General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

The Lost Ice Cream Weekend...burp!

Started by hahabogus · · Last activity · 37 posts · 368 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 September 2007
Last activity
9 September 2007
Original author
hahabogus
Posts
37
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
368
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 37
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well my ice cream maker came today...it has to sit a minimum of 24 hours
    upright and level before use. So I figure Saturday afternoon or evening
    I'll be making quart after quart of Ice cream. I figure Friday night to
    make up a good vanilla base then chill it in the fridge overnight and go
    from there...

    Any flavour suggestions?

    --

    The house of the burning beet-Alan

    It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
    Elbonian Folklore

  2. "hahabogus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well my ice cream maker came today...it has to sit a minimum of 24 hours
    upright and level before use. So I figure Saturday afternoon or evening
    I'll be making quart after quart of Ice cream. I figure Friday night to
    make up a good vanilla base then chill it in the fridge overnight and go
    from there...

    Any flavour suggestions?

    First, try vanilla. Then you'll know how good it really tastes. Then go
    from there.
    What did you buy.
    Thanks.
    Dee Dee

  3. "Dee Dee" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:fbq9lp$j2$1
    @registered.motzarella.org:

    Quoted message said:

    What did you buy.

    A Ice Cream Maker is what I bought...did you think I bought a slow cooker?

    A cuisinart compressor jobie...ICE-50BC is the model number...Chris D made
    me do it...She's mean.

    --

    The house of the burning beet-Alan

    It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
    Elbonian Folklore

  4. hahabogus said:

    "Dee Dee" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:fbq9lp$j2$1
    @registered.motzarella.org:

    Quoted message said:

    What did you buy.

    A Ice Cream Maker is what I bought...did you think I bought a slow cooker?

    A cuisinart compressor jobie...ICE-50BC is the model number...Chris D made
    me do it...She's mean.

    That looks like a really nice toy. I have an Il Gelataio that I adore.
    I wonder who actually makes the Cuisinart one?

    You know you've lost it when you crave a SECOND compressor ice cream
    machine.....

    Boron

  5. hahabogus said:

    Well my ice cream maker came today...it has to sit a minimum of 24 hours
    upright and level before use. So I figure Saturday afternoon or evening
    I'll be making quart after quart of Ice cream. I figure Friday night to
    make up a good vanilla base then chill it in the fridge overnight and go
    from there...

    Any flavour suggestions?

    Vanilla, made with real vanilla. Top with sliced strawberries, hot
    fudge sauce and big fat salty pecan chunks.

  6. hahabogus said:

    "Dee Dee" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:fbq9lp$j2$1
    @registered.motzarella.org:

    Quoted message said:

    What did you buy.

    A Ice Cream Maker is what I bought...did you think I bought a slow cooker?

    A cuisinart compressor jobie...ICE-50BC is the model number...Chris D made
    me do it...She's mean.

    You didn't decide to buy one until I posted that I bought one,
    copycat.

    neerer neener

    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.

  7. Alan said:

    Well my ice cream maker came today...it has to sit a minimum of 24 hours
    upright and level before use. So I figure Saturday afternoon or evening
    I'll be making quart after quart of Ice cream. I figure Friday night to
    make up a good vanilla base then chill it in the fridge overnight and go
    from there...

    Any flavour suggestions?

    I am intrigued by this recipe:

    http://haverchuk.blogspot.com/2006/05/ice-cream-project-egg-ice-cream.html

    Here are the comments which made me so interested:

    "I stole the idea for egg ice cream from the chef of The Fat Duck in London,
    Heston Blumenthal, who makes a bacon and egg ice cream that captivates
    everyone who tries it. When I first heard about this I thought the egg part
    was just fanciful, since ice cream often contains eggs (my regular recipe
    calls for eight yolks per quart of dairy). But upon further research I
    learned that HB actually makes the ice cream taste especially eggy by using
    lots and lots of egg--24 yolks in Chef Heston's recipe--and by overcooking
    the custard. Ordinarily you stop cooking a custard at 170 F/77 C, but if you
    keep heating it up it will curdle and...curdled eggs are eggiest. HB heats
    his mixture to 85 C/185 F, which causes them to thicken considerably. Then
    he whizzes in a blender and passes the mixture through a sieve. The blender
    step might actually be to pulverize the bacon but I included it anyway.

