts and no alternate access effectively blocking people from enjoying
    public lands.

    Greg

    --
    "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late
    The battles we fought were long and hard
    Just not to be consumed by rock and roll" - The Mekons

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.