The Johnny Warren Jamberoo Classic

Waratah Park, Loftus
Sunday January 7, 2007 @ 7.30am

The Johnny Warren Jamberoo Classic is entering its fourth year and
serves as a fundraising event for the Sydney Cancer Foundation.

What started out as a friendly ride for SBS cycling program Cycling
Central, the event now serves to honour the late Australian Football
legend Johnny Warren who lost his own personal battle with cancer in
2004.

The 2006 event has received support of Cycling Australia, meaning the
event is covered for insurance purposes, as well as businesses in the
Kiama and metropolitan areas, which will all ensure that the 2006 event
is bigger and better than ever.

Organisers are aiming to attract 200 riders for this event, which
starts at Waratah Park in Loftus and conclude at Jamberoo Pub or
'Johnny's Pub', which is owned by the Warren family.

The start time will be 7.30am with anticipated stops along the way at
Otford, Wollongong and Shellharbour, the estimated finish time will be
12.30pm at Jamberoo Pub where old friends can catch up for lunch, a few
drinks, enjoy the friendly atmosphere, take a trip down memory lane by
viewing Johnny's life story thanks to an exclusive photo gallery and
be treated to a guest appearance from a prominent Australian folk
musician.

The ride will also be filmed for a segment to be screened on Cycling
Central.

Are entries still open? How much? Is it open to anyone or, does one have to be a registered to race?

Where can I find details?

Johhny was a legend - I'd love to support this.

Scotty

scotty72 wrote:
> Are entries still open? How much? Is it open to anyone or, does one have
> to be a registered to race?
>
> Where can I find details?

I'm pretty sure you just turn up sign in, make your donation and ride.
There's a number here to call

http://www21.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/index.php?pid=news&cid=103

With a bit of luck MT will wear that truely wonderful SBS kit from a
couple of years back

Parbs

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:45:01 +1100
scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Are entries still open? How much? Is it open to anyone or, does one have
> to be a registered to race?

Googling on "Johnny Warren Jamberoo Classic" says that it isn't a race
and you just turn up and donate money to the Cancer Foundation.

“The event has attracted world class riders in the past and while it
is not a race, is suited to the amateur rider looking for a healthy
Sunday challenge.”

Looks like you turn up to Waratah Park Loftus before 7:30am and look
for the cyclists.

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:45:01 +1100
> scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Are entries still open? How much? Is it open to anyone or, does one have
> > to be a registered to race?

No entry fee. I guess a donation would be nice though. Just turn up
before 7:30
There will likely be some world class riders as in past years. Many
people ride down from Sydney and turn back at Wollongong, but there is
likely to be a sizable bunch doing the whole ride.

I think there will be a few more people than they expected though, and
the level of rider (and competance) is likely to be quite a bit more
proficient than a Sydney to Gong ride.

I also agree than Johnny Warren was a legend.