General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Tipping Owners

Started by Goomba38 · · Last activity · 37 posts · 1,034 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
23 October 2005
Last activity
24 October 2005
Original author
Goomba38
Posts
37
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,034
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–37 of 37
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Dave Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    George said:


    Quoted message said:


    Probably excellent income, because they're saving the expenses
    associated with an employee; their wages, insurance, taxes, and any
    personal benefits, such as how eatery help is typically fed.

    And maybe not. The small Asian restaurant described is pretty typical.
    Given the prices they charge I seriously doubt they are rolling in dough.

    Then they should charge more. They set their prices low to attract
    customers.
    If the prices are so low that they aren't making any money they should
    boost
    their prices rather than expect tips.

    I didn't think the prices were too much out of line either way the other day
    when we ate at the Korean restaurant in the grocery. We were just happy to
    have a meal out that wasn't typically 'crocker barrel.' My lunch was chicken
    teriyaki (they were 'conveniently out of the salmon that day, which would've
    been my choice) with a few veggies & rice (lots of rice) (chicken not
    especially lip-smacking, when I compare it to other Korean restaurants
    inside grocery stores; veggies good, but ordinary. Nothing else. $7.95.
    DH's was a bowl of Korean beef & cabbage soup 6.95, with some little side
    dishes, which we shared. Total $15.60. No drinks -- add a couple of
    dollars more, if there were tips, add another $2.50, making it really a $20
    meal for around $15.
    However, for dessert, went elsewhere.
    Dee Dee

  2. "Ted Campanelli" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so
    great) words of knowledge:

    Quoted message said:

    When I go to this little Korean restaurant, the only working people there
    are the owners (husband and wife) and I wondered if there was anything
    done differently when it comes to tipping? It sometimes seems weird to be
    tipping the owners who aren't wait staff employees.
    Any thoughts?
    Goomba

    If they are serving you as a waiter/waitress would (serving food,
    providing beverages, clearing the table, etc. ), give them a tip. You are
    tipping for the service provided whether it comes from a wait person or
    the owners.

    I have heard it said that you do not tip owners. The logic, I suppose, is
    that they are making the profit from the establishment as opposed to being
    low-paid wage slaves. If they are providing the actual service, as in this
    case, then good service gets them more business and more profits.

    --
    Peter Aitken
    Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    aem said:
    Dave Smith said:


    The idea of tipping is to subsidize the low wages of the hired help, not
    the owners.

    What kind of income can the owners be making if they can't afford to
    hire servers?

    More than if they were paying a server? :-0)

    Or if the traffic isn't steady or predictable enough to pay a server and
    make a fair profit, I can certainly see why the owner would be waiting
    tables. And if it's a new place or a new owner it would be a way to get
    feedback straight from the customer and straight to the owner without a
    middleman. A way for the owner to have a finger on the pulse.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

  4. Goomba38 said:

    When I go to this little Korean restaurant, the only working people
    there are the owners (husband and wife) and I wondered if there was
    anything done differently when it comes to tipping? It sometimes seems
    weird to be tipping the owners who aren't wait staff employees.
    Any thoughts?
    Goomba


    I've run into the same quandry. The old rule was as I understand, you
    didn't tip the owners. That's out of date I think. I do tip though
    although maybe a little less than I would normal wait staff, usually
    about 10%. The wait staff employees have it as a part of their income
    whereas tipping the owners IMHO is just a way of complimenting them on
    the meal and service.

  5. "Peter Aitken" <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    "Ted Campanelli" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes
    not so great) words of knowledge:

    Quoted message said:

    When I go to this little Korean restaurant, the only working people
    there are the owners (husband and wife) and I wondered if there was
    anything done differently when it comes to tipping? It sometimes
    seems weird to be tipping the owners who aren't wait staff
    employees. Any thoughts?
    Goomba

    If they are serving you as a waiter/waitress would (serving food,
    providing beverages, clearing the table, etc. ), give them a tip.
    You are tipping for the service provided whether it comes from a wait
    person or the owners.

    I have heard it said that you do not tip owners. The logic, I suppose,
    is that they are making the profit from the establishment as opposed
    to being low-paid wage slaves. If they are providing the actual
    service, as in this case, then good service gets them more business
    and more profits.

    I don't know what etiquette (whatever that is these days) dictates on
    tipping owners. I have several friends that own or have owned dining
    establishments. None of them would accept tips if they served you. All of
    them are/were much more interested in your opinion of the food they served
    and the overall service of the establishment. My dear friend and neighbor
    Lynn Smith owned 3 restaurants in the St. Louis area. The most well known
    being 'The City Cousin'. She would never accept a tip from me but she
    would knock on my door for a vodka tonic now and then 😉 She passed away a
    couple of years ago.

