General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Tilley hat? Useful, or just good fun?

Started by Peewiglet · · Last activity · 64 posts · 1,458 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 November 2004
Last activity
12 November 2004
Original author
Peewiglet
Posts
64
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,458
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 64
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've often drooled at Tilley hats, but haven't yet succumbed and
    actually bought one. I've just been reading an advert in TGO, though,
    and they look so tempting for sunny conditions...

    Has anyone tried one?

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  2. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:47:01 +0000, Peewiglet <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    | I've often drooled at Tilley hats, but haven't yet succumbed and
    | actually bought one. I've just been reading an advert in TGO, though,
    | and they look so tempting for sunny conditions...

    I do not have an Elephant to test it ;-)

    --
    Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Some of my Hobbies: VDU Glasses
    http://tinyurl.com/c3lh, Wordlists http://tinyurl.com/c3lj, Celtic fonts
    http://tinyurl.com/c3ll, Killfile&Anti Troll FAQs http://tinyurl.com/c3lo
    Tyke Dialect http://tinyurl.com/c3ls Curry Project, http://tinyurl.com/1q6

  3. Peewiglet said:

    I've often drooled at Tilley hats, but haven't yet succumbed and
    actually bought one. I've just been reading an advert in TGO, though,
    and they look so tempting for sunny conditions...

    Has anyone tried one?

    My partner has one. The T5 I think.
    Beautifully made, works as a sunhat and to keep hair roughly in place. The
    straps keep it on in all but the most severe winds. After a few years use
    it still looks good, and the Tilley claims of longevity would appear to be
    "in with a chance".
    A bit on the heavy side and cannot be screwed up into a pocket, but keeps
    its shape and looks far better than my £3-at-a-cheap-shop cotton floppy hat.
    Doesn't really work in the wet as it holds the water and takes an age to dry
    out (there are some other makers who have hats which might shed rain), so
    when the rain starts its usually packed flat into the rucksac in the space
    which the waterproofs were previously occupying. The wet weather behaviour
    is my biggest "against" mark for them.

    - Nigel

    --
    NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
    Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

  4. Peewiglet said:

    I've often drooled at Tilley hats, but haven't yet succumbed and
    actually bought one. I've just been reading an advert in TGO, though,
    and they look so tempting for sunny conditions...

    I have an Ultimate hat, which is very similar (cotton duck, well made
    and uncheap). And I like it a lot, very good sunhat and being cotton
    duck also a very good rainhat (like Ventile, it's closely enough woven
    that absorbed water swells the fibres to fill the holes in the weave so
    it's effectively waterproof. A good general purpose hat, in other words.

    Downsides are mainly it suffers a bit if it's blowing a hoolie. The
    chin and neck straps keep it on okay, but it's still rather less fun to
    wear at such times! They're very tough and don't seem to get floppy
    after a year like cheap imitations.

    If mine got lost or swiped I'd get another, or a Tilley.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. In message <[email hidden]>, NC <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Peewiglet said:

    I've often drooled at Tilley hats, but haven't yet succumbed and
    actually bought one. I've just been reading an advert in TGO, though,
    and they look so tempting for sunny conditions...

    Has anyone tried one?

    My partner has one. The T5 I think.
    Beautifully made, works as a sunhat and to keep hair roughly in place. The
    straps keep it on in all but the most severe winds. After a few years use
    it still looks good, and the Tilley claims of longevity would appear to be
    "in with a chance".
    A bit on the heavy side and cannot be screwed up into a pocket, but keeps
    its shape and looks far better than my £3-at-a-cheap-shop cotton floppy hat.
    Doesn't really work in the wet as it holds the water and takes an age to dry
    out (there are some other makers who have hats which might shed rain), so
    when the rain starts its usually packed flat into the rucksac in the space
    which the waterproofs were previously occupying. The wet weather behaviour
    is my biggest "against" mark for them.


    Having had a Tilley Hat for 14 years I thought I'd butt in here. My
    Tilley (the T4 I think - there was only style when I bought it) has been
    worn hundreds of times during many thousands of miles of walking. It's
    now faded and battered and looks a bit more like a standard floppy sun
    hat than a new Tilley but it still works well. Although I mostly wear it
    as a sun hat, for which it's excellent, I actually like it in the rain
    as the cotton fabric swells and stiffens, making it pretty waterproof in
    all but heavy downpours. It's useless in wind blown rain of course, as
    is any hat with a brim. Drying time is a bit slow but I've never found
    that a problem. And in the heat it's an advantage - I dip the hat in a
    stream and put it on wet for a wonderful cooling effect.

