UK and Europe · Public discussion

The Last Laugh (I hope)

Started by Paul Boyd · · Last activity · 18 posts · 795 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
7 December 2006
Last activity
14 December 2006
Original author
Paul Boyd
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
795
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I work in Weston-super-Mare, an area currently being battered by very
    stormy winds and rain. All day long my workmates (I use the term
    loosely!!) have been taking the pee about me being on my bike in this
    weather...

    The M5 is closed between Highbridge (Jcn 22) and Avonmouth (Jcn 18A)
    because of lorries blown over. The first rat-run is the A370, which has
    just been announced as also being closed. The next rat-run is the A38,
    which is now the only route from the SW into and through Bristol. Even
    the road running in front of the estate (A371) is blocked solid. There
    are basically no routes out of Weston for drivers. My workmates all
    live outside Weston.

    So in an hour I'll pop onto my bike and toddle off as normal, and arrive
    home in 15 minutes or so, maybe windswept, maybe wet, but home. Even if
    I have to walk.

    I really am trying hard not to feel too smug :-)

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  2. Paul Boyd wrote on 07/12/2006 17:01 +0100:

    Quoted message said:

    I work in Weston-super-Mare, an area currently being battered by very
    stormy winds and rain. All day long my workmates (I use the term
    loosely!!) have been taking the pee about me being on my bike in this
    weather...

    The M5 is closed between Highbridge (Jcn 22) and Avonmouth (Jcn 18A)
    because of lorries blown over. The first rat-run is the A370, which has
    just been announced as also being closed. The next rat-run is the A38,
    which is now the only route from the SW into and through Bristol. Even
    the road running in front of the estate (A371) is blocked solid. There
    are basically no routes out of Weston for drivers. My workmates all
    live outside Weston.

    So in an hour I'll pop onto my bike and toddle off as normal, and arrive
    home in 15 minutes or so, maybe windswept, maybe wet, but home. Even if
    I have to walk.

    I really am trying hard not to feel too smug :-)

    Don't forget to let them know you are just popping off home when you
    leave. Schadenfreude can be a satisfying thing ;-)

    --
    Tony

    "...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
    wildly inaccurate..."
    Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

  3. "Paul Boyd" <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I really am trying hard not to feel too smug :-)

    Nah. Smug it up big time.

  4. Tony Raven said the following on 07/12/2006 19:01:

    Quoted message said:

    Don't forget to let them know you are just popping off home when you
    leave. Schadenfreude can be a satisfying thing ;-)

    Oh I did, and it was!

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  5. Paul Boyd said:

    The M5 is closed between Highbridge (Jcn 22) and Avonmouth (Jcn 18A) <snip>
    he A370, which has just been announced as also being closed.


    <snip> (A371) is blocked solid. There

    Quoted message said:

    are basically no routes out of Weston for drivers. My workmates all
    live outside Weston.


    Know the feeling. Enjoy listening to their war stories about how their
    BMWs were stationery nose to tail for hours and hours. Then chip in
    with a poite enquiry as to whether they saw any cyclists whizzing
    past. Maybe talk about the excellent meal you had at 6.30, when they
    were sitting in the aforementioned car park. Ask them how big their
    engines are. Sympathise; it must be such a shame having 150bhp under
    the bonnet and only be able to drive as far as the rear bumper of the
    car in front.

    Be smug. Be holier than thou. Be really annoying! Enjoy it. You've
    earned it.

    Peter.

  6. al Mossah said:

    Be smug. Be holier than thou. Be really annoying! Enjoy it. You've
    earned it.

    Exactly how those of us with enough sense to use a car feel on the
    other 364 days of the year when we're sitting in warm, dry comfort
    listening to the radio, while you slog up a hill in the rain freezing
    your [censored] off.

    :-)

    Steve.

  7. Quoted message said:
    al Mossah said:

    Be smug. Be holier than thou. Be really annoying! Enjoy it. You've
    earned it.

    Exactly how those of us with enough sense to use a car feel on the
    other 364 days of the year when we're sitting in warm, dry comfort
    listening to the radio, while you slog up a hill in the rain freezing
    your [censored] off.

    Umm.. if it is rain, it ain't freezing. Laws of physics still apply on
    this planet.

    Last time I got my car services I looked at the bill and realised I
    could have bought a really nice bike for that..

    ...d

  8. Quoted message said:

    Exactly how those of us with enough sense to use a car feel on the
    other 364 days of the year when we're sitting in warm, dry comfort
    listening to the radio, while you slog up a hill in the rain freezing
    your [censored] off.

    :-)

    Yebbut us commuters get pretty girls feeling up our legs down t'pub.

  9. Quoted message said:

    Exactly how those of us with enough sense to use a car feel on the
    other 364 days of the year when we're sitting in warm, dry comfort
    listening to the radio,

    I'd heard cars were expensive, but surely if you have to work 365 days a
    year to pay for one then it really isn't worth it.

    Quoted message said:

    while you slog up a hill in the rain freezing
    your [censored] off.

    Eh? Freezing while slogging up a hill? Surely those are two mutually
    exclusive conditions?