    Michael

    --
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  6. Edwin Pawlowski said:
    Sheldon said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't want the owner cutting my hair, whey should I be
    inconvenienced by having to wait every time the phone rings or every
    time someone walks in the door to converse about something... anyway,
    these days I cut my own hair, there are no more barbers.

    You need a new barber then. I use to go to is a one man shop. He never
    answered the phone. Most callers would ask if he was busy and how long of a
    wait. He'd hang up the phone and three people would walk in increasing he
    wait by the time the caller got there. It was always an interesting time
    with the group discussing sports, local politics, what is going on in town,
    Ford vs. Chevy, etc. Makes me wish I had enough hair to keep going.

    Yeah, well... a new barber is much easier said then done. On Lung
    Island I went to the same two man barber shop for some 25 years, then
    one day about a year prior to my moving I went for my haircut and there
    was a sign in she shop window, George, the owner, had suddenly passed
    away. Frank, his cohort was even older, found out later thazt made him
    decide to retire. There were no real barber shops within 20 miles,
    only "hair salons"... tried a few but discovered that hair dressers are
    not barbers, not even close. When I moved one of the things I noticed
    was that there was a small one man barber shop right in the center of
    this small village... I got to enjoy one haircut and then the next time
    I drove up there was a For Sale sign in the window, the barber had
    retired and the building with all the barbering fixtures was for sale,
    still is... it's a really nice shop but there are no barbers... It's
    been listed now for more than six months, but it's a small building,
    not suitable for much else, I've no idea what will become of it... I'd
    love to have that old barber chair. Again I tried a couple of hair
    salons, fergeddaboudit. No way I'm gonna pay $25 for some teenybopper
    to butcher my hair. I happened to have a professional electric hair
    clipper, bought "hot" in NYC years ago for $5, so now I sit outside on
    my deck and do my own do. I have a full head of very thick hair but
    for all my adult life I would get a crew cut, not quite military but
    pretty short... the real barber would charge $7 and did an excellent
    job. Hair dressers are much better at washing hair than cutting, they
    can't do crews... I do a far better job myself. And like I said, there
    are no more barbers coming along... if you happen to have one nearby
    you are lucky. I used to enjoy hanging out at the barber shop too,
    that's where all the local gossip was exchanged. Real barbers do
    shaves with straight razors, hot towel treatment, and plenty of bay
    rum, they do nose hair, ear hair, mustaches, beards, even remove
    ingrown hairs... real licenced barbers are permited to even perform
    minor surgery, like lancing boils, removing splinters, treating minor
    burns, etc... just like the local pharmacist used to do first aid when
    a real doctor was not available at the moment... the original EMT.

    Sheldon

  7. Tip the waiter..
    tip the bartender..
    tip the maid...
    tip the doorman...
    tip the cab driver...
    tip the busboy..
    tip the matre de..
    tip the newsboy...
    tip the garbage man..
    tip the mailman..
    etc
    etc

    Where the hell does all this end?!!!!

  8. Jim Davis said:

    Tip the waiter..
    tip the bartender..
    tip the maid...
    tip the doorman...
    tip the cab driver...
    tip the busboy..
    tip the matre de..
    tip the newsboy...
    tip the garbage man..
    tip the mailman..
    etc
    etc

    Where the hell does all this end?!!!!

    When you stop demanding services.

    Sheldon

  9. Jim Davis said:

    I've run into the same quandry. The old rule was as I understand, you
    didn't tip the owners. That's out of date I think.

    Thanks to our tipping culture, owners can get away with paying substandard
    wages to their wait staff with the expectation that they will earn tips. So
    the owner pays a minimum wage and the waiter hustles to make tips. The wait
    staff does not set the prices, has no input that would allow him to add X %
    to the prices on the menu to give himself a raise. He has to hustle the
    boss's food and drink to the customer and then rely on their generosity,
    common sense or guilt to increase his income.

    If the owner chooses to wait on tables himself rather than hire someone,
    that is his decision. The price is up to him.

  10. Sheldon said:

    Yeah, well... a new barber is much easier said then done.

    I haven't been to a barber in years. My wife used to complain about my haircuts
    all the time, and as I got older and the hair thinner, things got worse. One day
    I went out and bought a home barber set with the clippers, four heads and a pair
    of scissors for $39.95. I put on the number 4 head, stood in front of the mirror
    and ran it around my head a few times, put a lower head on and trimmed the edges
    then took the head off and trimmed the back. When my wife got home she thought I
    had been to a barber and remarked on what a nice cut I had been given. That was
    about 5 years ago, and I haven't been to a barber since. It give myself a haircut
    every 2-3 weeks. It takes me 5 minutes. That set of clippers has paid for itself
    many times over.

