Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Thoughts on cycling in Denmark

Started by Hugh Fenton · · Last activity · 9 posts · 531 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
26 October 2003
Last activity
2 November 2003
Original author
Hugh Fenton
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
531
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just returned from a week work in Denmark. I had a number of
    thoughts......

    1. Hub gears outnumber derailleur at least 5 to 1. I this because hub
    gears are just arguably better as a working tool - rather than as a toy

    2. Lights - I would have thought that such "practical" cyclists would
    use dynamo lights - but nearly everyone uses battery lights

    3. Bike paths - I counted myself as a bikepath sceptic. Now I'm not so
    sure. Perhaps I'm just a BAD bike path sceptic

    4. Bikes on Trains - heaven, enough said.

    Hugh Fenton

  2. Hugh Fenton <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just returned from a week work in Denmark. I had a number of
    thoughts......

    1. Hub gears outnumber derailleur at least 5 to 1. I this because hub
    gears are just arguably better as a working tool - rather than as a toy

    Denmark is mostly quite flat too (highest point: a whole 173m!), and thus
    the need for a broad range of gears is less. The same applies to an even
    greater extent in Holland (highest point: 26cm).

    Quoted message said:

    2. Lights - I would have thought that such "practical" cyclists would
    use dynamo lights - but nearly everyone uses battery lights

    Dynamos are a pain in the [censored] though. Sure, you don't have to replace
    batteries, but you have to spend a fortune to get decent ones. i.e. ones
    that hold charge when you are at the lights, quiet, unobtrusive, don't wear
    your tyres out etc.

    Personally battery lights are all I would use. They are useful if you need
    to find your way in the dark when not on your bike too.

    Quoted message said:

    3. Bike paths - I counted myself as a bikepath sceptic. Now I'm not so
    sure. Perhaps I'm just a BAD bike path sceptic

    Denmark certainly caters well for the cyclist, but it is a tiny country, and
    thus is a bit more suited to cycling than Oz.

    Quoted message said:

    4. Bikes on Trains - heaven, enough said.

    Aaah, yes. Means you can get from anywhere to anywhere without a car.
    Niiiiiice....

    BTW, are you posting from the Balkans?
    ---
    DFM

  3. Olav & Marianne <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaVALIDiREALLY!l.nu> schreef in
    bericht news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hugh Fenton <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just returned from a week work in Denmark. I had a number of
    thoughts......

    1. Hub gears outnumber derailleur at least 5 to 1. I this because hub
    gears are just arguably better as a working tool - rather than as a


    toy

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Denmark is mostly quite flat too (highest point: a whole 173m!), and


    thus

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the need for a broad range of gears is less. The same applies to an even
    greater extent in Holland (highest point: 26cm).

    Hold
    on......................................................................
    We even have an official classified Hill (over 300M) over here (i think


    even

    Quoted message said:

    2) in the most southern part of our country (provence Limburg).

    I think I saw it. It's somewhere near Maastricht, yeah?

    Quoted message said:

    We even have steep slopes of 23% going up (for only 600M).
    And another school lesson for you ;-))
    My country is called "Kingdom of the Netherlands" (short Netherlands).
    Holland is an old name wich is out of date (about 1815, i don't think your
    that old ;-)).
    So what can you call Holland than? Well the 2 provences in the west (North
    and South Holland).

    Yeah, I usually refer to it as Holland, because Netherlands/Nederlands is
    harder to pronounce. I am convinced the Netherlanders purposefully make
    their language (especially place names) as difficult as they can.

    A classic example is <<'s Hertogenbosch>>. How the hell can you have a place
    name that starts with an apostrophe????

    Quoted message said:

    G'day

    Dag (Dutch for 'hi', Aussie for 'dag'😉!
    ---
    DFM

  4. "Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaVALIDiREALLY!l.nu> schreef in
    bericht news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hugh Fenton <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just returned from a week work in Denmark. I had a number of
    thoughts......

    1. Hub gears outnumber derailleur at least 5 to 1. I this because hub
    gears are just arguably better as a working tool - rather than as a toy

    Denmark is mostly quite flat too (highest point: a whole 173m!), and thus
    the need for a broad range of gears is less. The same applies to an even
    greater extent in Holland (highest point: 26cm).

    Hold
    on......................................................................
    We even have an official classified Hill (over 300M) over here (i think even
    2) in the most southern part of our country (provence Limburg).
    We even have steep slopes of 23% going up (for only 600M).
    And another school lesson for you ;-))
    My country is called "Kingdom of the Netherlands" (short Netherlands).
    Holland is an old name wich is out of date (about 1815, i don't think your
    that old ;-)).
    So what can you call Holland than? Well the 2 provences in the west (North
    and South Holland).

