UK and Europe · Public discussion

The Harrow egger

Started by Dave Kahn · · Last activity · 30 posts · 1,026 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
21 May 2004
Last activity
22 May 2004
Original author
Dave Kahn
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,026
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–30 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Fri, 21 May 2004 17:13:03 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email hidden]>

    wrote in message : said:

    Once, when I lived up that way, a passing pikey thought it would be amusing
    to heave a half-brick at a passing cyclist, viz. me. Fortunately he missed,
    but it's nice to know that the traditions are being passed on to the next
    generation.

    It happened to me in genteel Snorbens. Admittedly I knew the pikey in
    question, and it was mainly motivated by my going to the "wrong"
    school. The icing on the cake was when his parent brought him round
    afterwards to demand an apology because I had made a Rude Retort. I
    told my dad what had actually happened and he did his very best
    impression of a well-built 6'2" plus bloke with half a lifetime's
    experience of controlling classes of unruly teenagers (which was, I
    have to say, both Very Convincing[1] and somewhat frightening).
    Exeunt pikey stage left, defeated.

    [1] On account of him being - oh, I can see you've beaten me to it.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

  2. Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs" attachment about?

    I'd virus scan your PC if that wasn't intended :-)

  3. In news:[email hidden],
    Nathaniel Porter <[email hidden]> typed:

    Quoted message said:

    Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs" attachment about?

    I'd virus scan your PC if that wasn't intended :-)

    It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX execute permissions,
    despite being intended only to show on Outlook Express.

    A

  4. Simon Brooke said:

    This is obviously fertile ground for punsters. How many more will they
    crack?

    I think I'll have to give you lot the bird.

    You can't lay around here!

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ambrose Nankivell said:

    Nathaniel Porter <[email hidden]> typed:

    Quoted message said:

    Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs" attachment about?

    It's a bug in your so-called newsreader, of course. There was no attachment
    and your newsreader is telling stupid lies. That bug, exploited the other
    way round, helps to let the viruses in.

    Quoted message said:

    It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX execute permissions,

    Now that is even more bizarre. WTF do you suppose you're talking about?

    --
    Nick Kew

    Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/

  6. in message <[email hidden]>, Ambrose Nankivell

    (') said:

    In news:[email hidden],
    Nathaniel Porter <[email hidden]> typed:

    Quoted message said:

    Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs" attachment about?

    I'd virus scan your PC if that wasn't intended :-)

    It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX execute
    permissions

    Revelation 13:18

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; 'I think we should trust our president in every decision
    ;; that he makes and we should just support that'
    ;; Britney Spears of George W Bush, CNN 04:09:03

  7. Nick Kew said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ambrose Nankivell said:

    Nathaniel Porter <[email hidden]> typed:

    Quoted message said:

    Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs" attachment about?

    It's a bug in your so-called newsreader, of course. There was no attachment
    and your newsreader is telling stupid lies. That bug, exploited the other
    way round, helps to let the viruses in.

    Quoted message said:

    It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX execute permissions,

    Now that is even more bizarre. WTF do you suppose you're talking about?

    | begin 666 this_is_not_a_virus.vbs
    | There is no virus attached to this post.
    | end

    FWIW, Gnus also displays it as an "attachment". Are you sure you're
    thinking of the right thing?

    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
    Ignorance is strength

  8. In news:[email hidden],
    Nick Kew <[email hidden]> typed:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX execute
    permissions,

    Now that is even more bizarre. WTF do you suppose you're talking
    about?

    My bad, completely sorry. I assumed that in the "begin 666
    this_is_not_a_virus" the 666 was to look like chmod permissions, but of
    course that's globally writeable and not executable, anyway.

    Of course I know it's not going to have any effect on a POSIX system. That's
    why it struck me as amusing, but I guess I should have kept it to myself.

    A

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Keith Willoughby said:

    FWIW, Gnus also displays it as an "attachment". Are you sure you're
    thinking of the right thing?

    Hmmm ...

    In Gnus's case, one could imagine it to be some kind of legacy
    support for uuencoding. In M$'s case that's a great deal less
    plausible, because uuencoding had been obsolete for the better
    part of a decade before M$ ever heard of email.

    Even so it's broken.

    --
    Not me guv

  10. Pyromancer said:

    Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as
    dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email hidden]> breathed:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That was supposed to be a yolk, yes?

    Quoted message said:

    She poached it from someone else I think. But as the thread gets longer, I
    could be getting a bit scrambled up in my readings.

    But which came first, the egg or the chicken who threw it?

    And does anyone really give a cluck?

    Jeremy

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.