The REAL Reason for license fee increases

"Free" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> No. Either the attorney is billing the hours to the client or he isn't.
>> Pro bono means that the attorney's labor is not being billed. It is
>> usually used in the area of charity work, which I suppose, USAC actually
>> is in perhaps more ways than one.

> Brian -
>
> I recall, in the distant past, how one lofty, senior partner regarded
> pro-bono (which is not always free - it can be at reduced rates, also).
> He said to tell him how much the reduced fee was, the rate, and he could
> calculate the hours he had spent - backwards.

I would not consider a discounted rate to a for profit client to be pro bono
publico. To a not for profit the discounted portion would be pro bono.
Either way the lawyer isn't billing for actual hours worked.

I also recall a partner in one firm I worked at refer to the weekly time
sheet as the weekly novella.

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:56:32 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> If
>the attorney in question did in fact do the work for USAC pro bono, then
>USAC was not billed as Crit Pro alleges.

Implies. The $ 100,000 could also be seen as a non sequitor, relating
to other work, tossed in to kick start a thread.

I have to say that I read the $ 100,000 as not being related to the
article, once I read the article. Even if the attorney had billed for
the work, $ 100,000 would have required IMO a lot of sandbagging to
rack up 500 or so hours for that one task. 500 hours for 8 hours worth
of work seems excessive, even down here in DC. Well, unless we're
talking the government or something.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

> Well, New York will probably reach out and bite them in Colorado.
> Their attorney general Spitzer is forging ahead when people are
> looking for guidance. What he forces into place in NY will be the de

He's also doing great work busting eBay scams and phony auctions.

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

> Implies. The $ 100,000 could also be seen as a non sequitor, relating
> to other work, tossed in to kick start a thread.

Dumas, I KNOW how to spell non-sequitur.
(Gratuitous comment about not using them to cut hedges deleted).

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

> Implies. The $ 100,000 could also be seen as a non sequitor, relating
> to other work, tossed in to kick start a thread.

Dumas, I KNOW how to spell non-sequitur.
(Gratuitous comment about not using them to cut hedges deleted).

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:34:11 +1300, Stewart Fleming
<[email protected]> wrote:

>He's also doing great work busting eBay scams and phony auctions.

So we're saying that USAC is working eBay? So maybe the USAC-certified
Postal frame ridden by Lance maybe ISN'T really worth $ 20,000? Wonder
if I can get the Center's money back...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:35:11 +1300, Stewart Fleming
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dumas, I KNOW how to spell non-sequitur.
>(Gratuitous comment about not using them to cut hedges deleted).

What the hell, Dumas is the best thing I've been called in a long
time. I know what he's written, but I can't remember if he did the
novels or the screenplays.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:35:11 +1300, Stewart Fleming
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Dumas, I KNOW how to spell non-sequitur.
>>(Gratuitous comment about not using them to cut hedges deleted).

> What the hell, Dumas is the best thing I've been called in a long
> time. I know what he's written, but I can't remember if he did the
> novels or the screenplays.

I believe that he wrote an adaptation of the Count of Monte Cristo as a
teleplay for ABC.

In article <[email protected]>,
"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > B. Lafferty wrote:

> >> You do know what pro bono meads, right?

> > Certainly not an amateur bono!

> Nor a Sonny Bono.

He's in favor of that guy who sings for U2...

"It's fooking great!"

--
tanx,
Howard

"It looks like the squirrel's been showing everybody
where he keeps his nuts."

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

> "crit pro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7182.0.html
>>
>> USA Cycling paid Dan McCloud over $100,000 in lawyer consulting fees in
>> 2004.
>>
>> Duh!
>>
>> cp

> That may or may not be true, but not according to the VeloNews article:
>
> On the advice of an attorney, Bisceglia notified the board, and then the
> board asked attorney Dan McCloud to serve as outside counsel in the
> matter, a service Hellman says the attorney performed pro bono.
>
> You do know what pro bono meads, right?

That one is anti-Cher?

Howard Kveck wrote:
> He's in favor of that guy who sings for U2...

And tours Africa with soon-to-retire US Treasury Secretaries.

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:00:00 GMT, "Sam" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> You do know what pro bono meads, right?
>>

>That one is anti-Cher?

No, free drinks on the house, way back when.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...