    The results are an ice cream that tastes only of egg and sugar, like the
    Platonic ideal of egginess. Chinese egg custard [censored] are similar in flavor,
    completely different in texture and temperature. Making custard with a high
    proportion of yolks also ups the fat content and adds emulsifiers, which
    gives the ice cream a texture I do not hesitate to call sublime."

    (Note that the recipe on the web site has a mistake in it; the custard is
    supposed to be heated to 185F, not 185C.)

    Bob

  8. hahabogus said:

    Well my ice cream maker came today...it has to sit a minimum of 24 hours
    upright and level before use. So I figure Saturday afternoon or evening
    I'll be making quart after quart of Ice cream. I figure Friday night to
    make up a good vanilla base then chill it in the fridge overnight and go
    from there...

    Any flavour suggestions?

    Chicken Fat Ripple! 😉

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28

  9. hahabogus said:


    A cuisinart compressor jobie...ICE-50BC is the model number...Chris D made
    me do it...She's mean.

    I take no responsibility for your transgressions. You didn't HAVE to
    buy it....you were totally on your own there...😉

    Me, I am saving up my money for one....

    Christine

  10. sf said:

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 01:58:52 GMT, hahabogus <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A cuisinart compressor jobie...ICE-50BC is the model number...Chris D made
    me do it...She's mean.

    You didn't decide to buy one until I posted that I bought one,
    copycat.

    neerer neener

    Did you buy the Cuisinart self refrigerating unit? I thought you got
    the one with the cylinder that needs to be prefrozen. The one Alan is
    talking about is self contained and doesn't need that.

    Christine

  11. sf said:

    You didn't decide to buy one until I posted that I bought one,
    copycat.

    neerer neener

    For a couple of days, I was tempted to buy one, too.<g> I decided to
    stick with my old, out-dated electric ice cream freezer. It still
    works, I used it last weekend.

    Becca

  12. Christine Dabney said...

    Quoted message said:

    I take no responsibility for your transgressions. You didn't HAVE to
    buy it....you were totally on your own there...😉

    Me, I am saving up my money for one....

    Christine

    And down in New Mexico it's ice cream season year round! ---O (spoon)

    Andy

  13. Christine Dabney said:
    hahabogus said:


    A cuisinart compressor jobie...ICE-50BC is the model number...Chris D made
    me do it...She's mean.

    I take no responsibility for your transgressions. You didn't HAVE to
    buy it....you were totally on your own there...😉

    Me, I am saving up my money for one....

    Wow, you really ARE channelling the cook-in meanies, aren't you?! Not
    only are you a Cook-In Overachiever, you are the Cook-In Queen of
    Mean!!

    TammyM, beginning to be thankful she didn't go to the cook-in.... <jk>

  14. (TammyM) said:

    Wow, you really ARE channelling the cook-in meanies, aren't you?! Not
    only are you a Cook-In Overachiever, you are the Cook-In Queen of
    Mean!!

    TammyM, beginning to be thankful she didn't go to the cook-in.... <jk>

    Naw...Alan and I go back and forth like this, over utensils,
    cookbooks, etc.
    It all started several years ago in chat, when he was lusting after
    one of my cookbooks, Dessert Circus by Jacques Torres. As far as I
    know, he still hasn't gotten that book. He keeps on lusting after
    mine. 😉 It's all in good fun. 😉

    Christine

  15. Andy q said:

    And down in New Mexico it's ice cream season year round! ---O (spoon)

    Andy

    No, it's not. I don't know why folks keep on assuming that NM is
    always warm, or even hotter than other places. Yes, southern NM can
    be brutal, but those of us in northern NM have real seasons, and it
    can get bitterly cold in the winter. Not bitterly cold as in bay area
    "bitterly cold", but really cold. Like into single digits.

    People forget that we are at a higher altitude and that this makes a
    difference. It is already starting to dip down into the lower 50s at
    night here, and it is starting to only hit the mid 80s during the day.
    By next month, the nights will be downright chilly.

