rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

This whole hour record thing

Started by David Stone · · Last activity · 8 posts · 209 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
1 March 2005
Last activity
2 March 2005
Original author
David Stone
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
209
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Pete, I'm still bothered by the idea of 'setting' a record that is only a
    record in name. You were not the first to achieve a particular speed
    record, and any of several people could break the 'record' any time. I
    agree that it's great to promote unicycling and to inspire people to climb
    to new heights, but I really wish that the 'record' were a bit more
    unreachable.

    So I was wondering: Do you think that with more training, you could get
    accustomed to riding that speed monster a bit faster? I mean, if you could
    comfortably ride at, say, 17 mph for a full hour, then you'd have an
    accomplishment under your belt that almost no one else could (currently)
    lay claim to, with the possible exceptions of Ken, Christian, and possibly
    my brother John. If you could maintain 18 mph (fast, oh my! But not too
    high a cadence thanks to the virtual wheel size), then we could more
    surely say that no one has ever maintained that speed for an hour -- it
    could be a true record.

    As I noted in my earlier posts, you've accomplished some wonderful work
    with the geared unicycle, and it's really impressive that you've ridden so
    fast 'at your age' (I'm almost there myself, so I really don't think of it
    as too old!). So kudos to you for those things and more.

    When I read the Guiness Book, I'm not looking at each entry to see which
    diamond was the largest _submitted_ or which person was the heaviest
    _submitted_. I'm looking for the largest or heaviest, period. Records
    should go into the book when they are marks of notable achievement, with
    the understanding that they haven't already been broken or aren't what
    many other people could do.

    So I hope you can shatter your own record soon (officially, of course).
    Alternatively, I hope you inspire someone soon to go after the record
    (officially, of course). It would almost make sense to have an open race
    (at the velodrome of your choice!) where we could invite riders who would
    like to pursue the official record with all the Guiness requirements met.
    One hour later, we'd know who owned the record. In fact, this sounds like
    a fun idea for a uni convention race -- something to consider for the
    upcoming conventions. But it's a little bizarre talking about a record
    that is only a record in name but not in fact.

    Get back on that thang and hit 18mph, please!

    David Stone

    PS: I have no problem with the fact that the 'record' was set with a
    geared uni. As U-Turn and many others have noted, it's not about the
    contruction of the uni but about the speed of that uni, and no one can
    doubt that what you were riding was a unicycle! I think you're going to
    set the tone for unlimited races of the future, and in many ways, you're
    way ahead of us Neandertals. Keep it up!

  2. "Get back on that thang and hit 18mph, please!"

    Perhaps the greatest benefit of that record is the enthusiasm created.
    Now all kinds of folks will be excited to start fiddling with new geared
    unis and ticking the "record" higher and higher. That's progress, and
    that's the adventure of new experiences amongst friends mutually stoked,
    which is what it's all about.

    But man, is it gonna hurt when you go down!

    JL

    --
    vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38622

  3. I submitted the following to the forum back in 2001:

    "I took Ken's advice and measured an "out and back" 25K (15 mile) course
    with my car. If mile markers are accurate, then so is my odometer. My
    car's odometer showed exactly 1 mile from mile marker to mile marker. I
    don't know if this is the most accurate method of measurement, but for
    now it will have to do.

    I used a dirt road as a marker (perpendicular to the course) as a
    7.5-mile"halfway" turn around point. Unfortunately, while riding I
    turned at a dirt road that was only 7.2 miles into the ride. I realized
    that it was the wrong marker slightly after I turned. So, what was
    intended to be a 15-mile (25K) time trial, ended up being 14.4 miles.
    Next time I will complete the 15 miles!

    Total time for the 14.4 miles was 1 hour 51 seconds. This would make the
    average speed at about 14.2 MPH. The ride was extremely intense. I
    expected the ride to involve more skill than fitness. Turning the cranks
    fast enough to average 15 miles an hour for 15 miles does take skill and
    practice. Surprisingly, I had the skill to turn the cranks faster than I
    was, however my lungs would not allow me to do so! Unicycling will test
    your level of fitness in a hurry!

    A 1-hour 25K flat out and back time trial is a good goal for people to
    try and realize. I think that with training most can achieve this mark,
    however it will not be easy. Expect to suffer while attempting it! As
    with any activity there will be a few that will be able to meet the
    challenge easily. A genetically gifted rider in good condition should
    see 55 minutes or less. Nevertheless, anyone who completes this
    challenge in 1 hour or less has my respect. I hope all of you give it a
    try. I am confident that I can do it within the next couple of months.

    BTW-- I did the above ride on a Coker with 5-inch cranks. Tire pressure
    was 50 pounds"

    dan

    Note that this was a reply to David Stone posting a much faster ride.
    Also note that the late Unibiker posted a time will over 15 MPH for an
    hour.

    That said, I agree with David in that someone needs to post a faster
    time.

    dan

    --
    dan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    dan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/78
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38622

  4. David Stone: please send me your current e-mail address to

    gharper*at*u*dot*washington*dot*edu

    OOW wants to do an article on geared unicycles and I volunteered your
    input since you put about 150 miles on one. Negative input is VERY
    welcome in this article.

    That ends my thread jack.

    The record set by Pete in no way indicates the top average speed
    attainable in one hour, Pete's conditioning or ability, the integrity of
    his equipment, or the definition of a unicycle. I think even Roger
    Davies could go out cold on an ungeared Coker and beat Pete's distance
    flat and there are many others, including yourself, who could do the
    same. Pete did go to the trouble of trying to make this an official
    record. Christian Hoverath would have blown him off the velodrome. But
    Christian didn't do the paperwork.

