This will make you laugh...

Stuqpr

Apr 19, 2010
First of all, hello!

I have just been given a bike from a relative. It is a Rayleigh Boulder and if that wasn't bad enough it has been rotting in the garden for years :eek: . My cousin got it road worthy so hopefully it's not about to fall to pieces (well not today anyhow). Have you stopped laughing yet? :D;)

Anyhow, I haven't had a bike in 22 years and needed a workhorse. It weighs a ton, is not exactly pretty but will do the job. I even bought a new saddle today to find out I need a new post to put it on as the current one is so old it won't fit! The joys!

I hope that I can meet people here and get some friendly advice on occasion.

Hope I at least made you smile. Cheers! :)

stevegreer said:
Welcome to the site! Hey, there is nothing better than a free bike!
There is no such thing as a "free" bike! He has already invested in a new saddle and now he needs a new seatpost. Every bike I receive gets new cables, seat bag mount, and handlebar tape at a minimum.

Welcome to the sport and the forum. For your seat post, look on eBay for a bargain. Before you go shopping, measure the diameter of your old seat post and make sure that you are getting the same diameter on the new seat post.

Btw, if your seat post is just a peice of pipe with one end smaller than the other, then you have a universal seat post. The clamp is still attached to the old seat rails. If you loosen the nuts all the way, you can pull it apart and off your old saddle and install it on your new saddle. Just be sure to note how it comes apart so that you can reassemble it correctly.

Ah, Cheers for the replies! Yes, I will have to try and see what I can find on ebay and the like. I am rather happy to at last have a bike as it's been a very long time!

Stuqpr said:
Ah, Cheers for the replies! Yes, I will have to try and see what I can find on ebay and the like. I am rather happy to at last have a bike as it's been a very long time!

Just wondering... how's the bike coming?

concord said:
Just wondering... how's the bike coming?

Well, as it happens I have been given another bike in the meantime, one that's been fixed up by a friend bike mechanic. Its an old Ridgeback Day 01 and it's a dream! I now use this one most of the time and to say I am happy with it doesn't come close. I love riding this but need to get new tyres really when money allows.

I still have the other one which is better for tow-paths and the like, I don't want to risk getting the Ridgeback damaged with it's slicker tyres. (Shame really).

Thanks for your interest!

Cheers

Stu

Stuqpr said:
I hope that I can meet people here and get some friendly advice on occasion.

Hope I at least made you smile. Cheers! :)

Wow, I never heard of a garden decorative bike being turned back into a runner, that's great and funny.

You should get mostly but friendly advice here, it may not alway's be 100% correct but it will be friendly!!

If it doesn't make you laugh it will make you cry. Lol funny story a bike rotting in a garden and now somebody is going to finally ride it. Good job it is a shame to let a bike sit and rot.

I know your going to make it to be the coolest bike around. There is just something about gifts. You tend to care them even more than the ones you actually spend your money on. Good luck.