Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Tire Price vs Tire Performance

Started by biknfish · · Last activity · 8 posts · 292 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
11 May 2005
Last activity
13 May 2005
Original author
biknfish
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
292
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My mountain bike came with specialized s-works roll x tires on it. I
    will be needing a new tire soon, and have a hard time spending $50 on a
    replacement when xc tires can be found in the $14-25 range. What will
    I be giving up if I go with the cheaper tires? Is it performance,
    name, durability, safety, or is the difference in price not at all
    justified?

    Thanks for your help.

  2. biknfish said:

    My mountain bike came with specialized s-works roll x tires on it. I
    will be needing a new tire soon, and have a hard time spending $50 on
    a replacement when xc tires can be found in the $14-25 range. What
    will I be giving up if I go with the cheaper tires? Is it
    performance, name, durability, safety, or is the difference in price
    not at all justified?

    Assume these are regular, "tubed" tires and not UST? Buy a pair of Mythos
    XC or Fire XC Pros (or Velociraptors or...) -- dirt cheap at many LBSs and
    via mail order.

    Bill "pun intended" S.

  3. Yes...regular tubed tires. Thanks

  4. biknfish said:

    My mountain bike came with specialized s-works roll x tires on it. I
    will be needing a new tire soon, and have a hard time spending $50 on a
    replacement when xc tires can be found in the $14-25 range. What will
    I be giving up if I go with the cheaper tires? Is it performance,
    name, durability, safety, or is the difference in price not at all
    justified?

    Mountain bike tires are very terrain specific. There may be tires out
    there that are much cheaper *and* you will like better. Expensive tires
    are generally lighter. Usually this is at the expense of some
    durability. Often prices for the same tires can vary wildly from place
    to place and on/off sale. Some brands offer tires in "retail" and "OEM"
    branding, they might be very different tires, even with the same name.
    If you can, try to talk to local riders about what they like and where
    they buy them. For general reviews check out MTBR.com. If you're just
    riding around and not pushing any envelopes, just find something cheap.
    Most people really don't need $50 tires, and if they do, they wait until
    they're on sale for $25.

  5. biknfish said:

    My mountain bike came with specialized s-works roll x tires on it. I
    will be needing a new tire soon, and have a hard time spending $50 on


    a

    Quoted message said:

    replacement when xc tires can be found in the $14-25 range. What


    will

    Quoted message said:

    I be giving up if I go with the cheaper tires? Is it performance,
    name, durability, safety, or is the difference in price not at all
    justified?

    Thanks for your help.

    Really nothing, in the grand scheme of things. We just got some Conti
    Ultra Sports, REALLY nice tire for $15 retail...in a blind test, no .5
    offa century, .1 offa ton rider could tell the difference between this
    and some $50 wonder regardless of what the stinkin' internet web site
    says about how 'superior' a fifty buck tire is.

    Bike stuff is getting way to expensive, IMHO...too much stuff for
    'sellin', not enough stuff for 'ridin'....

  6. enginneered tires are hand made by craftsmen under less than ideal
    working conditions=$

  7. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    biknfish said:

    My mountain bike came with specialized s-works roll x tires


    on it. I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    will be needing a new tire soon, and have a hard time


    spending $50 on

    Quoted message said:

    a

    Quoted message said:

    replacement when xc tires can be found in the $14-25 range.


    What

    Quoted message said:

    will

    Quoted message said:

    I be giving up if I go with the cheaper tires? Is it


    performance,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    name, durability, safety, or is the difference in price not


    at all

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    justified?

    Thanks for your help.

    Really nothing, in the grand scheme of things. We just got some


    Conti

    Quoted message said:

    Ultra Sports, REALLY nice tire for $15 retail...in a blind


    test, no .5

    Quoted message said:

    offa century, .1 offa ton rider could tell the difference


    between this

    Quoted message said:

    and some $50 wonder regardless of what the stinkin' internet


    web site

    Quoted message said:

    says about how 'superior' a fifty buck tire is.

    Bike stuff is getting way to expensive, IMHO...too much stuff


    for

    Quoted message said:

    'sellin', not enough stuff for 'ridin'....

    No sh**. When I can buy a mid-range 40K mile tire for my car for
    less than a top quality 5-600 mile clincher, things are seriously
    out of whack. Remember, both are laid-up by hand, so the
    handmade BS does not carry much weight with me. This is all
    market driven, and market elasticity will determine the ultimate
    price.

    What is amazing to me is that the Park truing stand is whithin
    $30 of what I paid in 1980 or '81. And the current stand is a
    better product. Rims are about three to four times more -- same
    with tires, saddles, cassettes (freewheels), chains and some
    other stuff. Components are harder to assess because some cheap
    stuff is better than the old top of the line. I paid $35-40 for
    a NR derailleur in '73-74 (should have bought a Suntour for $15,
    but it lacked status) and can get a better Shimano 105 today on
    sale for about the same price. Top of the line DuraAce or
    Campagnolo, though, that's a lot of bucks. I can't shift enough
    times to get a good return on my money with that stuff. -- Jay
    Beattie.

  8. There can be incredible variation of price for the same tire. For
    example, at my LBS, Vittoria Evo CX clincher tires are $60. At
    totalcycling.com, $32. Guess which ones I buy?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.