Road Cycling · Public discussion

Thoughts on a car-free vacation

Started by Gooserider · · Last activity · 16 posts · 823 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
28 July 2005
Last activity
29 July 2005
Original author
Gooserider
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
823
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My two weeks vacation came up this week, and at the same time my car
    had a freakout. I started leaking oil, so I had the car towed to my
    brother's garage. Long story short, the oil filter came loose and I paid him
    to do a general tuneup(he's saving for a BMX). He's not fast, so I was
    without a car from last Friday until today. So, without a car I turned to my
    bikes.
    Fine by me, as I have a new Gunnar and a Brooks B17 to break in. While
    using my bike to do everything---shop, ride to the next town for a movie,
    get mail, etc, I had an epiphany. I understood why I like bicycling. I rode
    a lot as a kid/teenager, especially in the summer. My days consisted of
    waking at 8 and riding until 6PM or so, going everywhere and doing
    everything. I felt that same rush this week.
    I think cycling is my excuse to act like a kid. I enjoy sprinting from
    stoplights, crossing 4 lane divided highways, hopping curbs, and flying
    through parking lots. I know that's kind of hooliganish, but it's a break
    from my work life. I work in a dental office, and I have to be very
    professional and act responsibly. When I'm on a bike I feel like it's 1984
    and I'm wearing checkered Vans and riding my BMX to the Sip n Go with a
    pocket full of quarters. Am I weird, or does anybody else get this?

    Mike

  2. On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:25:56 GMT, "Gooserider" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    My two weeks vacation came up this week, and at the same time my car
    had a freakout. I started leaking oil, so I had the car towed to my
    brother's garage. Long story short, the oil filter came loose and I paid him
    to do a general tuneup(he's saving for a BMX). He's not fast, so I was
    without a car from last Friday until today. So, without a car I turned to my
    bikes.
    Fine by me, as I have a new Gunnar and a Brooks B17 to break in. While
    using my bike to do everything---shop, ride to the next town for a movie,
    get mail, etc, I had an epiphany. I understood why I like bicycling. I rode
    a lot as a kid/teenager, especially in the summer. My days consisted of
    waking at 8 and riding until 6PM or so, going everywhere and doing
    everything. I felt that same rush this week.
    I think cycling is my excuse to act like a kid. I enjoy sprinting from
    stoplights, crossing 4 lane divided highways, hopping curbs, and flying
    through parking lots. I know that's kind of hooliganish, but it's a break
    from my work life. I work in a dental office, and I have to be very
    professional and act responsibly. When I'm on a bike I feel like it's 1984
    and I'm wearing checkered Vans and riding my BMX to the Sip n Go with a
    pocket full of quarters. Am I weird, or does anybody else get this?

    Mike

    Bravo. Post of the week. :-D

    jj

  3. Gooserider said:

    My two weeks vacation came up this week, and at the same time my car
    had a freakout. I started leaking oil, so I had the car towed to my
    brother's garage. Long story short, the oil filter came loose and I paid him
    to do a general tuneup(he's saving for a BMX). He's not fast, so I was
    without a car from last Friday until today. So, without a car I turned to my
    bikes.
    Fine by me, as I have a new Gunnar and a Brooks B17 to break in. While
    using my bike to do everything---shop, ride to the next town for a movie,
    get mail, etc, I had an epiphany. I understood why I like bicycling. I rode
    a lot as a kid/teenager, especially in the summer. My days consisted of
    waking at 8 and riding until 6PM or so, going everywhere and doing
    everything. I felt that same rush this week.
    I think cycling is my excuse to act like a kid. I enjoy sprinting from
    stoplights, crossing 4 lane divided highways, hopping curbs, and flying
    through parking lots. I know that's kind of hooliganish, but it's a break
    from my work life. I work in a dental office, and I have to be very
    professional and act responsibly. When I'm on a bike I feel like it's 1984
    and I'm wearing checkered Vans and riding my BMX to the Sip n Go with a
    pocket full of quarters. Am I weird, or does anybody else get this?

    Mike

    I have also read about those biking vacations you can take in the UK and
    elsewhere where you bike through the beautiful countryside during the
    day and some poor soul hauls your luggage around to the next bed and
    breakfast before the next night's stop. It is a more grown up kind of
    vacation than you're talking about, but would be enjoyable, such as it is.

    As for remembering your childhood, that is part of the appeal of biking
    though I would much rather have my road bike than my old Western Flyer.

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Gooserider said:

    So, without a car I turned to my
    bikes.

    Maybe you'll be able/allowed to keep it that way :-)

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Gooserider said:

    So, without a car I turned to my
    bikes.

    Maybe you'll be able/allowed to keep it that way :-)

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  6. You need 2 months off for a coast to coast tour.
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com

  7. You need 2 months off for a coast to coast tour.
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com

  8. "Gooserider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    <snip> I think cycling is my excuse to act like a kid. I enjoy
    sprinting from

    Quoted message said:

    stoplights, crossing 4 lane divided highways, hopping curbs, and flying
    through parking lots. I know that's kind of hooliganish, but it's a break
    from my work life. I work in a dental office, and I have to be very
    professional and act responsibly. When I'm on a bike I feel like it's 1984
    and I'm wearing checkered Vans and riding my BMX to the Sip n Go with a
    pocket full of quarters. Am I weird, or does anybody else get this?