    Overall it's one of my most used and favourite bits of gear.

  6. Peewiglet <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I've often drooled at Tilley hats, but haven't yet succumbed and
    actually bought one. I've just been reading an advert in TGO, though,
    and they look so tempting for sunny conditions...

    Has anyone tried one?


    I had one for several years, and like them, but it was a wide-brimmed
    model, and I eventually gave that to my lady friend (looks better on
    her!) when I bought another with a narrower brim.

    Only snag: I can't pull the hood of my coat over it like I can with the
    baseball cap, so in wet weather I either pack it away or lose the
    advantage of the hood. Best in summer for keeping the sun off, and
    the chin and neck straps keep it in place in strong winds. The narrow
    brim is better in windy conditions also.
    --
    Gordon

  7. "Peewiglet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've often drooled at Tilley hats, but haven't yet succumbed and
    actually bought one. I've just been reading an advert in TGO, though,
    and they look so tempting for sunny conditions...

    Has anyone tried one?

    I got one for a summer excursion in the Canadian Rockies, where strong sun
    and considerable heat are common. I really liked it for those conditions. It
    was also quite good in the rain. A little rain does ultimately come through,
    but I never found the extent of this a problem. The hat was also good at
    keeping twigs etc out of one's eyes when bushwhacking, and reduced feeding
    opportunities for mosquitoes.

    The hat is quite heavy at 155 g. I take something lighter for my usual
    destinations in this country or Scandinavia.

    --
    Alan Law

  8. "Chris Townsend" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, NC <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Peewiglet said:

    I've often drooled at Tilley hats, but haven't yet succumbed and
    actually bought one. I've just been reading an advert in TGO, though,
    and they look so tempting for sunny conditions...

    Has anyone tried one?

    My partner has one. The T5 I think.
    Beautifully made, works as a sunhat and to keep hair roughly in place. The
    straps keep it on in all but the most severe winds. After a few years use
    it still looks good, and the Tilley claims of longevity would appear to be
    "in with a chance".
    A bit on the heavy side and cannot be screwed up into a pocket, but keeps
    its shape and looks far better than my £3-at-a-cheap-shop cotton floppy
    hat.
    Doesn't really work in the wet as it holds the water and takes an age to
    dry
    out (there are some other makers who have hats which might shed rain), so
    when the rain starts its usually packed flat into the rucksac in the space
    which the waterproofs were previously occupying. The wet weather
    behaviour
    is my biggest "against" mark for them.


    Having had a Tilley Hat for 14 years I thought I'd butt in here. My Tilley
    (the T4 I think - there was only style when I bought it) has been worn
    hundreds of times during many thousands of miles of walking. It's now
    faded and battered and looks a bit more like a standard floppy sun hat
    than a new Tilley but it still works well. Although I mostly wear it as a
    sun hat, for which it's excellent, I actually like it in the rain as the
    cotton fabric swells and stiffens, making it pretty waterproof in all but
    heavy downpours. It's useless in wind blown rain of course, as is any hat
    with a brim. Drying time is a bit slow but I've never found that a
    problem. And in the heat it's an advantage - I dip the hat in a stream and
    put it on wet for a wonderful cooling effect.

    Overall it's one of my most used and favourite bits of gear.

    As a Tilley hat owner for years too I am absolutely with Chris on the wet
    weather performance. Go on Peewiglet, buy one. You'll love it and you'll
    never need to buy another hat!

  9. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:47:01 +0000, Peewiglet <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I've often drooled at Tilley hats, but haven't yet succumbed and
    actually bought one. I've just been reading an advert in TGO, though,
    and they look so tempting for sunny conditions...

    Wot like as in hat with a paraffin lantern element thingy doofah
    sticking out of the top?????

    Huh?

    /me admits that I prolly don't know the brand of which the Most
    Esteemed Gear Hound, pw, doth spake.

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  10. Dave Fawthrop said:

    | I've often drooled at Tilley hats, but haven't yet succumbed and
    | actually bought one. I've just been reading an advert in TGO, though,
    | and they look so tempting for sunny conditions...