    G'day

    Olav
    (2Meters above sealevel, with an ATB (MTB is a bit overdone here ;-))

  5. Quoted message said:

    A classic example is <<'s Hertogenbosch>>. How the hell can you have a


    place

    Quoted message said:

    name that starts with an apostrophe????

    Gee that brings back memories.....haven't heard that one for a long time.
    I stayed there 30 years ago. I was hitching around Spain and met up with a
    guy that came from there and invited me to stay at his parents farm.
    I think they had about 2 acres and 5 cows and made a good living.
    The house was double story and the cows had the downstairs in winter.

  6. "Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaVALIDiREALLY!l.nu> schreef in
    bericht news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Olav & Marianne <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaVALIDiREALLY!l.nu> schreef in
    bericht news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hugh Fenton <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Just returned from a week work in Denmark. I had a number of
    > thoughts......
    >
    > 1. Hub gears outnumber derailleur at least 5 to 1. I this because


    hub

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > gears are just arguably better as a working tool - rather than as a


    toy

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Denmark is mostly quite flat too (highest point: a whole 173m!), and


    thus

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the need for a broad range of gears is less. The same applies to an


    even

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    greater extent in Holland (highest point: 26cm).

    Hold
    on......................................................................
    We even have an official classified Hill (over 300M) over here (i think


    even

    Quoted message said:

    2) in the most southern part of our country (provence Limburg).

    I think I saw it. It's somewhere near Maastricht, yeah?

    Yep between Maastricht and Vaals (close to Aachen Germany), thats the region
    for serious MTB in NL ;-))
    How else can we have an world champ in MTB :-)

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    We even have steep slopes of 23% going up (for only 600M).
    And another school lesson for you ;-))
    My country is called "Kingdom of the Netherlands" (short Netherlands).
    Holland is an old name wich is out of date (about 1815, i don't think


    your

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that old ;-)).
    So what can you call Holland than? Well the 2 provences in the west


    (North

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and South Holland).

    Yeah, I usually refer to it as Holland, because Netherlands/Nederlands is
    harder to pronounce. I am convinced the Netherlanders purposefully make
    their language (especially place names) as difficult as they can.

    A classic example is <<'s Hertogenbosch>>. How the hell can you have a


    place

    Quoted message said:

    name that starts with an apostrophe????

    You may call 's Hertogenbosch also Den Bosch the same like
    's Gravenhage is Den Haag (our political capital)
    <<'s>> is an abreviation of <<des>> which is on its turn old dutch.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    G'day

    Dag (Dutch for 'hi', Aussie for 'dag'😉!

    You can say Hi also overhere, it is even an 'brandname' for KPN see
    www.hi.nl (KPN = national telecom operator like Telstra (the even operate
    sattelite telefone together).

    Moors sounds more Dutch/Belgian than "Aussie". I even think your dutch or
    belgian from origin ore at least one of your parents, ore are you married
    and accepted the name (over here it is even possible to have the name of
    your wife, where else than The Netherlands)

    G'Day.

    Olav
    (Who still wants to see more of Oz, after traveling there more than 40.000Km
    by 4wd and motorcycle, next time around on a pushbike)

  7. Olav & Marianne <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaVALIDiREALLY!l.nu> schreef in
    bericht news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Olav & Marianne <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaVALIDiREALLY!l.nu> schreef


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bericht news:[email hidden]...
    > Hugh Fenton <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    > > Just returned from a week work in Denmark. I had a number of
    > > thoughts......
    > >
    > > 1. Hub gears outnumber derailleur at least 5 to 1. I this because


    hub

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > gears are just arguably better as a working tool - rather than as


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    toy

    Quoted message said:

    >
    > Denmark is mostly quite flat too (highest point: a whole 173m!), and


    thus

    Quoted message said:

    > the need for a broad range of gears is less. The same applies to an


    even

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > greater extent in Holland (highest point: 26cm).

    Hold


    on......................................................................

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    We even have an official classified Hill (over 300M) over here (i


    think

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    even

    Quoted message said:

    2) in the most southern part of our country (provence Limburg).

    I think I saw it. It's somewhere near Maastricht, yeah?

