minneapolis.craigslist.org3386583403.htmlOpen ↗
I'm fairly tall at around 6 ft 4, the bike is being sold to me for 600 bucks. I want to start cycling more seriously so is this a decent first racing bike?? i really need the advice, thanks.
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
Bike buying advice · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
minneapolis.craigslist.org3386583403.htmlOpen ↗
I'm fairly tall at around 6 ft 4, the bike is being sold to me for 600 bucks. I want to start cycling more seriously so is this a decent first racing bike?? i really need the advice, thanks.
ask the seller for the size of the wheels, to me they look like 26' size (mountain bike size), for a road bike you want 29' or 700 x (23),
Quoted post said:Originally Posted by miltowndown [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/3386583403.html
I'm fairly tall at around 6 ft 4, the bike is being sold to me for 600 bucks. I want to start cycling more seriously so is this a decent first racing bike?? i really need the advice, thanks.
IMO, bikes with EITHER smaller than normal OR larger than normal frames can warrant a premium over the middle-of-the-range frames (53cm-to-57cm) ...
And, FWIW, even if the shifters needed to be replaced (heck, I would recommend eventually replacing them with a pair of 11-speed Campagnolo shifters which will mate with the existing 9-speed Shimano drivetrain), 'I' would normally say that it IS "worth it."
BUT, I think that vspa is probably correct about the wheel size being smaller than 700c (the current "norm"😉 ...
And, while there is definitely a place for 650c wheels, the advantages generally for a shorter than 5'1" rider OR for competitive Triathletes who are trying to gain an aerodynamic edge by lowering the bike-and-rider and thereby reducing the aerodynamic drag ...
However, AFAIK, the smaller wheels are NOT acceptable for other types of competition if you think THAT will ever be a concern to you.
The selection of 650c tires is less, and they will wear out sooner simply due to more-rotations-per-mile if all other things are equal ...
Consequently, if 'I' were you then I would probably consider other options.
BTW. The particular CANNONDALE has a very short (57.5cm) top tube for a rider who is 6'4" tall ...
YOU would probably want a bike whose top tube is at least 60cm long ...
And, a 62cm top tube might be better for you.
I wouldn't pay $600 for that bike, especially given that it's about 10 years old or so.
Quoted post said:Originally Posted by vspa [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
ask the seller for the size of the wheels, to me they look like 26' size (mountain bike size), for a road bike you want 29' or 700 x (23),
I think it's an optical illusion due to the 64cm frame--a frame that big always looks funny.
Quoted post said:Originally Posted by alienator [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
I wouldn't pay $600 for that bike, especially given that it's about 10 years old or so.
Yeah, maybe $300 if everything works. The last ten years have been murder on obsolescence.
Regarding the fit, it looks like a very moderately proportioned 64 cm bike; the top tube is only about 3-4 cm shorter than the seat tube. The seller is obviously challenged when it comes to reading a measuring tape. He's also a bit optimistic about the size range of riders for this bike. Anything shorter than 6'5" might be a stretch, but for you the proof would be in the test ride.
There aren't too many customers for a 64 cm Cannondale. Check it out. If it fits, ask him if he really wants to sell it or keep it in his garage for another 10 years.
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.