    I personally don't care about records and I'm certainly too lazy to
    arrange to make one official. Ken Looi and Pete Peron DO care and DID do
    the work. And it generated some excitement both times. Pete himself will
    admit that he's not a hot rider but he will also argue adamantly for
    improvements in speed riding technology. It appears that he has pushed
    the right buttons. Fast riders are responding.

    --
    harper - TANKED at GASWORKS

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    JC is the ONLY main man. (except for Ken Looi)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38622

  5. Thank you Harper my inventive cohort!

    Mind you, Guinness has yet to approve my distance, and until they do so,
    it's not an official Guinness world record.

    Right now, the Guinness folks are the only ones who recognize this.
    Guinness has (and when the IUF gets around to passing new regulations,
    they will have) certain standards for an official record attempt. So
    unless you meet those standards in your rides, it won't be accepted as
    the official record. If you want an unofficial record, hey go for it.
    But the next person to break the hour record will have to do it with
    proper track certification, officials, witnesses, no drafting, etc. and
    then submit the paperwork just like Ken Looi and I did. That's what
    makes it "official".

    And yes, because I was averaging over 15 until my crash very near the
    end, I know I can go faster. I was admittedly nervous, and the first
    time you do an attempt like that you tend to be. But without promising
    anything, I just may try do it again sometime.

    --
    unisk8r - One Wheel Wander
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38622

  6. David Stone said:

    *Pete, I'm still bothered by the idea of 'setting' a record that is
    only a record in name. You were not the first to achieve a particular
    speed record, and any of several people could break the 'record' any
    time. I agree that it's great to promote unicycling and to inspire
    people to climb to new heights, but I really wish that the 'record'
    were a bit more unreachable.*

    Sheesh, seems like this one has really gotten under your skin David. The
    "record only in name" concept happens in all sorts of sports, but that
    doesn't make the records that exist less valid. Let's use competitive
    swimming or speed skating as examples. There are doubtless examples
    where a top athelete's "personal best" in a practice session comes in
    better than the current world or olympic records held by someone else.
    There is probably some lifeguard in Australia that has swam a mile in
    open ocean faster than the current world record. Do either of those
    examples invalidate the world or olympic records? No...because the
    records were set under the rules and circumstances sanctioned by the
    governing body, and the practice session and ocean swim don't meet the
    standards. I don't think Pete ever claimed to be the fastest at
    anything...just that he bested the existing record under the rules and
    circumstances sanctioned by the governing body. Obviously there are
    people that could go faster and further in an hour. You claim to be one
    of them, and maybe you are. But doing it as part of a larger event or
    group ride introduces other factors into the equation. The ability to
    draft, for instance. and variations in terrain, ups and downs, etc. In
    this case, Guinness has established rules and circumstances that must be
    met for an attempt to be considered a world record by their criteria.
    Pending their review and approval, Pete took the time and care to
    execute his ride within those rules and circumstances, and bested the
    previously established mark. No more or less. Interesting that no one
    seemed to know or care or have issue with that previously established
    mark.

    If you really wish that the record were a bit more unreachable, why not
    go make it so? If the pen is mightier than the sword, go make the pedal
    mightier than the pen.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

    "By George! The man's a genius!"
    Murde Mental

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tomblackwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3762
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38622

  7. tomblackwood said:

    *...There is probably some lifeguard in Australia that has swam a mile
    in open ocean faster than the current world record. Do either of those
    examples invalidate the world or olympic records? No...because the
    records were set under the rules and circumstances sanctioned by the
    governing body, and the practice session and ocean swim don't meet the
    standards. *

    Right, but imagine if there were a meet where some of the top racers
    competed but only the 2nd place finisher submitted the ... oh, never
    mind.

    I totally get the point you're trying to make, but in this case, Ken
    topped the 'record' during his 24-hour ride, so off the bat, the new
    attempt looks less like a superlative and more like a record only on
    paper.

    As for putting my pedal where my mouth is (unpleasant as that sounds):
    To the best of my knowledge, I have no easy access to a velodrome or
    other closed track. I can't imagine wanting to take the time to get all
    of the documentation for Guiness (according to my bro, who researched a
    adifferent record, they can be nigh on impossible to contact and
    virtually no one at their HQ knows the answer to your questions, which
    is understandable given the vastness of their recordkeeping). If there
    were a sanctioned event (as I mentioned earlier), then I'd be happy to
    compete, tho I know that quite a few people could beat me. I only
    mentioned my own riding to illustrate that this 'record' is not as fast
    as it sounds, esp since it was done on a uni capable of going so much
    faster.

    Pete, from your earlier reply, it sounds like you're already setting
    sights on 16 mph or faster. Go for it!!! I'm sure you could do it -- and
    then some. But seriously, protect yourself well from UPDs -- I would
    not like to think about what a 20mph UPD could produce.

    And finally, it is great that we're all excited about setting records
    and talking about the IUF (and even Guiness). Let's hope this all leads
    to something fun.

    David

    --
    David_Stone
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38622

  8. David_Stone said:

    *To the best of my knowledge, I have no easy access to a velodrome or
    other closed track.*

    The *Kissena Velodrome* is located in Kissena Park in *-Flushing,
    Queens, N.Y.*-

    The entrance is on Booth Memorial Ave. at the intersection of Parsons
    Blvd.

    I don't think you could ask for a closer, more convenient location!

    Regarding the paperwork... if Pete can do it, you can do it (if you
    really wanted to 🙂)!

    --
    HardcoreCokerRider - Skateparks, MTB & Urban Insanity
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HardcoreCokerRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8529
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38622

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.