    Anyway, I *love* freezing mornings. I love wheeling my bike out of the
    house, getting on and riding past all the poor motorists who have to
    scrape the ice off their cars before they can go anywhere :-)

    --
    Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
    Reply address is valid, but that on my website is checked more often
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  10. David Martin wrote on 08/12/2006 14:50 +0100:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    al Mossah said:

    Be smug. Be holier than thou. Be really annoying! Enjoy it. You've
    earned it.


    Exactly how those of us with enough sense to use a car feel on the
    other 364 days of the year when we're sitting in warm, dry comfort
    listening to the radio, while you slog up a hill in the rain freezing
    your [censored] off.

    Umm.. if it is rain, it ain't freezing. Laws of physics still apply on
    this planet.

    Last time I got my car services I looked at the bill and realised I
    could have bought a really nice bike for that..

    Last time someone expressed incredulity that I had taken a 3.5hr bike
    and train journey that they had done in two hours in the car, I pointed
    out that I had had wasted half an hour and had a productive 3 hours
    working on the train while they had wasted their two hours driving the car.

    --
    Tony

    "...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
    wildly inaccurate..."
    Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

  11. Quoted message said:

    Yebbut us commuters get pretty girls feeling up our legs down t'pub.

    Dammit, clearly I'm going to the wrong pubs! It's never happened to me
    yet...

  12. Quoted message said:

    Exactly how those of us with enough sense to use a car feel on the
    other 364 days of the year when we're sitting in warm, dry comfort
    listening to the radio, while you slog up a hill in the rain freezing
    your [censored] off.

    If it's a slog up a hill, YOU'RE IN THE WRONG GEAR. I mean, even a
    sickly so-and-so like me can ride up the 1 in 4 hill in good weather
    if I pick the bottom gear and 1-in-4s are almost always avoidable.
    Stop being so proud and change down a gear.
    --
    MJR/slef
    http://mjr.towers.org.uk/

  13. Quoted message said:
    al Mossah said:

    Be smug. Be holier than thou. Be really annoying! Enjoy it.
    You've earned it.

    Exactly how those of us with enough sense to use a car feel on the
    other 364 days of the year when we're sitting in warm, dry comfort
    listening to the radio, while you slog up a hill in the rain freezing
    your [censored] off.

    Dancing up a hill, snug in my togs, smelling the rain, watching the cagers
    get madder and fatter and sadder, feeling the blood flow and my lungs open
    up, leaving the stress of the office behind and working up a nice appetite
    for tea.

    Love life don't hide from it.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:
    Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

    --
    Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
    ------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDem

  14. Danny Colyer said the following on 08/12/2006 16:01:

    Quoted message said:

    Eh? Freezing while slogging up a hill? Surely those are two mutually
    exclusive conditions?

    No hills on my commute to get me warmed up :-( (Well, there is a gentle
    rise that some people consider a hill, but it really isn't!)

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, I *love* freezing mornings. I love wheeling my bike out of the
    house, getting on and riding past all the poor motorists who have to
    scrape the ice off their cars before they can go anywhere :-)

    That neatly sums up my feelings! A cold, crisp morning is wonderful for
    cycling. On the rare occasion when I do need to use my car for my 2.5
    mile trip to work in winter, it takes longer to scrape ice than to drive!

    As for wet and windy, either/or is fine. Both together are fine so long
    as the rain isn't horizontal into my face :-(

    I keep getting comments like "Did you get a bit wet then?" on rainy
    mornings. "Nope, that's why I have waterproofs" is the bleedin' obvious
    answer!

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  15. Brian said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yebbut us commuters get pretty girls feeling up our legs down t'pub.

    Dammit, clearly I'm going to the wrong pubs! It's never happened to me
    yet...

    You are. The rest of us have to beat them off with sticks.

  16. Mark Thompson wrote on 08/12/2006 15:39 +0100:

    Quoted message said:


    Yebbut us commuters get pretty girls feeling up our legs down t'pub.

    That's only because you're discussing leg hair removal methods with them ;-)

    --
    Tony

    "...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
    wildly inaccurate..."
    Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

  17. Quoted message said:
    al Mossah said:

    Be smug. Be holier than thou. Be really annoying! Enjoy it. You've
    earned it.

    Exactly how those of us with enough sense to use a car feel on the
    other 364 days of the year when we're sitting in warm, dry comfort
    listening to the radio, while you slog up a hill in the rain freezing
    your [censored] off.

    :-)

    Steve.

    why if it's possible why not bike? while i'm despertly unimpressed with
    the rail network, i love to be able to ride to work like my SO can.

    roger

  18. Quoted message said:
    al Mossah said:

    Be smug. Be holier than thou. Be really annoying! Enjoy it. You've
    earned it.

    Exactly how those of us with enough sense to use a car feel on the
    other 364 days of the year when we're sitting in warm, dry comfort
    listening to the radio, while you slog up a hill in the rain freezing
    your [censored] off.

    :-)

    Steve.

    Oh, aye - all those car drivers that I glide past in the mornings and
    evenings look very smug - it is "smug" when your veins are standing out
    in your forehead, your eyes are nearly popping out and you look like
    you're snarling, isn't it?

    Mined ewe, I'm not sure they can hear the radio as they all seem to be
    nearly permanently shouting at each other. Car drivers seem to be such
    a friendly lot in the mornings...

    Adam.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.