Bigbananabike said:Hi
On recent nights I've spent about 1 hour 20 mins doing 30 kilmetres at 90 + revs on my rollers - the winter weather in Auckland has kept me off the road.
I find it really is a good workout for me. Covered in sweat, legs aching(especially hamstrings and 'nads feeling like they've been punched by a Sumo wrestler!
If I ride the next day I feel pretty 'flat'.
It's a replacement for a road ride I'd do over a reasonably hilly 50 - 65kms.
From that I'd usually know I'd had a ride but I wouldn't be nearly as stuffed as I am from riding the rollers.
The next days ride is normally fine.
My question - although, subjectively(I don't have a HRM - yet) I feel like the rollers were a harder work out(can freewheel, but then no hills to ascend and winds to battle) and I've read that apparently an hour on the trainer/rollers = 2 on the bike on the road, is it really better than time on the road?😕
I realise it would be best if I was doing intervals etc on the rollers - but I can't be bothered - yet. I also know it would be better to use a HRM and I'm getting one soon.
I don't know if you've taken a look at my "It's killing me.." thread, but you will see I do most of my hard work indoors in the local gym; not on rollers but on a trainer - same difference I should imagine.
But it was your last sentence that intrigued me. Why would you want an HRM? When I'm doing my intervals, be it FT, VO2Max or AWC I cover up the HR indicator because I find it's a distraction. When I used to watch it, if my HR went above 150 I would ease off a bit thinking I was overdoing it. Now,as I said recently, I take a peek after the interval. One day this week, at the end of the interval my HR had gone up to 167. If I'd been watching my HR, I would probably have eased off long before, thereby not getting the full benefit of the interval.
Basically I don't understand why some people keep talking about training with an HRM as it appears they don't really tell you what is going on in your ticker anyway.
On my Sunday rides in the mountains, I don't have an HRM and just blast the hills etc. until my body says no more please. A power meter would probably be a better buy as I could compare the wattage with what I know I'm capable of in the gym, but at the moment a power meter is out of the question.
Just my 2 farthings worth! TYSON 😉