    Yep between Maastricht and Vaals (close to Aachen Germany), thats the


    region

    Quoted message said:

    for serious MTB in NL ;-))
    How else can we have an world champ in MTB :-)

    But hurry, because the rumours are that this hill is going to be used to for
    more dikes soon! ;o)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    We even have steep slopes of 23% going up (for only 600M).
    And another school lesson for you ;-))
    My country is called "Kingdom of the Netherlands" (short Netherlands).
    Holland is an old name wich is out of date (about 1815, i don't think


    your

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that old ;-)).
    So what can you call Holland than? Well the 2 provences in the west


    (North

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and South Holland).

    Yeah, I usually refer to it as Holland, because Netherlands/Nederlands


    is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    harder to pronounce. I am convinced the Netherlanders purposefully make
    their language (especially place names) as difficult as they can.

    A classic example is <<'s Hertogenbosch>>. How the hell can you have a


    place

    Quoted message said:

    name that starts with an apostrophe????

    You may call 's Hertogenbosch also Den Bosch the same like
    's Gravenhage is Den Haag (our political capital)
    <<'s>> is an abreviation of <<des>> which is on its turn old dutch.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    G'day

    Dag (Dutch for 'hi', Aussie for 'dag'😉!

    You can say Hi also overhere, it is even an 'brandname' for KPN see
    www.hi.nl (KPN = national telecom operator like Telstra (the even operate
    sattelite telefone together).

    You can speak English anywhere in the Netherlands anyway. In the months that
    I spent there (living in Nijmegen, working in Maastricht), I found only one
    old man that didn't speak English. Fortunately his French was impeccable,
    and so communication was no problem.

    Quoted message said:

    Moors sounds more Dutch/Belgian than "Aussie". I even think your dutch or
    belgian from origin ore at least one of your parents, ore are you married
    and accepted the name (over here it is even possible to have the name of
    your wife, where else than The Netherlands)

    No, I am not Dutch, or Belgian, and my surname is not even Moors! My screen
    name has transformed from Deep Fried Mars (bar), the ludicrously unhealthy
    food that was either invented by the Scottish or the Americans, depending on
    who you believe. Originally I am from Irish/French/Anglo extraction,
    depending on how far back you go.

    Quoted message said:

    G'Day.

    G'day is really only for saying 'hello' in Australia. The equivalent of the
    Dutch "douie" is "see ya", (Italian) "ciao", "catch you later", or simply
    "bye".

    Quoted message said:


    Olav
    (Who still wants to see more of Oz, after traveling there more than


    40.000Km

    Quoted message said:

    by 4wd and motorcycle, next time around on a pushbike)

    I am sure you will be most welcome!!!
    ---
    DFM

  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But hurry, because the rumours are that this hill is going to be used to


    for

    Quoted message said:

    more dikes soon! ;o)

    Aha is that where the are getting al the sand ;-) Well that is the other


    way

    Quoted message said:

    around than than place in Quensland where they want to put more sand up


    the

    Quoted message said:

    "hill" which overlooks the city, so it is actually more then 300M (because
    than they can clame it is an hill). Damn can't come up with the name, it


    is

    Quoted message said:

    surounded by hills it lays on the shore, it has an sea aquarium.... Oke
    looked it up it's Townsville.

    Aaah, those bloody Queenslanders. The heat makes them go crazy!!!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    G'Day.

    G'day is really only for saying 'hello' in Australia. The equivalent of


    the

    Quoted message said:

    Dutch "douie" is "see ya", (Italian) "ciao", "catch you later", or


    simply

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "bye".

    Yip, i know, but it is often sad (correct ? Say > sad ?) to me when saying
    goodbye.

    You mean "often said". Past tense of 'say'. I did say = I said = I have
    said. Pronounced 'sed'.

    (it is usually someone helping me with language, so it is a pleasure to help
    someone else occasionally!)

    It is interesting, because I cannot remember ever hearing g'day said as a
    goodbye. Historically, they might say "good day to you", but I didn't think
    it was used anymore. Is there anyone else out there that can help?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Olav
    (Who still wants to see more of Oz, after traveling there more than


    40.000Km

    Quoted message said:

    by 4wd and motorcycle, next time around on a pushbike)

    I am sure you will be most welcome!!!

