General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

The ways of bacon

Started by RobtE · · Last activity · 8 posts · 278 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 November 2005
Last activity
18 November 2005
Original author
RobtE
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
278
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The recent thread(s) about peameal bacon have got me doing a bit of
    researching, and I think I've finally got my head around bacon
    terminology. As I understand it, it works something like this:

    The UK has three kinds of bacon - back, streaky and middle. Back bacon
    if from the loin, streaky from the belly, and middle from in between the
    other two.

    In the UK, you can get all three types of bacon in either smoked or
    unsmoked. "Unsmoked" is what used to be called "green" bacon. I can see
    how the use of "green" dropped out of fashion. It doesn't conjure up an
    appetising picture. My guess is that the meaning of "green" in this
    sense is related to green fruit (as in "unripe"😉 or green timber (as in
    "not seasoned"😉 - basically, not yet ready.

    In the US, "bacon" means streaky bacon. "Canadian bacon" means bacon
    from the loin, or what in the UK is called "back bacon".

    So the question is, is this right or have I missed something?

    RobtE

  2. RobtE said:


    The recent thread(s) about peameal bacon have got me doing a bit of
    researching, and I think I've finally got my head around bacon
    terminology. As I understand it, it works something like this:

    The UK has three kinds of bacon - back, streaky and middle. Back bacon
    if from the loin, streaky from the belly, and middle from in between the
    other two.

    In the UK, you can get all three types of bacon in either smoked or
    unsmoked. "Unsmoked" is what used to be called "green" bacon. I can see
    how the use of "green" dropped out of fashion. It doesn't conjure up an
    appetising picture. My guess is that the meaning of "green" in this
    sense is related to green fruit (as in "unripe"😉 or green timber (as in
    "not seasoned"😉 - basically, not yet ready.

    In the US, "bacon" means streaky bacon. "Canadian bacon" means bacon
    from the loin, or what in the UK is called "back bacon".

    So the question is, is this right or have I missed something?

    I've read that in Eire the word bacon can include cured ham. Anyone
    know if it's true? It gives better meaning to the expression "Bring
    home the bacon."

  3. Canadian bacon is cured similarly to ham not smoked and dried like bacon.

    Lynne

    bacon
    a fabricated cut of the pork carcass, cut from the sides and belly; consists
    of fat interspersed with strands of meat; it is salted and/or smoked,
    available sliced or in a slab.

    Canadian bacon
    Function: noun
    : bacon cut from the loin that has little fat and is cut into round or
    oblong slices and cured.

    "RobtE" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The recent thread(s) about peameal bacon have got me doing a bit of
    researching, and I think I've finally got my head around bacon
    terminology. As I understand it, it works something like this:

    The UK has three kinds of bacon - back, streaky and middle. Back bacon if
    from the loin, streaky from the belly, and middle from in between the
    other two.

    In the UK, you can get all three types of bacon in either smoked or
    unsmoked. "Unsmoked" is what used to be called "green" bacon. I can see
    how the use of "green" dropped out of fashion. It doesn't conjure up an
    appetising picture. My guess is that the meaning of "green" in this sense
    is related to green fruit (as in "unripe"😉 or green timber (as in "not
    seasoned"😉 - basically, not yet ready.

    In the US, "bacon" means streaky bacon. "Canadian bacon" means bacon from
    the loin, or what in the UK is called "back bacon".

    So the question is, is this right or have I missed something?

    RobtE

  4. I once checked out a book from the University library on curing bacon.
    It was published in the UK and intended for the ag/tech school market.
    Bacon, in the book's context, included the whole pig which was cured.
    Smoking was an option. The book went on to say that the main source of
    the cured carcasses was Denmark. Don't know what current usage is in
    this regard.

    D./M.

  5. King's Crown said:

    Canadian bacon
    Function: noun
    : bacon cut from the loin that has little fat and is cut into round or
    oblong slices and cured.

    Thanks. That confirms what I suspected.

    RobtE

  6. King's Crown said:

    Canadian bacon
    Function: noun
    : bacon cut from the loin that has little fat and is cut into round or
    oblong slices and cured.

    Thanks. That confirms what I suspected.

    RobtE

  7. D.A.Martinich said:

    I once checked out a book from the University library on curing bacon.
    It was published in the UK and intended for the ag/tech school market.
    Bacon, in the book's context, included the whole pig which was cured.
    Smoking was an option.

    Yes, I've got 3 or 4 books written for the professional chef/advanced
    amateur chef. Those published in the UK seem to be saying the same thing
    as you found.

    RobtE

  8. D.A.Martinich said:

    I once checked out a book from the University library on curing bacon.
    It was published in the UK and intended for the ag/tech school market.
    Bacon, in the book's context, included the whole pig which was cured.
    Smoking was an option.

    Yes, I've got 3 or 4 books written for the professional chef/advanced
    amateur chef. Those published in the UK seem to be saying the same thing
    as you found.

    RobtE

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.