Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Time trial bike fit

Started by Kjell Arne Olsen · · Last activity · 7 posts · 739 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
30 May 2005
Last activity
8 June 2005
Original author
Kjell Arne Olsen
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
739
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I got plenty of good fitting advice a little more than a year ago
    (http://groups.google.no/groups?hl=no&lr=&threadm=sqfa1053deun5t6v63has10se0asv3aktn%404ax.com&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dfit%2Bauthor:Kjell%2Bauthor:Arne%2Bauthor:Olsen%26hl%3Dno%26lr%3D%26selm%3Dsqfa1053deun5t6v63has10se0asv3aktn%25404ax.com%26rnum%3D3),
    and ended up buying a 53 cm Cannondale CAAD4 frame that fits me well,
    and took me through the 540 km race from Trondheim to Oslo last summer
    in 14h 34m.

    My interest in road racing (masters - I am 44 years old) is steadily
    growing, and this year I wanted to try some time trials. I got hold of
    a time trial bike built around an old CAAD3 frame, the same size as my
    regular road bike. It came with a disc rear wheel, and deep rim front
    wheel. I've tried it only a few times, and 3 timesd in races, a 20k
    and two 10k. It sure takes some time getting used to the bike, and
    takes some tweaking with positions. Although I feel more comfortable
    on the bike now, I'm not sure I'm reaching my potential. On the local
    10k TT I'm still 30 seconds slower than last year with the
    CAAD4/clip-on aero bars.

    Advice given when speaking to other riders varies quite a lot, and
    googling gives advice primary for triathletes. My main concern is
    whether my forearms is low enough relative to saddle heigth. With the
    CAAD3 frame with the "old style" headset I can get the aerobars barely
    lower than the saddle height, and the only option is getting another
    stem, maybe lowering the bars a cm or two.

    A rather vague question, but is it possible to get fitted on frame the
    same size as my regular road frame, or do I need a smaller frame?
    FWIW, I am 172 cm tall (5'7"😉 with relatively short legs. Or, if it's
    difficult to answer such a question without seeing me on the bike, I
    would appreciate pointers to good, general advice on bike fitting for
    (short) time trials.

    Cheers,
    Kjell Arne, Norway

    --
    http://www.brumunddal-sk.idrett.no/
    Remove your clothes if you want to answer by e-mail!

  2. "Kjell Arne Olsen" <ellaguru@your clothesstart.no> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I got plenty of good fitting advice a little more than a year ago
    (http://groups.google.no/groups?hl=no&lr=&threadm=sqfa1053deun5t6v63has10se0asv3aktn%404ax.com&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dfit%2Bauthor:Kjell%2Bauthor:Arne%2Bauthor:Olsen%26hl%3Dno%26lr%3D%26selm%3Dsqfa1053deun5t6v63has10se0asv3aktn%25404ax.com%26rnum%3D3),
    Advice given when speaking to other riders varies quite a lot, and
    googling gives advice primary for triathletes. My main concern is
    whether my forearms is low enough relative to saddle heigth. With the
    CAAD3 frame with the "old style" headset I can get the aerobars barely
    lower than the saddle height, and the only option is getting another
    stem, maybe lowering the bars a cm or two.

    I tried doing the same thing with the same bike and had the same problem.
    You could possibly try finding a quill ergo stem. You might be able to get
    a MTB stem to work as well, but the handlebar diameter is an issue.

    Eventually I gave up and bought a real TT frame.

    -Andy B.

  3. If you get a Look Ergostem you can position the bars well below the top of
    the headset. I've seen riders at track meets who have used this stem to
    position the bars up to 10cm or so below the headset.

    Nick

    "Kjell Arne Olsen" <ellaguru@your clothesstart.no> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    [snip]...

    Advice given when speaking to other riders varies quite a lot, and
    googling gives advice primary for triathletes. My main concern is
    whether my forearms is low enough relative to saddle heigth. With the
    CAAD3 frame with the "old style" headset I can get the aerobars barely
    lower than the saddle height, and the only option is getting another
    stem, maybe lowering the bars a cm or two.

    A rather vague question, but is it possible to get fitted on frame the
    same size as my regular road frame, or do I need a smaller frame?
    FWIW, I am 172 cm tall (5'7"😉 with relatively short legs. Or, if it's
    difficult to answer such a question without seeing me on the bike, I
    would appreciate pointers to good, general advice on bike fitting for
    (short) time trials.

  4. Nick Payne said:

    If you get a Look Ergostem you can position the bars well below the top of
    the headset. I've seen riders at track meets who have used this stem to
    position the bars up to 10cm or so below the headset.

    I had to look around a bit to find the quill version of the Look ergo
    stem, but it seems to be the way go, so I've ordered one. Thanks to
    both Andy and Nick!