    Mike

    Oh, man. I'm so with you Mike.

    May we never grow up!

    Chris

  9. "Gooserider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    <snip> I think cycling is my excuse to act like a kid. I enjoy
    sprinting from

    Quoted message said:

    stoplights, crossing 4 lane divided highways, hopping curbs, and flying
    through parking lots. I know that's kind of hooliganish, but it's a break
    from my work life. I work in a dental office, and I have to be very
    professional and act responsibly. When I'm on a bike I feel like it's 1984
    and I'm wearing checkered Vans and riding my BMX to the Sip n Go with a
    pocket full of quarters. Am I weird, or does anybody else get this?

    Mike

    Oh, man. I'm so with you Mike.

    May we never grow up!

    Chris

  10. "catzz66" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have also read about those biking vacations you can take in the UK and
    elsewhere where you bike through the beautiful countryside during the day
    and some poor soul hauls your luggage around to the next bed and breakfast
    before the next night's stop. It is a more grown up kind of vacation than
    you're talking about, but would be enjoyable, such as it is.

    This is pretty close to what our Canadian Rockies tour was like, except they
    also arranged three meals a day and snacks for us, including some more
    remote areas where there were few services, and we really would have had to
    have planned ahead.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  11. "catzz66" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have also read about those biking vacations you can take in the UK and
    elsewhere where you bike through the beautiful countryside during the day
    and some poor soul hauls your luggage around to the next bed and breakfast
    before the next night's stop. It is a more grown up kind of vacation than
    you're talking about, but would be enjoyable, such as it is.

    This is pretty close to what our Canadian Rockies tour was like, except they
    also arranged three meals a day and snacks for us, including some more
    remote areas where there were few services, and we really would have had to
    have planned ahead.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  12. You are just another car-addicted American. Without car, your life is
    like nothing
    like something is missing in your life...

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    You are just another car-addicted American. Without car, your life is
    like nothing
    like something is missing in your life...

    So go take your rant to rec.autos.driving.

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  14. Gooserider wrote:

    I started leaking oil, so I had the car towed------
    ------------------------------------------------

    Shouldn't you have gone to a Urologist, instead?

    Steve McDonald

  15. "Gooserider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My two weeks vacation came up this week, and at the same time my car
    had a freakout. I started leaking oil, so I had the car towed to my


    ....

    Quoted message said:

    and I'm wearing checkered Vans and riding my BMX to the Sip n Go with a
    pocket full of quarters. Am I weird, or does anybody else get this?

    Cool! I get it very well. Cutting through the woods to the 7-11 or Tony's
    Pizza for an Italian sub. Other ones: carrying an 8' G&S single fin while
    riding my Raleigh road bike along the boulevard looking for the best break.
    It made turns "fun" and braking was impossible. I still have scars on my
    knees 25 years later from wiping out on my bike carrying heavy surfboards to
    the beach. Most of the time I didn't care about the scrapes, but got very
    upset about dinging my board!..that is until I got in the ocean...ouch! The
    best memories though are from when I moved back to the beach for a year when
    I was 25 and cruised the same boulevard on my Jamis beach bike while my 6
    month old dog ran alongside at breakneck speed (usually pulling me on the
    leash!). He only got his tail caught in the spokes once! He died at 12
    from cancer this past January and was a good friend:

    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/dukes909/MVC-009S.jpg

    Cheers!

  16. "Dukester" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Gooserider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My two weeks vacation came up this week, and at the same time my car
    had a freakout. I started leaking oil, so I had the car towed to my


    ...

    Quoted message said:

    and I'm wearing checkered Vans and riding my BMX to the Sip n Go with a
    pocket full of quarters. Am I weird, or does anybody else get this?

    Cool! I get it very well. Cutting through the woods to the 7-11 or
    Tony's
    Pizza for an Italian sub. Other ones: carrying an 8' G&S single fin while
    riding my Raleigh road bike along the boulevard looking for the best
    break.
    It made turns "fun" and braking was impossible. I still have scars on my
    knees 25 years later from wiping out on my bike carrying heavy surfboards
    to
    the beach. Most of the time I didn't care about the scrapes, but got very
    upset about dinging my board!..that is until I got in the ocean...ouch!

    I've always thought that being a surfing teenager in the 80s must have been
    one of the best experiences, ever. I'm sure it was like heaven. No surfing
    in south Louisiana where I grew up, though. I saw a couple of teenaged boys
    yesterday---they were riding their BMXes, laughing and bunnyhopping stuff. I
    wonder if they realized they were having about as much fun as they'll ever
    have? :-)

    The

    Quoted message said:

    best memories though are from when I moved back to the beach for a year
    when
    I was 25 and cruised the same boulevard on my Jamis beach bike while my 6
    month old dog ran alongside at breakneck speed (usually pulling me on the
    leash!). He only got his tail caught in the spokes once! He died at 12
    from cancer this past January and was a good friend:

    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/dukes909/MVC-009S.jpg

    Cheers!

    I'm sorry about your dog, Dukester. I'm sure he enjoyed his misspent youth,
    also.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.