The great Avocado experiment... (Tilia)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Katra, Feb 5, 2005.

  1. Katra

    Katra Guest

    Ok, got a bunch of old avocados cheap the other day... (free,
    they came in a box of lettuce leaves I got for the chickens!)

    I ended up composting about 50 of them, but 21 were salvagable.
    Obviously I could not leave them in their peels, they'd have finished
    going bad in no time!

    I've been putting off getting a Tilia for a long time now, so finally
    bought one.

    Vacuum sealed 3 per bag in 7 bags.

    It's been 4 days now and they are still nice and green. :) No turning
    brown.

    Cool.

    Dad's over-shopped for fresh produce this week also, so I took the two
    beautiful bunches of asparagus that he bought and "foodsaved" those as
    well. You know how quickly the tips of those tend to spoil, even at 40
    degrees! The packing is working well and they look as fresh as the day
    he bought them. :)

    I've done a lot of repackaging of stuff in the freezer this week.

    This is going to be great........

    Does anyone else use this thing to expand the life of fresh produce?????
    What kind of luck have you had? I'm betting this would work really
    really well for pre-peeled garlic cloves!

    Kat

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
    tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
    to use mental floss twice a day.

  2. nancree

    nancree Guest

    Hi, Katra,
    I'm interested in your method of saving avocados with your Tilia. But
    I'm unclear on one point--"they stayed green" means you removed them
    from the outer peel, and the inside (edible part) stayed green, right?
    Not the whole avocado, still in the peel.
    Thanks, Nancree

  3. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi, Katra,
    > I'm interested in your method of saving avocados with your Tilia. But
    > I'm unclear on one point--"they stayed green" means you removed them
    > from the outer peel, and the inside (edible part) stayed green, right?
    > Not the whole avocado, still in the peel.
    > Thanks, Nancree

    Right. :)
    You know how avocados turn brown and icky when you peel them.....

    These I cut in half, removed the seed and scooped them out with a large
    spoon into the tilia bag, (I put 6 halves in each bag) then vacuum
    sealed them. They are residing in the refrigerator and appear to be
    staying good with no additives. It's been 4 days now.

    I got the idea from our local grocery store. They sell some ready to eat
    peeled vacuum packed avocados in the refrigerated produce section.

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
    tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
    to use mental floss twice a day.

  4. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Katra wrote:
    > Ok, got a bunch of old avocados cheap the other day... (free,
    > they came in a box of lettuce leaves I got for the chickens!)
    >
    > I ended up composting about 50 of them, but 21 were salvagable.
    > Obviously I could not leave them in their peels, they'd have finished

    > going bad in no time!
    >
    > I've been putting off getting a Tilia for a long time now, so finally

    > bought one.
    >
    > Vacuum sealed 3 per bag in 7 bags.
    >
    > It's been 4 days now and they are still nice and green. :) No

    turning
    > brown.

    They've not turned brown because sealed they're not exposed to air, but
    refrigerator temps are too high, they will become rancid/rotten within
    a few days. You need to place them in the freezer.

    http://www.avocado.org/avocado-facts/fruit-selection.php

    Ripe fruit can be stored in the refrigerator uncut for two to three
    days.

    To store cut fruit, sprinkle it with lemon or lime juice or white
    vinegar and place it in an air-tight covered container in your
    refrigerator. Eat within a day or two.

    If refrigerated guacamole turns brown during storage, simply discard
    the top, browned layer.

    When you have an abundance of fresh fruit, consider freezing it.
    Although avocados are not satisfactorily frozen whole or sliced, pureed
    avocados freeze very well and can be used in salads, sandwiches and
    dips.

    Wash, seed and peel the fruit as described above.
    Puree the flesh, adding one tablespoon of lemon juice for each two
    pureed avocados. Pack the puree into a rigid container, leaving 1 inch
    of headspace.
    Seal and label the containers.
    Freeze and use within four to five months.
    ---

    Sheldon

  5. "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Does anyone else use this thing to expand the life of fresh produce?????
    > What kind of luck have you had?

    I pray to Anubis and Im-Ho-Tep cooks the Tanna Leaves and
    pours the stew over the food and it's good at least 5000 yrs.