    Cheers,
    Kjell Arne

    --
    http://www.brumunddal-sk.idrett.no/
    Remove your clothes if you want to answer by e-mail!

  5. Kjell Arne Olsen wrote:
    <SNIP>

    Quoted message said:

    A rather vague question, but is it possible to get fitted on frame the
    same size as my regular road frame, or do I need a smaller frame?
    FWIW, I am 172 cm tall (5'7"😉 with relatively short legs. Or, if it's
    difficult to answer such a question without seeing me on the bike, I
    would appreciate pointers to good, general advice on bike fitting for
    (short) time trials.

    Cheers,
    Kjell Arne, Norway

    I think that you may find your answers on one of Dan
    Empfield's pages:
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html

    Sorry that its a tri site but TT people seem less able to
    communicate such info. The aero-critical needs seem to
    be similar (for tri and TT) as do the resulting geometry
    and positioning.

    I find that once setup his way that my back is horizontal
    which would seem to reduce drag, and I can comfortably
    ride the aerobars for hours. This required little
    build-up or acclimatization.

    Some points I think that D.E. makes of interest to you:
    1. You may be able to get other aerobars which will lower
    the pads quite a bit.

    2. A more forward position may be appropriate to help
    support higher cadence and get more aero. As you move
    forward you will raise the seat to maintain the same
    distance to the bottom of the crank travel, this will
    relieve some of the need for drop to the bar pads.

    Move forward with a special seatpost if the seat rails
    don't give enough. Each cm forward is about a degree.
    Your frame puts you somewhere around 74 degrees
    depending on your seatpost and seat mounting position.
    (I ride on the seat-nose at about 80 degrees on the flat
    but I'll slide back on the seat when I climb sometimes.)

    3. If you stay in a slack seat position, you may want/need
    a shortie aerobar for comfortable fit. In contrast,
    moving forward will shorten the cockpit to help you
    fit with full size aerobars.

    A point which I may have also picked up from him is that
    some aerobars put the pad behind the base bar (examples:
    profile aerolite, syntace streamliner). This helps
    shorten the cockpit.

    I bought a 58cm Quintana Roo tri frame even though I ride
    a couple of 56cm road frames thinking that they may be
    small (I'm 6', 33" inseam). To fit the Roo I moved
    forward even more with a Control Tech seatpost, the seat's
    pretty far forward, my aerobar is the profile aerolite and
    I've swapped stems down to 75 mm.

    I'm guessing you're feeling the need to shorten the cockpit
    when you mention a smaller frame. I hope something here
    helps.

    Ed

  6. Mark Hickey said:
    Ed Cory said:

    I bought a 58cm Quintana Roo tri frame even though I ride
    a couple of 56cm road frames thinking that they may be
    small (I'm 6', 33" inseam).

    Doesn't QR measure their frames to the top of the seat tube (ala
    TREK)? That makes the "size" quite meaningless in comparison with
    other frames measured c-c or c-top.

    Yes, it looks like you're right, it is 58 cm to the top of the
    seat tube.

    The top tube on mine is about 56 cm. Looking now at current
    Trek 1500 and Specialized Allez specs online it looks like mine
    would more closely match what both of those brands call 56 cm.

    It looks like I'm just lucky my fit wasn't worse.
    That's the risk I took ebay-buying an unused QR frame for $60.
    (its a pre-ABP closeout)

    Quoted message said:

    One thing I've noticed is that while most of the QR TT bikes are
    designed to allow the possibiility of a very low position, they
    normally come shipped (and ridden) with lots o' spacers and a riser
    stem to get the bars back up where they'd be on any other bike.
    Nothing "wrong" with that, and it's cool to have the option for a very
    low position, but most mortals simply end up riding with the bars a
    little higher than a Europro.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

    Maybe the setup they're shipped with assumes that the new owner
    will "work into" lower positions?

    I'm down to 20mm of spacer under a rather long stem clamp portion,
    with no stem rise. I'm moderately flexible but at 52 its gotta
    be the steep position that lets me tolerate this overall position.

    Ed

  7. Ed Cory said:

    I think that you may find your answers on one of Dan
    Empfield's pages:
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html

    Thanks, this was a good one!

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry that its a tri site but TT people seem less able to
    communicate such info. The aero-critical needs seem to
    be similar (for tri and TT) as do the resulting geometry
    and positioning.

    Yes, even though he mentions differences between road racing and
    triathlons in the last part of the article (recruitment of fast vs
    slow twitch muscle fibers during the race).

    I learnt a lot from it, and still think I can get a good fit&position
    with a Look ergo stem.

    Cheers,
    Kjell Arne

    --
    http://www.brumunddal-sk.idrett.no/
    Remove your clothes if you want to answer by e-mail!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.