Road Cycling · Public discussion

Time spent on trainer

Started by Kelly J. · · Last activity · 27 posts · 2,318 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 January 2003
Last activity
24 January 2003
Original author
Kelly J.
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,318
Views / 30 days
26

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–27 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article said:

    When we first bought bikes, we bought cheap [censored] from Walmart...lesson learned rather quickly! When
    we found that we really enjoyed it, we went & bought the Trek 7300 hybrids for 500 smackers each.
    At that point, I had no idea that my biking would progress as quickly as it did, or that I would
    have a desire to do long distance riding. We are stuck with these bikes this year, as we truly
    cannot afford to buy a road bike(s).

    You can get most of the benefit of a good road bike by putting drop bars and thin high pressure
    tires on your current bikes. Your bikes won't be quite as light as road bikes, but that doesn't make
    all that much difference, and then only on hills. You can use older parts that're much cheaper than
    the trick modern stuff (but will work about as well).

    The best thing about drop bars, besides being a bit more aerodynamic than flat bars, is having more
    places to put your hands.

    Eric

  2. Quoted message said:

    I would love to be able to ride to work, but this city is just not built for biking....too
    hilly, & too many loonies on the road. Lucky you! The restoration of your vision is truly a
    blessing. How wonderful! You probably see better than me now. Happy biking!

    Kelly


    Cheers! I think you are doing great. Bernie

  3. "BudMan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Kelly, Not meaning to be a bike snob (really). But, you could shave some time


    off

    Quoted message said:

    your century if you went with a lighter bike. I noticed on your website (nice job) that you were
    riding one of those 'comfort bikes'. While they are great for around town spins and great to get
    someone into cycling and upgrade should be considered. I'm not saying go out and spend a fortune


    on

    Quoted message said:

    a road bike. Just go down to your LBS and see what they recommend. Something with a lighter frame
    and wheels will make a world of difference


    in

    Quoted message said:

    your quest for PR's.

    Hi Budman,

    Are you sure you're not a bike snob? lol

    When we first bought bikes, we bought cheap [censored] from Walmart...lesson learned rather quickly! When
    we found that we really enjoyed it, we went & bought the Trek 7300 hybrids for 500 smackers each. At
    that point, I had no idea that my biking would progress as quickly as it did, or that I would have a
    desire to do long distance riding. We are stuck with these bikes this year, as we truly cannot
    afford to buy a road bike(s). Another reason for the hybrids, at that point was because of previous
    shoulder problems...I wasn't sure if I would have problems with the lowered posture that one has on
    the road bikes. Yes, often I have thought that perhaps we should have bought road bikes, but for
    this year, we must make due with the hybrids. Unless I win the lottery, that is! Fat chance of that!
    Thank you for the suggestion though.

    Cheers, Kelly

  4. BudMan said:

    Kelly, Not meaning to be a bike snob (really). But, you could shave some time off your century if
    you went with a lighter bike. I noticed on your website (nice job) that you were riding one of
    those 'comfort bikes'. While they are great for around town spins and great to get someone into
    cycling and upgrade should be considered.

    In case Kelly isn't ready to shell out more money for a new road bike, there are a couple of things
    that she can do to make her bike faster. The first thing is tires. Comfort bikes typically come with
    wide, treaded tires that are loaded with rolling resistance. Switching out to high pressure slicks
    will make a noticeable difference.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA terrymorse.combike

  5. Thanks, Stu.

    I won't be making any changes this year, other than to become more fit & complete the trip!

    Kelly

    "stu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    l say leave the bike alone that way you know how much you have improved, not how much money you
    spent there does come a time to upgrade, but it is nice to be able to compare times and if you
    change bikes it means less just my 2cents worth have a great time l the ride what ecer you do

  6. "terry morse" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    BudMan said:

    Kelly, Not meaning to be a bike snob (really). But, you could shave some time


    off

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    your century if you went with a lighter bike. I noticed on your website (nice job) that you were
    riding one of those 'comfort bikes'. While


    they

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    are great for around town spins and great to get someone into cycling


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    upgrade should be considered.

    In case Kelly isn't ready to shell out more money for a new road bike, there are a couple of
    things that she can do to make her bike faster. The first thing is tires. Comfort bikes typically
    come with wide, treaded tires that are loaded with rolling resistance. Switching out to high
    pressure slicks will make a noticeable difference.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA terrymorse.combike

    For Eric & Terry,

    Right after I hit the send button on that last reply to Budman, that thought had occured to me that
    I could make modifications to the bike to make it a bit more road ready. My only concern was that
    the change in posture might bother my shoulders. When I take the bike in for Spring maintainence, I
    will definetely inquire about these modifications. The only other things I was considering for this
    year (that are on the cheaper side) would be a bike light & toe straps. Oh, & a HRM, too.

    Thanks, guys!

    Kelly

  7. Kelly, Sorry for the time it took me to get back to this thread. You ask about the 'peak early'
    thing. Simply put, its impossible to remain in top physical condition all the time. After training a
    body needs time to recover, but the cumulative effects of training take their toll on your system.
    The theory I follow is called 'periodization'. This takes into account the stress on the body and
    allows time to build and recover for an event. I don't want to make this a long treatise. If you
    read the book by Joe Friel, "The Cyclist's Training Bible" this would explain what I mean. I would
    not recommend you go out and buy it because its focus is toward racing but some of the concepts
    apply, but I'm sure some of your cycling friends have a copy. "Kelly J." <[email hidden]> wrote
    in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "BudMan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Trainer time should be quality not quantity. Use the time on the


    trainer

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for intervals or just easy spins, 45 minutes sounds about right. Longer than that you will get
    bored and loose interest after a few weeks. Also, this time of the year too much time on the
    trainer may make you peak


    early.

    Quoted message said:

    There are a number of cycling books out there that will give you more information about
    training. I'm only speaking for myself but for the


    indoor

    Quoted message said:

    season I usually ride my rollers (I have a CycleOps trainer but the


    rollers

    Quoted message said:

    are more fun) four days a week. Instead of time there is a set


    distance,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    usually 10 or 15 miles, depending on my schedule, this takes 35 to 45 minutes. The other three
    days a week run outdoors weather permitting,


    or

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    treadmill. On the bike days I also do some resistance training using my Total Gym. Usually four
    or five circuits on the Total Gym after riding. It's enough to keep some of the winter fat off
    and kick start the road training that starts on March 15.

    Hi Budman,

    The one comment that you made that I'd like to understand more about is


    the

    Quoted message said:

    "peak early". I did get a few books from the library which include:


    Serious

    Quoted message said:

    Cycling by Edmund Burke & Complete Book of Road Cycling Skills by Ed Pavelka. The latter is where
    I read about the 45 minute time frame. I know


    I

    Quoted message said:

    need to include interval training. I (and my body?) seem to like the endurance aspect more so
    than the sprints or speed, but I would never say that I would never be a faster rider. I keep
    pushing. Thanks!

    Kelly

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.