There is a serious need for defensive cycling!

I think the safest way to cycle is to assume everyone else on the road is an idiot.

My Specialized Allez Elite, at just 3 weeks old, was written off while passing through a roundabout. I entered the roundabout and this guy stops at his entrance. I've got my lights flashing away and naturally assume the guy is giving way to me. There's no way he could not have seen me had he been paying attention to what was on the roundabout. As I pass in front of him, he pulls out and drives over my front wheel.

The pedestrian who was looking to cross the street behind his car even mentioned in her statement that she could see me, and she had no reason to even be looking in my direction. Drivers can be so oblivious it's scary.

thomas_cho said:
Why do you see a need for a driver to handle their vehicle at high speeds? Is there a need to travel at 80km/h across a roundabout? Negotiating bends at 100km/h using the throttle to keep traction? I think the emphasis should be knowing the dangers of driving at high speeds, and appreciating the need to slow down, and drive defensively.
Yep, I do see a need. simple. High speeds occure all the time. M4 for example. 110km/h. One day it was drizzly, I ws in the centre lane sitting on about 95/100, when some goose piled into my lane. no warning, no indicator. I has to pile on the skids, and being a Ute with **** in the tray, the back end tried to lead the way. :eek: So, here I am, in a 1300kg bobsled, doing now about 80, somewhat sideways, lotsa left lock, and pooing myself. I managed to get the car straight, with no real trouble and kept on my way. It was a case of 2nd gear, sink the right foot and wheel spin my way to recovery. I have been told by 2 instructors thats a real no-no, but its wht I was taught by my dad, and it works.
Some times wou cant avoid getting into trouble at high speeds, and is nice to know how to get outta it, and its not always a case of simply driving slow. Yeah, high speeds are dangerous, but not if you know what to do. Slow speeds in a hgh speed area are most dangerous. People get frustrated, and try to pass you. Sometines resulting in me racing (at high speed) to the fire truck :(

I had confirmation that the driver of a HiLux 4x4 was an idiot.

Came from behind at speed and squeezed me out on a round-about. *******! but wait theres more. As idiot speeds away I spy with my little eye the one thing that truly makes my blood boil!!!!
Has anyone else seen those stickers on the back of cars in the shape of Aust with the words F*%K off were full. Not only is he an idiot driver, he's advertising that he's a racist ***** aswell.

Truth be 90% of the drivers are cool and careful. So why do the 10% manage to find me?

Pedestrians, don't get me started on pedestrians.