    Haven't been refused last time when i was on hold in Brisbane (Aussie
    Customs again) when travelling to NZ. Could image that 3 times was the


    limit

    Quoted message said:

    ;-))

    Aussie customs are some of the toughest in the world. I don't always
    consider that a good thing!
    ---
    DFM

  9. "Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaVALIDiREALLY!l.nu> schreef in
    bericht news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Olav & Marianne <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaVALIDiREALLY!l.nu> schreef in
    bericht news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Olav & Marianne <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    >
    > "Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaVALIDiREALLY!l.nu> schreef


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > bericht news:[email hidden]...
    > > Hugh Fenton <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email hidden]...
    > > > Just returned from a week work in Denmark. I had a number of
    > > > thoughts......
    > > >
    > > > 1. Hub gears outnumber derailleur at least 5 to 1. I this


    because

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    hub

    Quoted message said:

    > > > gears are just arguably better as a working tool - rather than


    as

    Quoted message said:

    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    toy
    > >
    > > Denmark is mostly quite flat too (highest point: a whole 173m!),


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    thus
    > > the need for a broad range of gears is less. The same applies to


    an

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    even

    Quoted message said:

    > > greater extent in Holland (highest point: 26cm).
    >
    >
    > Hold
    >


    on......................................................................

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > We even have an official classified Hill (over 300M) over here (i


    think

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    even
    > 2) in the most southern part of our country (provence Limburg).

    I think I saw it. It's somewhere near Maastricht, yeah?

    Yep between Maastricht and Vaals (close to Aachen Germany), thats the


    region

    Quoted message said:

    for serious MTB in NL ;-))
    How else can we have an world champ in MTB :-)

    But hurry, because the rumours are that this hill is going to be used to


    for

    Quoted message said:

    more dikes soon! ;o)

    Aha is that where the are getting al the sand ;-) Well that is the other way
    around than than place in Quensland where they want to put more sand up the
    "hill" which overlooks the city, so it is actually more then 300M (because
    than they can clame it is an hill). Damn can't come up with the name, it is
    surounded by hills it lays on the shore, it has an sea aquarium.... Oke
    looked it up it's Townsville.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > We even have steep slopes of 23% going up (for only 600M).
    > And another school lesson for you ;-))
    > My country is called "Kingdom of the Netherlands" (short


    Netherlands).

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Holland is an old name wich is out of date (about 1815, i don't


    think

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    your

    Quoted message said:

    > that old ;-)).
    > So what can you call Holland than? Well the 2 provences in the west


    (North

    Quoted message said:

    > and South Holland).

    Yeah, I usually refer to it as Holland, because Netherlands/Nederlands


    is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    harder to pronounce. I am convinced the Netherlanders purposefully


    make

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    their language (especially place names) as difficult as they can.

    A classic example is <<'s Hertogenbosch>>. How the hell can you have a


    place

    Quoted message said:

    name that starts with an apostrophe????

    You may call 's Hertogenbosch also Den Bosch the same like
    's Gravenhage is Den Haag (our political capital)
    <<'s>> is an abreviation of <<des>> which is on its turn old dutch.

    Quoted message said:


    >
    >
    > G'day
    >

    Dag (Dutch for 'hi', Aussie for 'dag'😉!

    You can say Hi also overhere, it is even an 'brandname' for KPN see
    www.hi.nl (KPN = national telecom operator like Telstra (the even


    operate

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    sattelite telefone together).

    You can speak English anywhere in the Netherlands anyway. In the months


    that

    Quoted message said:

    I spent there (living in Nijmegen, working in Maastricht), I found only


    one

    Quoted message said:

    old man that didn't speak English. Fortunately his French was impeccable,
    and so communication was no problem.

    Quoted message said:

    Moors sounds more Dutch/Belgian than "Aussie". I even think your dutch


    or

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    belgian from origin ore at least one of your parents, ore are you


    married

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and accepted the name (over here it is even possible to have the name of
    your wife, where else than The Netherlands)

    No, I am not Dutch, or Belgian, and my surname is not even Moors! My


    screen

    Quoted message said:

    name has transformed from Deep Fried Mars (bar), the ludicrously unhealthy
    food that was either invented by the Scottish or the Americans, depending


    on

    Quoted message said:

    who you believe. Originally I am from Irish/French/Anglo extraction,
    depending on how far back you go.

    Well "Moors" is a dutch/Belgium name thats why

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    G'Day.

    G'day is really only for saying 'hello' in Australia. The equivalent of


    the

    Quoted message said:

    Dutch "douie" is "see ya", (Italian) "ciao", "catch you later", or simply
    "bye".

    Yip, i know, but it is often sad (correct ? Say > sad ?) to me when saying
    goodbye.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:


    Olav
    (Who still wants to see more of Oz, after traveling there more than


    40.000Km

    Quoted message said:

    by 4wd and motorcycle, next time around on a pushbike)

    I am sure you will be most welcome!!!

    Haven't been refused last time when i was on hold in Brisbane (Aussie
    Customs again) when travelling to NZ. Could image that 3 times was the limit
    ;-))

    Olav

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.