The Gastrocnemius, Hamstring and the Pedal

edd

Jul 8, 2003

I was following a friend up a hill the other day, it had been a solid ride and we had maintained a very respectable pace the entire afternoon. As she got out of the saddle to honk up the last bit of this steepish hill I noted that in the bottom of her pedal stroke her heel continued down past the axis of the pedal.

Now please jump in if you think I’m wrong.... or if you think that my summation is wrong. But this appeared to be a pedaling action defect of some kind.

When we reached a flat section I rode up along side asked if she was aware of what she was doing, She smiled and said “get up this bloody big hill !”

I have in other threads stated that there is a need for (gastrocnemius soleus ) calf strength as the calf is recruited in knee flexion and to stabilize the foot through the pedaling action.

In my early years on the bike I would depend on my hip flexors to assist me when my quads tired. I’d sit and lift my knees in a deliberate action. This however ( I believe ) inflamed a predisposition I had to back pain as I have a loss of natural lordosis and scoliosis right at the base of my spine. I didn’t know it then.

I have since become an advocate of dragging one’s foot through the bottom of the pedal stroke recruiting the calf and the hamstring as a way of increasing power ( in relatively high cadence action ) through a tough section of a hill, even out of the saddle.....because I have very strong calf muscles. At times I feel like I’m going to rip the heels right out of the back of my shoes.

Now I know some of you are going to go on about the merit of a smooth circular action and some are going to denounce it.... my action is smooth...percentage of additional force is not such that it looks any different from observing...

Smooth pedal stroke is in my opinion as much to do with opposing force (what he other leg/foot is doing ) as much as it is to do with the stuff of one legged training. I read somewhere on this forum that most serious competitive riders actually produce more downward force ( percentage wise ) in their cycling action then recreational riders.

Before I start giving advice to another rider, I was wondering what you’s guys think ?

For hill climbing I usually stay seated and use my hamies. Concentrating on the pull with a cadence 90-120 gear, hill and lactic pending. I maight get out of the saddle at the end to use my upper quads and give the hamies a rest.

Brian

Have no idea what the bio mechs are here edd, but I was bought up on "Full Rotasion" theory. Alot of pro and con arguements float about on that at the moment but I was always tought to slightly point the toes while ripping the foot up. I cant see how you can get much power into an up stroke with your heal down...and I think you may loose some power at the bottom of your down stroke also. Only time I do heal down is if cramp is becoming an issue.

Originally posted by Fixey
Have no idea what the bio mechs are here edd, but I was bought up on "Full Rotasion" theory. Alot of pro and con arguements float about on that at the moment but I was always tought to slightly point the toes while ripping the foot up. I cant see how you can get much power into an up stroke with your heal down...and I think you may loose some power at the bottom of your down stroke also. Only time I do heal down is if cramp is becoming an issue.

I pedal with my foot almost level, the heel slightly up and lifting a bit through the bottom of the stroke, not much movement really. I've seen some extraordinary foot motion in some cyclists, seems like lost effort.

Back to the point...

I”m relating to the times when the hill is to steep, the gear to high and the tank (energy) to low. We reach out for more. I'll move between increasing my down push to pulling my heels to my butt, as I feel the fatigue becoming an issue. I also enjoy slight increases in heels to my butt pedaling effort to maintain high speed big gear momentum over undulating terrain.

Originally posted by edd

I”m relating to the times when the hill is to steep, the gear to high and the tank (energy) to low. We reach out for more. I'll move between increasing my down push to pulling my heels to my butt, as I feel the fatigue becoming an issue. I also enjoy slight increases in heels to my butt pedaling effort to maintain high speed big gear momentum over undulating terrain.

At this point I use everything I can. Mostly like you said I pull my heels to my butt while out of the saddle and pull with my arms. Of course, it's usually just the tank that is getting low on me, so I use whatever I can find?!!

I understand everything you are saying, but don't really know any real answers. I have a very stable foot that stays flat through the stroke. When I start tiring I usually end up out of the saddle as stated above. Right, wrong? I don't know, but I'm usually the first to the top??

As far as your friends heel continuing down, was it for a longer pull from the bottom?? I tend to toe down and have seen it a lot on hills, but I'm not sure i've seen the heel down.

Guess what I'm saying is I don't know...hmmm Thought I had something to add, but maybe I just enjoy typing?

Originally posted by edd

I have since become an advocate of dragging one’s foot through the bottom of the pedal stroke recruiting the calf and the hamstring as a way of increasing power ( in relatively high cadence action ) through a tough section of a hill, even out of the saddle.....because I have very strong calf muscles. At times I feel like I’m going to rip the heels right out of the back of my shoes.

I'm not sure I follow, but in your analysis, just remember this: power is basically (force x distance)/time and the distance part is constrained by the path of the crank. If you add calf movement (ankling?), you're removing movement of some other muscle, or just moving your ankle in a manner which doesn't add forward power (e.g. off axis force).

Originally posted by edd

I'm not sure I follow, but in your analysis, just remember this: power is basically (force x distance)/time and the distance part is constrained by the path of the crank. If you add calf movement (ankling?), you're removing movement of some other muscle, or just moving your ankle in a manner which doesn't add forward power (e.g. off axis force).

Originally posted by beerco

No ankle movement. Foot remains almost flat through most of my pedaling action, heel lifts a little coming out of the bottom of the stroke.

I'm talking sensory, push points etc.