  11. Michael 'Dog3' Lonergan said:

    I don't know what etiquette (whatever that is these days) dictates on
    tipping owners. I have several friends that own or have owned dining
    establishments. None of them would accept tips if they served you. All of
    them are/were much more interested in your opinion of the food they served
    and the overall service of the establishment. My dear friend and neighbor
    Lynn Smith owned 3 restaurants in the St. Louis area. The most well known
    being 'The City Cousin'. She would never accept a tip from me but she
    would knock on my door for a vodka tonic now and then 😉 She passed away a
    couple of years ago.


    Obviously, she was a friend and I think most friends would feel
    uncomfortable accepting tips from customers who are also friends.
    That said, I tip small business owner/operators - restaurant, hair,
    nails.

  12. "Dave Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Sheldon said:

    Yeah, well... a new barber is much easier said then done.

    I haven't been to a barber in years. My wife used to complain about my
    haircuts
    all the time, and as I got older and the hair thinner, things got worse.
    One day
    I went out and bought a home barber set with the clippers, four heads and
    a pair
    of scissors for $39.95. I put on the number 4 head, stood in front of the
    mirror
    and ran it around my head a few times, put a lower head on and trimmed the
    edges
    then took the head off and trimmed the back. When my wife got home she
    thought I
    had been to a barber and remarked on what a nice cut I had been given.
    That was
    about 5 years ago, and I haven't been to a barber since. It give myself a
    haircut
    every 2-3 weeks. It takes me 5 minutes. That set of clippers has paid for
    itself
    many times over.


    Yep! DH bought the Flowbie years ago. An improvement over barber haircuts.
    In the last couple of years, he been getting his h/c's at the Veteran's
    Administration since his father spends so much time there in treatment.
    Sometimes the h/c's are pretty wild!
    Flowbie rules!
    Dee Dee

  13. sf <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Michael 'Dog3' Lonergan said:

    I don't know what etiquette (whatever that is these days) dictates
    on tipping owners. I have several friends that own or have owned
    dining establishments. None of them would accept tips if they
    served you. All of them are/were much more interested in your
    opinion of the food they served and the overall service of the
    establishment. My dear friend and neighbor Lynn Smith owned 3
    restaurants in the St. Louis area. The most well known being 'The
    City Cousin'. She would never accept a tip from me but she would
    knock on my door for a vodka tonic now and then 😉 She passed away
    a couple of years ago.


    Obviously, she was a friend and I think most friends would feel
    uncomfortable accepting tips from customers who are also friends.
    That said, I tip small business owner/operators - restaurant, hair,
    nails.

    I always offer tips but mostly they are declined. I always tip the barber
    etc. The barber owns his own gig and snaps the tip up like it was a
    truffle 😉

    Michael

    --
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  14. Goomba38 said:

    weird to be tipping the owners.....

    Is that anything like tipping cows?

    nb

  15. On Sun 23 Oct 2005 11:28:21a, Jim Davis wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Tip the waiter..
    tip the bartender..
    tip the maid...
    tip the doorman...
    tip the cab driver...
    tip the busboy..
    tip the matre de..
    tip the newsboy...
    tip the garbage man..
    tip the mailman..
    etc
    etc

    Where the hell does all this end?!!!!

    When you "just say NO".

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________

    http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

    Meet Mr. Bailey

  16. notbob said:
    Goomba38 said:

    weird to be tipping the owners.....

    Is that anything like tipping cows?

    nb

    Same thing!

  17. Jim Davis said:

    Tip the waiter..

    Yes, they don't make minimum wage

    Quoted message said:

    tip the bartender..

    Depends on how sloshed they got you (j/k) They run around like mad fixing
    drinks on a busy night, why not tip them for their service?

    Quoted message said:

    tip the maid...

    Yes, unless you just decline maid service and clean your own room and go get
    your own towels

    Quoted message said:

    tip the doorman...

    Why? He didn't do anything but open a door

    Quoted message said:

    tip the cab driver...

    Yes, he drove you; you could have driven yourself

    Quoted message said:

    tip the busboy..

    No; they make minimum wage and get tip-shares

    Quoted message said:

    tip the matre de..

    Only if you're trying to cop a better table or get in ahead of someone else

    Quoted message said:

    tip the newsboy...

    What for?

    Quoted message said:

    tip the garbage man..

    No; union wages probably apply here

    Quoted message said:

    tip the mailman..

    No; they make better money than I do

    Quoted message said:

    etc
    etc

    Where the hell does all this end?!!!!

    When you figure out who should be tipped and who shouldn't OR when people
    start earning a living wage.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.