    I do not have an Elephant to test it ;-)

    Not to worry - I'll lend you mine! Send me your address and I'll book
    a large horse-box...

    ;-)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  11. Dave Fawthrop said:

    | I've often drooled at Tilley hats, but haven't yet succumbed and
    | actually bought one. I've just been reading an advert in TGO, though,
    | and they look so tempting for sunny conditions...

    I do not have an Elephant to test it ;-)

    Not to worry - I'll lend you mine! Send me your address and I'll book
    a large horse-box...

    ;-)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  12. Dave Fawthrop said:

    | I've often drooled at Tilley hats, but haven't yet succumbed and
    | actually bought one. I've just been reading an advert in TGO, though,
    | and they look so tempting for sunny conditions...

    I do not have an Elephant to test it ;-)

    Not to worry - I'll lend you mine! Send me your address and I'll book
    a large horse-box...

    ;-)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  13. On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:39:14 -0000, "bob watkinson"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    As a Tilley hat owner for years too I am absolutely with Chris on the wet
    weather performance. Go on Peewiglet, buy one. You'll love it and you'll
    never need to buy another hat!

    Ok - I'll get one :-) (I can't promise that I'll never buy another
    hat, though...)

    Many thanks to all for sharing your experiences. I've wanted one of
    these for a long, long time :-)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  14. On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:39:14 -0000, "bob watkinson"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    As a Tilley hat owner for years too I am absolutely with Chris on the wet
    weather performance. Go on Peewiglet, buy one. You'll love it and you'll
    never need to buy another hat!

    Ok - I'll get one :-) (I can't promise that I'll never buy another
    hat, though...)

    Many thanks to all for sharing your experiences. I've wanted one of
    these for a long, long time :-)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  15. On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:39:14 -0000, "bob watkinson"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    As a Tilley hat owner for years too I am absolutely with Chris on the wet
    weather performance. Go on Peewiglet, buy one. You'll love it and you'll
    never need to buy another hat!

    Ok - I'll get one :-) (I can't promise that I'll never buy another
    hat, though...)

    Many thanks to all for sharing your experiences. I've wanted one of
    these for a long, long time :-)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  16. SteveO said:

    Wot like as in hat with a paraffin lantern element thingy doofah
    sticking out of the top?????

    <snicker...>

    Quoted message said:

    Huh?

    Quoted message said:

    /me admits that I prolly don't know the brand of which the Most
    Esteemed Gear Hound, pw, doth spake.

    Here you go, un-geary person!

    http://www.tilleyuk.com/home.asp?countryCode=UK

    Mmmm.... :-)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  17. SteveO said:

    Wot like as in hat with a paraffin lantern element thingy doofah
    sticking out of the top?????

    <snicker...>

    Quoted message said:

    Huh?

    Quoted message said:

    /me admits that I prolly don't know the brand of which the Most
    Esteemed Gear Hound, pw, doth spake.

    Here you go, un-geary person!

    http://www.tilleyuk.com/home.asp?countryCode=UK

    Mmmm.... :-)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  18. SteveO said:

    Wot like as in hat with a paraffin lantern element thingy doofah
    sticking out of the top?????

    <snicker...>

    Quoted message said:

    Huh?

    Quoted message said:

    /me admits that I prolly don't know the brand of which the Most
    Esteemed Gear Hound, pw, doth spake.

    Here you go, un-geary person!

    http://www.tilleyuk.com/home.asp?countryCode=UK

    Mmmm.... :-)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  19. In article <[email hidden]>, Peewiglet
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    I've often drooled at Tilley hats, but haven't yet succumbed and
    actually bought one. I've just been reading an advert in TGO, though,
    and they look so tempting for sunny conditions...

    Has anyone tried one?

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

    Hi Peewiglet

    They are brilliant. The "back-of-the head"strap and chin straps come in
    very useful in high winds.

    Which model did you get. I have a T3 and lightweight T5.

    The T3 is better for sun protection in my opinion though.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,
    SteveO@?.?.invalid writes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've often drooled at Tilley hats, but haven't yet succumbed and
    actually bought one. I've just been reading an advert in TGO, though,
    and they look so tempting for sunny conditions...

    Wot like as in hat with a paraffin lantern element thingy doofah
    sticking out of the top?????

    Huh?

    You got it Steve :-)

    Ha' you got a light bwoy"
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.