Thoughts on BMC?

BMC is a good bike. I believe that it is more common in Australia than in the US, however there is a dealer near me and the bikes look like they are well made, as good as any of the other major brands. The few people that I have known who own them have had nothing but praise for the bike and the company. If I was in the market for a new bike, they would be on my short list of bikes that I would try out.

The BMC is a far better bike then the Trek, I have lost all respect for Trek and would never buy one. Speaking of those kind of bikes have you looked at Cervelo?

Originally Posted by Froze .

The BMC is a far better bike then the Trek, I have lost all respect for Trek and would never buy one. Speaking of those kind of bikes have you looked at Cervelo?

Just out of curiosity why have you lost your respect of Trek?

Whats your reason for not liking trek? Don't get me wrong I don't like them either mainly because it took about 4 hours to break a session 88 up on whistler.

Originally Posted by finnrambo .

Whats your reason for not liking trek? Don't get me wrong I don't like them either mainly because it took about 4 hours to break a session 88 up on whistler.
Treks are no longer made to the high standards they once had until about 92 or so, since then they started farming most of their bikes to China for construction, I know most people aren't bothered by stuff made in China, but I am, and I don't trust their workmanship or the quality of materials used in production, and add into the mix social and political issues and I try my best (though admittedly almost impossible) to stay away from Chinese products. People buy made in China stuff because they can get a bike that would normally cost $2000 to build here or Japan but instead pay $800 and the companies offering said product makes a killing in profits so the real product only cost maybe $150 to make and assemble. Nike sells $200 shoes they pay $3 for. So we the consumer gets screwed in all directions, we get screwed because if poorly made products forces us to buy replacement products more often, the price cut favors the profits of the Corporation, and jobs are lost here. Stuff that I bought made in China rarely makes it past the warranty period, when before China got into the big swing of things most products I bought lasted 20 years or more. So where are we saving money at if I have to buy a $20 toaster every 5 years instead of once every 20 years, and where are we saving in pollution and environmental issues and replenishing natural resources if we're constantly having to build new stuff all the time? But this isn't a political forum so I will stop before they ban me or this post.

Not sure where BMC frames are made, you will need to check that, but only the high end Trek CF bikes are built here. But did you ever consider Cervelo?

Treks are no longer made to the high standards they once had until about 92 or so, since then they started farming most of their bikes to China for construction, I know most people aren't bothered by stuff made in China, but I am, and I don't trust their workmanship or the quality of materials used in production, and add into the mix social and political issues and I try my best (though admittedly almost impossible) to stay away from Chinese products. People buy made in China stuff because they can get a bike that would normally cost $2000 to build here or Japan but instead pay $800 and the companies offering said product makes a killing in profits so the real product only cost maybe $150 to make and assemble. Nike sells $200 shoes they pay $3 for. So we the consumer gets screwed in all directions, we get screwed because if poorly made products forces us to buy replacement products more often, the price cut favors the profits of the Corporation, and jobs are lost here. Stuff that I bought made in China rarely makes it past the warranty period, when before China got into the big swing of things most products I bought lasted 20 years or more. So where are we saving money at if I have to buy a $20 toaster every 5 years instead of once every 20 years, and where are we saving in pollution and environmental issues and replenishing natural resources if we're constantly having to build new stuff all the time? But this isn't a political forum so I will stop before they ban me or this post.

Not sure where BMC frames are made, you will need to check that, but only the high end Trek CF bikes are built here. But did you ever consider Cervelo?

You do have a good point about the stuff made in china. I had an OLMO that lasted thirty years of my stepfather and then i was the final demise of it with it getting t-boned by a bmw. I did hear somewhere that many American frames were built by mexican immigrants, not sure if it's true but it's not comforting at any rate.

You do have a good point about the stuff made in china. I had an OLMO that lasted thirty years of my stepfather and then i was the final demise of it with it getting t-boned by a bmw. I did hear somewhere that many American frames were built by mexican immigrants, not sure if it's true but it's not comforting at any rate.
I haven't heard or seen any immigrants making frames here in the US, I do think that it is possible that immigrants maybe used to clean up etc, but most, if not all custom frame manufactures are one to two person operations. The American CF manufactures could be using immigrants because unbeknown to most Americans CF manufacturing is very toxic, that's why images of workers in that environment are usually pictured wearing protective gear. Same reason immigrants work the fields due to all the toxins...great huh?

Nothing wrong with Mexican immigrants working it the US.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Nothing wrong with Mexican immigrants working it the US.
I think he's referring to illegal immigrants with no green card working for pennies on the dollar in sweat shops.