  6. Tony P.

    Tony P. Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, Katra,
    > > I'm interested in your method of saving avocados with your Tilia. But
    > > I'm unclear on one point--"they stayed green" means you removed them
    > > from the outer peel, and the inside (edible part) stayed green, right?
    > > Not the whole avocado, still in the peel.
    > > Thanks, Nancree
    > >

    > Right. :)
    > You know how avocados turn brown and icky when you peel them.....
    >
    > These I cut in half, removed the seed and scooped them out with a large
    > spoon into the tilia bag, (I put 6 halves in each bag) then vacuum
    > sealed them. They are residing in the refrigerator and appear to be
    > staying good with no additives. It's been 4 days now.
    >
    > I got the idea from our local grocery store. They sell some ready to eat
    > peeled vacuum packed avocados in the refrigerated produce section.

    Ait, or more accurately oxygen is the enemy of most fruits and
    vegetables. By evacuating as much of the air as you can the avocados
    don't get a chance to turn brown, or oxidize.

    Oxygen is natures great corrosive. Water isn't far behind.

  7. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Katra wrote:
    > > Ok, got a bunch of old avocados cheap the other day... (free,
    > > they came in a box of lettuce leaves I got for the chickens!)
    > >
    > > I ended up composting about 50 of them, but 21 were salvagable.
    > > Obviously I could not leave them in their peels, they'd have finished

    > > going bad in no time!
    > >
    > > I've been putting off getting a Tilia for a long time now, so finally

    > > bought one.
    > >
    > > Vacuum sealed 3 per bag in 7 bags.
    > >
    > > It's been 4 days now and they are still nice and green. :) No

    > turning
    > > brown.

    > They've not turned brown because sealed they're not exposed to air, but
    > refrigerator temps are too high, they will become rancid/rotten within
    > a few days. You need to place them in the freezer.
    >
    > http://www.avocado.org/avocado-facts/fruit-selection.php

    Hey thanks Sheldon! :)
    I did not realize I could freeze Avocado!

    > Ripe fruit can be stored in the refrigerator uncut for two to three
    > days.
    >
    > To store cut fruit, sprinkle it with lemon or lime juice or white
    > vinegar and place it in an air-tight covered container in your
    > refrigerator. Eat within a day or two.

    Yes, I've done that... but I've gone further with a whole bunch of
    Strawberries dad bought. I'm not eating much fruit right now since I'm
    low carbing and I'm loathe to toss Straweberries, so I brandied them. ;-)
    The alcohol will keep them preserved for a _long_ time I suspect!

    > If refrigerated guacamole turns brown during storage, simply discard
    > the top, browned layer.
    >
    > When you have an abundance of fresh fruit, consider freezing it.
    > Although avocados are not satisfactorily frozen whole or sliced, pureed
    > avocados freeze very well and can be used in salads, sandwiches and
    > dips.

    Yeah, they were so soft anyway they will just end up being used for
    sauces or dips, so I guess freezing them might be the best answer.
    I'm going to open a package or two this afternoon and make some avocado
    sauce for the seafood stir fry I made last night.
    (more on that later).

    > Wash, seed and peel the fruit as described above.
    > Puree the flesh, adding one tablespoon of lemon juice for each two
    > pureed avocados. Pack the puree into a rigid container, leaving 1 inch
    > of headspace.
    > Seal and label the containers.
    > Freeze and use within four to five months.

    They could also be vacuum packed with care. There is a tilia technique
    to packing liquids like soups and sauces. Pre-freeze then pack them.

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
    tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
    to use mental floss twice a day.

  8. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Gorboner of Torros" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Does anyone else use this thing to expand the life of fresh produce?????
    > > What kind of luck have you had?
    > >

    > I pray to Anubis and Im-Ho-Tep cooks the Tanna Leaves and
    > pours the stew over the food and it's good at least 5000 yrs.

    <lol> Dehydrating and the use of dessicant packs is the ultimate
    answer...

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
    tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
    to use mental floss twice a day.

