Tire blows off and wheel goes out of true

Three times in my biking life I have had a tire blow off the rim with a
bang. Two were stupid errors on my part and happened during inflation:
careless installation of tube and overinflation. The third time was
JRA.

In each case, the wheel went seriously out of true. Why? What got
loosened or bent? What force caused it?

Pat O'Neil

On 11 Apr 2006 20:48:05 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Three times in my biking life I have had a tire blow off the rim with a
>bang. Two were stupid errors on my part and happened during inflation:
>careless installation of tube and overinflation. The third time was
>JRA.
>
>In each case, the wheel went seriously out of true.

Out of true, or did the flange on one side bulge out? There's a big
difference. The latter is usually only going to happen when the
braking surface on the rim is badly worn.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Yep, this happened to one of my oldest MTB wheels. The rim braking
surface separated at the seam (not welded), which allowed the tire bead
to escape. I was running fat-boys on it at 75 psi. I bent it back with
an adjustable wrench, and have been running it for a year at 60 psi.

The braking surface on this wheel is almost comical. Most of the damage
occured in one long ride of Waterton canyon outside Denver. It was
raining the whole 35 miles off-road, and the brakes were grinding the
whole time. Still, the wheel is like 10 years old now...

-Mike

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Mike Reed" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yep, this happened to one of my oldest MTB wheels. The rim braking
> surface separated at the seam (not welded), which allowed the tire bead
> to escape. I was running fat-boys on it at 75 psi. I bent it back with
> an adjustable wrench, and have been running it for a year at 60 psi.
>
> The braking surface on this wheel is almost comical. Most of the damage
> occured in one long ride of Waterton canyon outside Denver. It was
> raining the whole 35 miles off-road, and the brakes were grinding the
> whole time. Still, the wheel is like 10 years old now...

It is due an honorable retirement. Hang it on the wall.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "Mike Reed" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Yep, this happened to one of my oldest MTB wheels. The rim braking
> > surface separated at the seam (not welded), which allowed the tire bead
> > to escape. I was running fat-boys on it at 75 psi. I bent it back with
> > an adjustable wrench, and have been running it for a year at 60 psi.
> >
> > The braking surface on this wheel is almost comical. Most of the damage
> > occured in one long ride of Waterton canyon outside Denver. It was
> > raining the whole 35 miles off-road, and the brakes were grinding the
> > whole time. Still, the wheel is like 10 years old now...

> It is due an honorable retirement. Hang it on the wall.

Hey, I just replaced that damaged CF fork. My allowance "agreement"
with my wife prevents me from too rapid of a parts replacement
schedule. New chainrings in May... MTB wheel in June maybe? I probably
should get a White Industries front hub to match my SS ENO rear... I
might have to wait 'til July...

-Mike

[email protected] wrote:

> Three times in my biking life I have had a tire blow off the rim with a
> bang. Two were stupid errors on my part and happened during inflation:
> careless installation of tube and overinflation. The third time was
> JRA.
>
> In each case, the wheel went seriously out of true. Why? What got
> loosened or bent? What force caused it?

I've had them blow off because a steel rim was splayed and no longer
held the bead properly. Therefore the rim was damaged first.