The next Taylor Phinney?

On Apr 14, 9:27 am, Dan Gregory
<[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Apr 13, 4:35 pm, stig <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Andrew_Fenn_Takes_Junior_ParisRou...

> > Nothing special about a Jr winning a Jr race.  You sort of expect,
> > don't you???

> 121km on the PR course is not just any Jr race. Special I would say -
> ask Geraint Thomas.

Would you suggest that anyone who won that race was "the next Taylor
Phinney"?

Fred's point, with which I agree, is that of course a Jr won the
race. It was a JR race.

Now, if you want to talk special, what about the Slipstream neo-pro
finishing fourth at the real Paris Roubaix?

On Apr 14, 3:46 pm, stig <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 9:17 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > On Apr 13, 4:35 pm, stig <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Andrew_Fenn_Takes_Junior_ParisRou....

> > Nothing special about a Jr winning a Jr race.  You sort of expect,
> > don't you???

> > Now, if he'd won the Pro race, that would be different, wouldn't it?

> > Fred

> The Jr TT World Championship was "just" a Jr race.
>
> Quite a stink was made of THAT accomplishment!

Yeah, winning a World championship was a pretty big thing, but no one
declared T Phinney the next Lance or the next Greg based on that
result. It wasn't until he started doing individual pursuits against
the big boys that folks started really thinking of mini-Phinney as the
next big thing.

Keeping in mind that the history of cycling is replete with stellar
Jr.s who burn out in their early 20's, never to be heard of again,
being the next Taylor Phinney ain't saying much. Its like saying that
Fenn is the next great Jr very likely to soon quit the sport.

I'm not taking him seriously until he wins Masters races. Then we'll
know he's got what it takes to make a career of the sport.

Fred