    Christine

  16. Christine Dabney said...

    Quoted message said:
    Andy q said:

    And down in New Mexico it's ice cream season year round! ---O (spoon)

    Andy

    No, it's not. I don't know why folks keep on assuming that NM is
    always warm, or even hotter than other places. Yes, southern NM can
    be brutal, but those of us in northern NM have real seasons, and it
    can get bitterly cold in the winter. Not bitterly cold as in bay area
    "bitterly cold", but really cold. Like into single digits.

    People forget that we are at a higher altitude and that this makes a
    difference. It is already starting to dip down into the lower 50s at
    night here, and it is starting to only hit the mid 80s during the day.
    By next month, the nights will be downright chilly.

    Christine

    Christine,

    OK, I forgot as well. My old college bud up in Weed (7,000 ft "high" up in
    the Rockies) gets more than his share of winter.

    I guess I mis-associated the weather with your neighbor state, AZ and Sun
    City where it was 90 F. at 9am, and I sunburned in 10 minutes. Probably in
    July.

    I saved a bookmark for your ABQ weather for future reference:

    http://www.tinyurl.com/yxxv9r

    You can use the ---o for soup!?? 🙂

    Andy

  17. hahabogus said:


    Well my ice cream maker came today...it has to sit a minimum of 24 hours
    upright and level before use. So I figure Saturday afternoon or evening
    I'll be making quart after quart of Ice cream. I figure Friday night to
    make up a good vanilla base then chill it in the fridge overnight and go
    from there...

    Any flavour suggestions?

    Rum and Raisin. Make up a batch of custard and while it is cooling,
    macerate a cup of Sultana raisins in dark rum. Stick the raisins and rum in
    the freezer for a while so that they alcohol will get cold enough not to
    inhibit the freezing of the custard and then add it to the base when it is
    almost set in the machine.

  18. "Dee Dee" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    "hahabogus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well my ice cream maker came today...it has to sit a minimum of 24
    hours upright and level before use. So I figure Saturday afternoon or
    evening I'll be making quart after quart of Ice cream. I figure
    Friday night to make up a good vanilla base then chill it in the
    fridge overnight and go from there...

    Any flavour suggestions?

    First, try vanilla. Then you'll know how good it really tastes. Then
    go from there.
    What did you buy.
    Thanks.
    Dee Dee

    Well I'm gonna do ben and Jerrys heath bar crunch as the first
    attempt....the base is presently sitting in the fridge chilling. The
    heath bars are going to be skor bits. And I'll probably add some chopped
    semi sweet chocolate to the mix as well to round up for the cup of
    crumled heath bar pieces.

    The recipe looks striaght forward and not too complicated for a first
    attempt. More or less better to get your feet wet first before runnig
    full bore into the ocean kinda recipe.

    Saturday looks to be a good day. No a great one. Even if I have to eat a
    failure.

    2 large eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 cups heavy cream
    1 cup whole milk
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    4 heath bars

    using a knife chopp uo the heath bars.
    Whisk the eggs till light and fluffy. Slowly whisk in the sugar. Untill
    fully blended
    Pour in the milk, cream and vanilla whisk to blend.
    Refridgerate over night

    freeze using ice cream manufacturers instruction...
    After ice cream stiffens add heath bar chunks about 2 minute before ice
    cream is ready.

    --

    The house of the burning beet-Alan

    It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
    Elbonian Folklore

  19. Andy q said:

    Christine Dabney said...

    Quoted message said:

    I take no responsibility for your transgressions. You didn't HAVE to
    buy it....you were totally on your own there...😉

    Me, I am saving up my money for one....

    Christine

    And down in New Mexico it's ice cream season year round! ---O (spoon)

    Aha... Andy, the accountant, has almost amortized it for you!

    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.

  20. Christine Dabney said:

    People forget that we are at a higher altitude and that this makes a
    difference. It is already starting to dip down into the lower 50s at
    night here, and it is starting to only hit the mid 80s during the day.
    By next month, the nights will be downright chilly.

    Mid '50s.... brrrr

    😉

    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.