  9. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Tony P. <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi, Katra,
    > > > I'm interested in your method of saving avocados with your Tilia. But
    > > > I'm unclear on one point--"they stayed green" means you removed them
    > > > from the outer peel, and the inside (edible part) stayed green, right?
    > > > Not the whole avocado, still in the peel.
    > > > Thanks, Nancree
    > > >

    > > Right. :)
    > > You know how avocados turn brown and icky when you peel them.....
    > >
    > > These I cut in half, removed the seed and scooped them out with a large
    > > spoon into the tilia bag, (I put 6 halves in each bag) then vacuum
    > > sealed them. They are residing in the refrigerator and appear to be
    > > staying good with no additives. It's been 4 days now.
    > >
    > > I got the idea from our local grocery store. They sell some ready to eat
    > > peeled vacuum packed avocados in the refrigerated produce section.

    > Ait, or more accurately oxygen is the enemy of most fruits and
    > vegetables. By evacuating as much of the air as you can the avocados
    > don't get a chance to turn brown, or oxidize.
    >
    > Oxygen is natures great corrosive. Water isn't far behind.

    Yeppers... ;-)
    Those Asparagus I packed have been in there now for 5 days and there is
    no sign of rot.

    Man, they really got well evacuated too! The plastic is really tight.
    I want to make more jerky and pack it with dessicants. I had to toss a
    lot of my venison and emu jerky. :-( It got moldy........

    All that work down the drain!

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
    tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
    to use mental floss twice a day.

  10. Phred

    Phred Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Katra <[email protected]> wrote:
    >In article <[email protected]1g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Katra wrote:
    >> > Ok, got a bunch of old avocados cheap the other day... (free,
    >> > they came in a box of lettuce leaves I got for the chickens!)
    >> >
    >> > I ended up composting about 50 of them, but 21 were salvagable.
    >> > Obviously I could not leave them in their peels, they'd have finished
    >> > going bad in no time!
    >> >
    >> > I've been putting off getting a Tilia for a long time now, so finally
    >> > bought one. Vacuum sealed 3 per bag in 7 bags.
    >> > It's been 4 days now and they are still nice and green. :) No
    >> > turning brown.

    >> They've not turned brown because sealed they're not exposed to air, but
    >> refrigerator temps are too high, they will become rancid/rotten within
    >> a few days. You need to place them in the freezer.
    >>
    >> http://www.avocado.org/avocado-facts/fruit-selection.php

    >Hey thanks Sheldon! :) I did not realize I could freeze Avocado!
    >>
    >> Ripe fruit can be stored in the refrigerator uncut for two to three
    >> days.

    Mature but unripe avocados store well in the fridge for quite a long
    time. Just take them out a day or two before you want to use them and
    let them ripen fully at room temp.

    >> To store cut fruit, sprinkle it with lemon or lime juice or white
    >> vinegar and place it in an air-tight covered container in your
    >> refrigerator. Eat within a day or two.

    >Yes, I've done that... but I've gone further with a whole bunch of
    >Strawberries dad bought. I'm not eating much fruit right now since I'm
    >low carbing and I'm loathe to toss Straweberries, so I brandied them. ;-)
    >The alcohol will keep them preserved for a _long_ time I suspect!

    Doesn't anyone drink at your place? ;-)

    >> If refrigerated guacamole turns brown during storage, simply discard
    >> the top, browned layer.
    >>
    >> When you have an abundance of fresh fruit, consider freezing it.
    >> Although avocados are not satisfactorily frozen whole or sliced, pureed
    >> avocados freeze very well and can be used in salads, sandwiches and
    >> dips.

    >Yeah, they were so soft anyway they will just end up being used for
    >sauces or dips, so I guess freezing them might be the best answer.
    >I'm going to open a package or two this afternoon and make some avocado
    >sauce for the seafood stir fry I made last night. (more on that later).
    >
    >> Wash, seed and peel the fruit as described above.
    >> Puree the flesh, adding one tablespoon of lemon juice for each two
    >> pureed avocados. Pack the puree into a rigid container, leaving 1 inch
    >> of headspace.
    >> Seal and label the containers.
    >> Freeze and use within four to five months.

    >They could also be vacuum packed with care. There is a tilia technique
    >to packing liquids like soups and sauces. Pre-freeze then pack them.

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email protected]LID